Rap You're Liking

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    walter_chron said:
    bassie said:
    I've had a Strutter project on repeat. It's going to be a beautiful thing.

Parts 1 and 2 are still on heavy rotation and never came off my iphone since they came out. Part 3 will probably follow suit.
    Jim Jones Vampire Life 3

This.

Yeah I been listening to this, too. Pretty good, but, what is up with the track "Go DJ" labeled as produced by Joe Black when it's clearly the same beat that Jahlil did for the (far superior IMO) Ace Hood joint, 'Motive'?? wtf

and yeah, Pusha is fuckin killin it right now for sure. Can't wait for MNIMN.

I'm kinda surprised Jahlil isn't bigger. He has a couple of nice tracks with Ace Hood on Legend Era, too.
    He's sounds nice to me. I mean both these tracks/same beat are fire.

I am getting to VL3 and The Brown Tape being my favourite long plays of the year.

I still have to listen to to MNIMN. If it comes out vinyl I will be very excited. I'll settle for a 12 of Numbers on the Board.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The Pusha T album was streaming from his Myspace page a few days ago, but when I settled down to listen to it that evening, it turned out to be just 45-second clips of each track. Which was probably a lot more fun for Myspace's marketing department or people who wanted to hear Chris Brown's autotuned hooks than it was for people who wanted to hear Pusha.

Obvious disclaimers notwithstanding, there are a couple of things that sounded really good, and Push sounds as commanding as ever. But quite a lot of it seemed so-so, and I get the feeling we may have already heard most of the best cuts.

Not really made the time to give this new Cam a listen yet, but he supposedly flips the Golden Girls theme, The Lion Sleeps Tonight and Talk To Me by Jodeci, and I'm hearing the phrase "return to form" being tossed around, so...

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I never really thought Cam'ron fell off, so it's more of a "maintain-form" to me-- I liked that whole Boss of All Bosses series.
    The Lion Sleeps flip is sloppy, imo-- it was on that UnLost files thing that came out last year but didn't have Yo Gotti on it. The Golden Girls beat is entertaining enough. The thing I'm really liking about this tape is it's got two of my favorite types of Cam tracks on it: one of those stream of consciousness/no chorus Cam tracks that you end up digesting over several listens:

and the Cam-as-everyman track which he's been pretty good at over the last five years or so

DocMcCoy said:

Obvious disclaimers notwithstanding, there are a couple of things that sounded really good, and Push sounds as commanding as ever. But quite a lot of it seemed so-so, and I get the feeling we may have already heard most of the best cuts.

Yea, I agree.
    And front to back, it has too much of Kanye's blood running through it. I haven't really gone back to it and ended up enjoying the Cam that much more. I agree with Jim Beam, Cam never fell off to me either, more like he had a run of not so great production/beats.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Free streaming of the LOEG'z album dropping next week...

http://www.djbooth.net/index/albums/review/loegz-leagueshit#stream

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    the cam is full of great stuff. was real nice to hear this given how dope max & jim were over this beat:

the golden girls track is actually great.

*hiive fiive**hiive fiive**hiive fiive*....

where is juelz?

the earl album is pretty strong after a dozen or so listens

• Herm said:

The first part is eerily reminiscent of the Deion Sanders video.

I'm not crazy about his voice, but I did like this, especially the beat change ups.

Grandfather said:
    this PSK mix from Teeko and Ruckazoid is NUTS

https://s3.amazonaws.com/THEMUTHAFUNKINMIX/PSK-MF-MIX.mp3

nice

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Kendrick's verse is ridiculous and all, but Jay Rock just slaughters this.

Step Brothers 2 is really good.

DocMcCoy said:
    Kendrick's verse is ridiculous and all, but Jay Rock just slaughters this.

No, he doesn't. That is what's known as a standard-baseline-average-mediocre. It's enough to keep him in the circle, but that's about it.

Also, Schoolboy Q should quit rapping altogether after that monstrosity.

Kendrick is clearly the only exceptional rapper in his clique.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    No strut love for the new Em?

• Eugkh. That's for the new Pusha T (feeling it) and that Kendrick verse.

Watch LA take they styles back....

Is he killing Drake for the good of humanity?

• HarveyCanal said:

Also, Schoolboy Q should quit rapping altogether after that monstrosity.

Did you like his Bad Habits album?

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Do motherfuckers let a beat breathe anymore? I don't need a whole encyclopedia thrown at me on top of a beat. I mean, Kendrick is nice, but it's not something I wanna listen to everyday. I guess kids can relate to him and copy his fashion and what not too, but a lot of these dudes seem like they just came out of the Diamond Supply store and had their mixtape drop on youtube last year, and all they wanna talk about is selling coke. Shit gets old, quick.

I can fuck with some of that Starlito and Don Trip stuff though.

Man, is this really the best that rap has to offer right now? (Sorry to hijack) Please explain. To me, the dude in this clip just sounds like an extension of Lil Wayne, not the Carter II Lil Wayne, but the Leopard-print boot wearing Wayne that started calling himself a Martian and wanted to fuck every girl in the world Wayne.

Yall recommend me some grown man raps that is also catchy?

• yuichi said:
    Man, is this really the best that rap has to offer right now? (Sorry to hijack) Please explain. To me, the dude in this clip just sounds like an extension of Lil Wayne, not the Carter II Lil Wayne, but the Leopard-print boot wearing Wayne that started calling himself a Martian and wanted to fuck every girl in the world Wayne.

Well, first, that song is like two years old now ..... second, that shit is still fucking awesome

seriously?

• yuichi said:
    the dude in this clip

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm REALLY feelin' the new Devin album. Been on repeat almost as long as Jonny's latest mix.

• walter_chron said:
    yuichi said:

Well, first, that song is like two years old now ..... second, that shit is still fucking awesome

seriously?

'Bitches say I'm hot man I told her I agree,
    She gonna really think I'm hot if i told her my degrees'

LOL so corny.

walter_chron said:
    yuichi said:

seriously?

You know that artificial flavor shit that wears off once you eat it?.....

If you're older than 25 and feel empowered/inspired by this shit, more power to you.

still gotta check out the new devin.

anyone like the new nipsey hussle? summertime in that cutlass, crenshaw and slauson, and the 2nd hidden track at the end are all great. wouldn't pay $100 bucks for them, tho... (edit: but that's a great idea.)

ketan said:
    still gotta check out the new devin.

anyone like the new nipsey hussle? summertime in that cutlass, crenshaw and slauson, and the 2nd hidden track at the end are all great. wouldn't pay $100 bucks for them, tho...

It's in the hopper, have not got to it yet. I'm still a big fan of the first two Bullets Ain't Got No Name and The Marathon.

This is a good interview with him.
    http://m.complex.com/music/2013/10/nipsey-hussle-interview

• nobody else on that My Name Is My Name, eh?

I gotta go grab that Devin.

bassie said:

damn, nice read.

Herm said:
    I'm REALLY feelin' the new Devin album.

Just getting into it and first track is big. Hard to make a sax like that work, but it succeeeds.

Suicide is great on the Pusha T album. One of the best Pharrell beats in a while...

Liva is under-rated.

• One of my favorite producers and one of my favorite rappers killin it with this song, dam.