iOS 7

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central

thoughts? don't really understand why they would replace buttons with bare text. even though the flatter design is supposed to look simpler, it's actually pretty busy and confusing to navigate through.

Comments

• I've had it for a few weeks and while I hated it at first, looking at 6 now feels archaic and clunky. Phone has been moving WAY faster.
    A dark background on the desktop makes it look a lot nicer.

• I got it today and so far I'm liking it. My only major beef is that you can't seem to delete messages and emails by swiping them, is there another shortcut?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I like it so far, some very convenient new (to iOS) features. I think a lot of people who complain about the legibility of the new layout have background pics that contribute to the visual confusion, if you keep it simple/dark it's very easy to read IMO.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    toby.d said:
    I got it today and so far I'm liking it. My only major beef is that you can't seem to delete messages and emails by swiping them, is there another shortcut?

I think you swipe in the opposite direction now...

• Don't sweat it. iOS 8 is coming out on Christmas Eve, and iOS 9 next February.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    asstro said:
    toby.d said:
    I got it today and so far I'm liking it. My only major beef is that you can't seem to delete messages and emails by swiping them, is there another shortcut?

I think you swipe in the opposite direction now...

I wish I had known this before I smashed my phone in a drunken frustrated rage.

• yeah i just updated last night so i'm still trying to get used to it.

is there a way to disable the zoom in/out effect when you open an app? not only does it seem slower but it's kind of disorienting

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    looks cool but like straight up wholesale ripping off some android shit

• Is it true that it forces you to update iTunes and if so, does it screw up Serato?

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Not jailbreakable = not doing it

• I think I'm going to take the plunge tonight. Hesitated upgrading right away because NI put out an email saying a lot of their apps are having audio issues with iOS 7. But then I remembered... wait... I have Maschine and Traktor on my phone for absolutely no productive reasons.

What are your favourite new features?

• Heres the thing that drove me crazy at first that i couldnt figure out:

If you want to kill/turn off an app:

Double click home button
    Scroll through with finger left to right to see open apps
    Drag app you want to kill UP

The new camera with square mode is rad for instagram as is the HDR

I find the home screen looks best with the slate grey background.

The new weather layout and stocks layout bugged me at first but i have come to appreciate them. All in all i think ios7 is a huge improvement.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    BeatChemist said:

What are your favourite new features?

For the first few hours I was on the fence about the upgrade. But now I'm really enjoying it.

Fav feature for me is control center. When I stop wanting to jailbreak around iphone3, it was the only thing I missed. It is extremely handy to be in an app and swipe up and have direct access to things like wifi, flashlight, screen brightness, etc etc etc.

Other things I like.

Multitask. Switching. It's something I liked from when my gf had her palm phone.

Activation Lock - This is a really great feature which is big, but won't get much shine until you need it.

In your txt convo, swipe right to left. Time stamp...

I'm looking forward to getting a 5S for AirDrop.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    One word of advice: backup your phone before updating.
    Lost a month of pictures etc etc today :whycry:

leon said:
    One word of advice: backup your phone before updating.
    Lost a month of pictures etc etc today :whycry:

This is a must... I think people get tired of hearing me constantly telling them to back up in general.

One more small thing I'm liking. In safari. Swiping left and right will let you go back n forth to pages you were on. Nice...

• Yep gonna do this tonight.

Thanks for the info everyone, especially Thes and DOR!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I updated my ipad mini last night, so far I can't say I like it.

Looks like across between the hotmail redesign and an android phone. Some of it just looks plain shitty IMHO. So much stark white & thin lines, mixed with soft pastel shading and supurfulous animation on everything. bleh. tiny little group folders that when open are only a quarter of the screen size, so you have to scroll to select the app you want even though the rest of the screen is fucking empty. Apple products are not meant to be like this, that's why I'm willing to pay the premium price for them.

Maybe on an iPhone this shit looks right, maybe there's a bunch of features that I'm not using yet that make it worth the hype. But so far going on design and functionality on the ipad I think it's a real step backwards.

• Don't really love this or hate it so far. For people using iPhones for several generations, it's obviously going to be a pretty big adjustment. It's the first major interface departure since the very first phone.

I agree that the design does look generic in a certain way.

not loving the naked text with no visual cues that something is a button...just seems weird

love how notes doesn't look like a bright yellow notepad

hate how the music player is filling in artwork automatically from the cloud

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Herm said:
    Is it true that it forces you to update iTunes and if so, does it screw up Serato?

I've got an iPhone 4 and it forced me to update iTunes... not sure about Serato

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Loving it.

Control centre is great. Killing apps by swiping up is great. The flat, minimal design is appealing, and the phone does feel faster.

What I do miss, though, is being able to swipe down from any screen to know what the temp is outside. First world problems etc.

parallax said:
    What I do miss, though, is being able to swipe down from any screen to know what the temp is outside. First world problems etc.

Switch to Today view. While not as nice as how it was IMO. It should display something like... Currently clear and the current temperature.

DOR said:
    parallax said:

Switch to Today view. While not as nice as how it was IMO. It should display something like... Currently clear and the current temperature.

Thanks, Homie...Tried that and it just shows a calendar of the day's events. No weather...What am I missing?

Found out you can also BLOCK calls. Laters to robo-calls!

Edit: Okay, weird...weather now shows. Good enough!

Must be a setting somewhere. Mine looks something like this.

Mine looks like that now. What I was seeing previously was the same screen, but no weather info, just the calendar. Oddly enough, after opening the native weather app, an app I stopped using many months ago, the weather then appeared on "Today view"...

No biggie, it works now.

Anyway to lose the default Disney/Apple/Yahoo icons when opening a new page? Shit is irritating.

• The only real gripes I have are with the music player, and they're minor:

- I can no longer swipe-delete an album or song.

- I don't like that clicking on an artist brings up all their songs sorted by album. I prefer how it was before: seeing albums (almost as folders). Does that make sense?

Other than that, I'm really diggin' it.

• edith head said:
    is there a way to disable the zoom in/out effect when you open an app? not only does it seem slower but it's kind of disorienting

Just found it!

Settings>General>Accessibility>Reduce Motion

It was kinda bugging me, too.

• hogginthefogg said:

Slide those songs to the left and they gone.

• white_tea said:
    hogginthefogg said:

Slide those songs to the left and they gone.

Why was that so difficult? I used to be able to do with albums, but it's not that tough to go through and do it song by song. Thanks.

• I like how the Soulstrut app is now fully separate from Safari. But I don't like how it is not multi-tasking enabled. If you navigate away from it, it goes back to the forum home even if you were reading a thread. Also, if you open a link that was posted in a thread, there is no way to navigate back to the thread.

GET ON IT RAJ!!!!!!!!!!