If you would come into an inheritance...

finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
edited October 2013 in Strut Central
and you would get 150000$ in cash, hypothetically speaking. And you would like to start a music related buisiness to make a living.
What would that be?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I would put all towards soulstrut.com's bills and then just watch the dollars roll in

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    dukeofdelridge said:
    I would put all towards soulstrut.com's bills and then just watch the dollars roll in

awesome! :balla:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "Music related business" and "making a living" do not go together well.

Best bet, put the money into ads in the back of magazines saying 'songwriters wanted, lyrics needed'.
    Then offer to set lyrics to your beats for a charge.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• Options
    Car wash.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the two most profitable music related ventures I know of are selling rare records online - not on ebay if possible and or selling used/old/rare music equipment of all kinds.
    developing a customer base derived from your sales to customers on ebay is the way to go imho,or having your own website for teh rarers.

also - [and this is huge] guitars,amps,speakers,drum machines,synths,tape decks of all kinds,tape stock [used]pedals,mixers,rack gear,samplers etc.
    there is an endless amount of rack gear festering in studios all over the country that can be had for a pittance since computers/plugs are the rage and can marked up considerably and sold to " that guy" who has to have that one special piece to make that special sound that will satiate his musical thirst,and make him famous.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

• NabozoNabozo 48 Posts
    fuck it, i'd try setting up a shop with a selection just for the fun
    or a small venue if I had the contacts and an idea of what I was doing

• 150,000 lottery tickets

• My long time dream is to open a record store that doubles as a label / in-house design company. All album art / poster design and screen printing would be done on site.

An inheritance / personal benefactor would definitely help make this a reality

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Don't. Do. It.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I would spread the muthafucking wealth

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    On the serious side though.
    Is there money to be made manufacturing small-run vinyl these days?
    With the upsurge in the market...seems like you might actually be able to make a go at this sort of thing right now. Boutique/local-related.
    What might start-up costs be for that sort of endeavor these days?
    Or is the market flooded already?

Who among us knoweth-the-deal?

• soulstrut pizza party

• Hypothetically speaking, what are you good at?
    Because that is where you should invest your money.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    TheKindCromang said:
    My long time dream is to open a record store that doubles as a label / in-house design company. All album art / poster design and screen printing would be done on site.

This is exactly what I do.

It's not a recipe for opulence.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    not to crush your dreams, but as somebody making a living with music i d strongly advise you to not blow your inheritence money on a dream.. if you got other means of income or security, fair enough, but the last thing i would do with an inheritence would be to inest in anything music related. there is barely any money in running a label, same goes for selling your own music.. the way to go these days is to do it as a hobby, and once you reach a certain momentum you can decide to go for it or chose the safe way..
    the only thing that comes to mind would be to set up a professional recording studio with lots of desirable (vintage) gear, but this also largely depends on location, how skilled you are etc. friends of mine do this succesfully here in the netherlands and earn way more than you would think by renting the space out.

• Wait, is this serious?
    Real talk, Dont do it.

The only way to make legit money in the industry is by being a really popular touring artist and if you're not that already inheritance money wont help.I make more money in one night on tour as a member of my group then I have in 3 years running PL70 - and even if i was stealing money from the artists like a real label it still wouldn't change anything.

Unlike the days of yore, there's not even money in being a thief con artist label owner, what with streaming etc. Throwing money at PR and pressing things wont change anything. Owning a studio in 2013 is a fools dream with home recording and 64 bit plug ins heading in the direction they are, I know plenty of amazing studios - in LA - that have shut down because people just don't need them.

If this is for real, then don't look at this as us peeing on your dream.

Look at it as us advising you not to start a pay phone company in 1995.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    follow your dreams bro don't listen to any of these haterz

• I would have a club/venue. Not based on business knowledge of any kind, it's just what I would want to do.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i would buy a few 3D printers, team up with a CAD master, and start patenting audio and power adapters. then sell them to order.

• invest in video games.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    follow your dreams bro don't listen to any of these haterz

You can follow dreams but you can't buy them....at least not for $150K

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    If I came into a $150K inheritance, I would put almost all of it toward early principal payment on my mortgage and keep it movin'.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Soul Strut club house in NYC.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Is this pre or post tax money?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Is this pre or post tax money?

post, hypothetically speaking.

• Depending on local laws and the market a licensed venue with a provision for entertainment......value add the fuck out of it.

A friend of mine started small, 100 capacity bar with a booth, in time he added 2 more small venues each time increasing his patronage and reach with performers, bureaucrats, contractors, etc. 10 years on he is opening a venue for 800, owns a touring agency and design concern.

Really motivated and savvy dude, has a fun and rewarding life. Only person I really envy.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would invest half of it in low risk mutual funds and then take the other half over to my friend Asadulah who works in securities...

Then I would dance.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    invest in video games.

Hmmm... I was in that business for a while when it was good. But that industry has collapsed here. It's become a mature market and it goes like this:

Outside of a handful of massive "Brand Names" that are based in countries (like America's Davy Crockett hat) that give tax braekz to that industry, it's hard to make any money. COD, GTA, Halo, WOW have megabucks behind them, and dominate marketing. New-release-3AM-lines-around-the-block affairs.

At the other end of the spectrum, there are the bored bedroom-genius kids who knock out an iphone app in a couple of weeks and it strikes a chord and gets 3 million downloads in a month. Kid retires.

There were mid-sized games houses that were corporate owned and given a deal as a punt on becoming a brand name. Their accountants just do the sums and ask their staff how just one (1) Bored Kid (BK) can make (BK$) amount on an iphone app, while they have a team of twenty (20) payrolled staff not making them 20 X (BK$).

So they've all been closed down. It doesn't help that, at the behest of Marketing, they've been asked to bat out clones of the mega-brand names. But with less resources and time, of course. So the product is already off to a bad start.

Artist brother and his wife were laid off couple of years ago and are now freelance and doing well (he did my Einstein), but 95% of their work is not game-related. A lot of their ex-colleagues are struggling.