If you would come into an inheritance...

13»

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't despair. My sister has a great idea of what to do with the money.

Move to LA, team up with Guzzo, and start a reality based DJ competition.
    I will give you a few ideas for free.

DJing With The Stars - Roseanne Barr, Tom DeLay, Leo Sayer, Jenna Jameson and George Zimmerman compete to see who will be Americas next celebrity DJ. Judges include... I'll let you guys do the list.

Who Wants to be America's Next DJ - Amateur DJs compete to see who can sell the most bottle service at real LA clubs. Aspiring DJs are coached by real professional DJs. I'll let you guys do the list.

America's Top DJ - Same as above but using working professional DJs who have to sell bottle service while navigating lame musical requests from drunk patrons, high rollers who want to try to scratch "just once, please" and club owners who promise they will pay you tomorrow.

If any of these shows already exist I apologize. I don't have cable.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Frank said:
    finelikewine said:
    Thanks for all the answers so far! How about opening a smal music venue or club? Has anyone here ever run a club?
    What are the dos and don'ts?

$150.000 would be a tight budget even for a small club. Only German city I'd even consider would be Berlin as leases are much cheaper than anywhere else in the country (unless you want to go to the East -but who would want to go there?) and you can stay open all night plus there are loads of nightlife tourists coming in from the rest of Europe every weekend. I'd go for a smaller venue with 100-200 capacity a bit off the beaten tracks but close to a subway station where several lines intersect and make sure there are and will be no apartments in the same building or right next door, best is to aim for a non-residential neighborhood. Maybe take over a dilapidated old drinking hole that already has the plumbing and the license. I'd say it all completely depends on what type of person you are, if you have the ability to come up with a good program for 6 nights a week and work all night, every night for years to come. I wouldn't want to be closed for more nights than Mondays. You might have to illegally live in there for the first year or two until you start making a profit that won't have to be re-invested right away. Don't take in partners or loan money from the bank.

Good suggestions, thanks for that. Whenever I'm in Berlin, I have the impression that the whole city is already fraught with clubs.
    Don't you think that there are already too much clubs? What would you suggest to do to stand out from all theses masses of clubs?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    finelikewine said:
    Whenever I'm in Berlin, I have the impression that the whole city is already fraught with clubs.
    Don't you think that there are already too much clubs? What would you suggest to do to stand out from all theses masses of clubs?

No, I don't think that there already are too many clubs in Berlin. The fact that there are quite many of them is an indicator of an alive and healthy club scene. A lot of young people from all over Europe (and the US) have been moving to Berlin in recent years, when you go out you will notice that some venues half or more of the crowd speaks Spanish or English. There are more people in the right age group than most anyplace else in Europe and even though the city is notoriously broke (which is a very good thing), Berliners for the most part have a bit more spending money than other places. Just look at the rent in the rest of Europe:

The last question can only be answered by yourself. If you doubt you have the creativity to come up with something great or the stamina to go through with it no matter what and if you don't feel the urgency to just go and do it then you really shouldn't be doing it. Don't look at a decision like this just as a business decision but as a life decision. So don't be spontaneous. Regardless what you do with it, you want to make sure that $150.000 really will be enough so extensive research should always come first.