Robocop Redux (Robocop-R)

ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
edited September 2013 in Strut Central
there's a trailer out for the new version:

I'm always skeptical of remakes, especially when it comes to something as unfuckwithable as Robocop, but this doesn't look half-bad. I like how they flipped the story on its head, with dude still remembering his past life (at least that what is seems according to the trailer).

any thoughts?

speaking of remakes, when are they going to do a remake of They Live? That movie is ripe for an update.

Comments

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Looks pretty forgettable to me. I mean, why bother? The original still holds up. Is it just a symptom of creative bankruptcy?

• Lacks the cynicism of the first one.
    They blow him up instead of shoot him to pieces? That is so stupid/weak

The OG was a satire piece on violence with some grit, this looks like a transformers movie.

• The OG was really ahead of it's time with all of the 80s Reganomics/Corp ish. That COULD work with the redux. I know they've been wanting to reboot this for a long time and Robert Rodrigez was originally working on it or trying to get it going.

As for "They Live", they were supposed to be working on a remake of that joint from what I've heard.

• My favorite line from the original:

Give him a hand.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    yeah, I don't think this will have the cynism of Paul Verhoeven. The director did some good films here in Brazil, one an amazing doc called Bus 174, then two fiction films about Rio police that were pretty big hits here. Those two caused some controversy because some people claimed they were glorifying the brutality of the Rio police, who have a policy of shoot first, disappear with the body, and don't nobody ask any questions later. I can see why they chose him to do to this film since he doesn't go for the straight good guy vs bad guy thing, but he doesn't have the sense of satire that Verhoeven has.

• I predict this will go the way of the Red Dawn remake.

That is to say, no one will really notice.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    There's no reason to mess with the original. It had the perfect balance of action, humor, violence, social commentary and most of all, a soul. The remake looks like straight cookie cutter hollywood doo doo.

This would've been a better idea.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    WOULD NOT BUY THIS FOR A DOLLAR

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    the original Red Dawn isn't in the same league as Robocop. I can see this getting attention only because the original is such a classic.

but they'll have to do a lot just to live up to these few feet of film:

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Gibbo said:
    Is it just a symptom of creative bankruptcy?

Yes. I'm sure this graphic is preaching to the choir here (plus it's a bit dated but you can see the trend):

b/w

Michael Keaton out of nowhere on this shit...where the fuck has he been?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I'm usually open minded when it comes to remakes, updates, adaptations, "reboots" or whatever you want to call them - they have been Hollywood's tried and true method of turning a profit since the days of silent film, after all - but this looks forgettable. I have to admire Sam Jackson's work ethic. Must he cameo in everything? He's like William Schallert, except with frequent MF-bombs.

• I lost all interest in the Robocop remake when I found out it'll be PG13

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Risingson said:
    I lost all interest in the Robocop remake when I found out it'll be PG13

Typical Hollywood's attempt at lowest common denominator attempt to reach everyone and appeal to no one. Why not just go the whole hog... airbrush out all the guns and replace them with bunches of flowers?

I mean I must have seen the original when I was 11 or 12? Maybe younger. The images of a half melted badguy get turned to slush and people being shot to shit stuck with me. It's a violent world... (cue 98 page political thread spiraling into infinity).

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I love the original, and since pretty much all of the things I liked most about it relate to Verhoeven's input, this strikes me as being every bit as pointless as the remake of Total Recall.

First of all, you should never see Robocop's face - that's exactly the same mistake Stallone made with the first attempt at putting Judge Dredd on screen. Also, a Robocop-vs-robots conflict kind of misses the point of a solitary machine-man in a world of humans (see: Robocop 2). Since the relationship between Clarence Boddicker's gang and OCP is half the story in the o.g., the car-bomb suggests that Murphy's primary antagonists will be shadowy "turrrsts" straight from central casting, so it looks as if any Verhoeven-style cynicism and ambivalence has been deemed a little too complex for yer multiplex crowd to process.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The OG was great, the characters had real bite, in particular Clarence Boddicker :

"BITCHES LEAVE."
    "I don't wanna f*ck with you Sal, but..."
    "YOU BURNT THE F*CKING MONEY!"
    "Can you fly, Bobby?...."

Then there were the adverts, the "I'll buy that for a dollar!" and the ex-mayors ransom demands ...

"We'll even throw in a Blaupunkt."

PG13 means no good lines, unless it's a comedy.

Robocop-vs-robots conflict

Maybe "The Studio" got a look at the Ironman 3 spreadsheet, quiet word in the director's ear as to "What sells". Apparently the director has enjoyed a fractious relationship with the film for some time.

Done got my fingers burnt with soulless Star Wars prequels, I'll pass on this.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    The arcade game to RoboCop was the schittt! Side scroller Contra style with awesome guns.

"DROP IT!" is and will always be teh best line!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DeadgarHoover said:

I don't get this criticism, since the original film has a major scene where you see his face.

I knew I should have qualified this...

In the o.g., you don't see beneath the mask as a matter of course, but it seems that Robocop is flipping up his visor much more regularly throughout this new version. The big reveal in the original derives much of its impact from our realisation that there's a lot more left of Murphy underneath the machine OCP built on top of him than we first thought. Obviously I'm judging solely by the trailer here, and they're often designed to be misleading, but in the new version the idea seems to be to humanise the character of Robocop right away, whereas his humanity was revealed more gradually in the Verhoeven version.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    If they had done that to me, and I became self-aware, first off I would slot them good style and then do myself.

No good being bulletproof if you got no balls.

• I was 8 years old when I saw this in the theater with my mom. I turned out fine.