whatcha listening to?

Comments

• Prince - "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"

Just listened to this. Presently flipping the record over.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Prince - "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"

That record has another side?

• Prince - "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"

If you are implying that the first side of Sign O The Times is the best of the four, then I agree wholeheartedly.
    If, on the other hand, you are responding in this fashion because you have a copy of this song on a single sided 12", I must implore you to approach your response with a more merciful disposition and spare this little dude some embarrasment.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Prince - "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"

If you are implying that the first side of Sign O The Times is the best of the four, then I agree wholeheartedly.
    If, on the other hand, you are responding in this fashion because you have a copy of this song on a single sided 12", I must implore you to approach your response with a more merciful disposition and spare this little dude some embarrasment.

No, I was just trying to be colorful. That song is one of my top four or five ever, so I tend to focus on it to the (regrettable) detriment of almost everything else on there.

I don't think one exists, but I'd kill a brick to get a twelve-inch of that.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    a lot of Emitt Rhodes lately.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Anyone else kinda collect those MOJO giveaway CDs? I have been hooked on em for a minute now. You won't find better comps generally for the price(free).

I've been recently digging one of their comps where they let the Chili Peppers pick some of their favorite tunes. A nice mix of stuff, from James and Sly, to the Wipers and Adolescents, to Zappa and Funkadelic.

I think HARMONIA is on there as well, right???

• a lot of Emitt Rhodes lately.

I love this album...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

........Anyway, next up is some J. Mcgriff or something, I need some
    funk after the dissapointment.

right on bro........you can't go wrong with Mr Topkapi

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

nice one, "solid satin" is my shit...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I don't understand why folks are crazy for splashdown, this is the better of thier 2 LP's

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Syl Johnson - Concrete Reservation

Great song. My kid sings this whenever it comes on. 6 years old and he memorized the entire 1st half of the song.

Heavy lyrics - s/he have questions?

At 6 years old? It's all just words to him to a song he likes.

the sweet and innocents...in the parlance of our times, "real heads know"

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FMH146MJMKLZ0E35I1Y58QNWT

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• Options

RBV,

You killed it on the LARGE tip! BEing so stocked, my advice is not let loose anything you'll regret.

Kudos, K.

P.S. You best buy teh Beat Dawg thesaurus.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Right now, "Welcome Home" by Groove Holmes

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Right now, "Welcome Home" by Groove Holmes

How is that? I've passed on it many times...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    It's like a subdued Jimmy McGriff "Honey". I wouldn't pay more than $10 for it.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    rubbish visual with a little showing off, eh? looks like your records are pretty beat up...ha.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    just finished Esctacy, Passion and Pain S/T on Roulette....before that a weird one, Jimmie Raye "The Soul thing" on Asante...before that 'im jimmy reed' on VeeJay... all new digs from a just completed up and down the west coast road trip... hoping to have pix of the haul on a weekend digs asap... great listening!

coshiz on the mojo comps, the soundtrack one from 1-2 years back was great and the 'essential' series.... mojo is the only 'major' mag worth a damn these days.

• blaqsoulblaqsoul 61 Posts

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    new daft punk

new beck 12"

Silicon Soul lp reish...great comp of this amazing nyc no-wave/dance/electronic group who are famous for "who needs sleep tonight"...dubby club music.

Skee-Lo "i wish" sunshine sound remix 12"...3 or 4 dope mixes plus acapella=mixing and blending heaven

Wreck All-Stars "one touch"...early 90s Kenny Dope production that samples Alicia Myers "i want to thank you" and Slave's "just a touch of love".

Nice and Smooth "the sky's the limit" off "jewel of the nile" lp...whole album is great but "sky's the limit" i've been feelin'...samples Prince "i wanna be your lover" and uses john mellencamp in the lyrics!

Bobby Culture "funky reggae party" 12" on claypot...nice discomix reggae from 1982...

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Sharon Jones & Dap-Kings "Naturally"

& a couple of spins last night:

Quartette Tres Bien - Boss Tres Bien
    Leon Spencer - Where I'm Coming From
    (Hubert Laws flute playing is great)
    Ted Heath - Spinning Wheel
    (phase 4 LP with a swinging version...)

+ Frank D'Rone - Think I Will 45
    Found a spare of this killer swinging mod/blue eyed soul tune,
    and it's back on the play list

+ Stretch - Why Did You Do It? 45
    classic

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Syl Johnson - Concrete Reservation

Great song. My kid sings this whenever it comes on. 6 years old and he memorized the entire 1st half of the song.

Heavy lyrics - s/he have questions?

At 6 years old? It's all just words to him to a song he likes.

Just asking! The kids I know ask a million questions about everything - most of which are hard to answer.

Are we continuing this today?

Turtles - You Showed Me

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts

Our Time is Coming.

the sweet and innocents...in the parlance of our times, "real heads know"

http://s42.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2FMH146MJMKLZ0E35I1Y58QNWT

I must be slipping, did this not become anyone elses new favorite song for the springtime like it did mine when I first heard it?

• Original Five Blind Boys of Alabama ??? Oh Lord, Stand By Me / Marching Up To Zion

• Rolling Stones-Emotional Rescue
    Spinna &Bobbito- Wonder Wrote it pt 2
    Faith- The First Lady