I also listened to this one about a thousand times on repeat:

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    I don't have any links but some of mine are:

Dj Coldcut - Journeys by DJ Coldcut
    Sasha & John Digweed - Northern Exposure Vol 1
    Mr. Dibbs - Turntable Scientifics
    D Castillo - Do Your Thang
    Jorun - Rock The Discotek
    Dj Yoda - The Essential Mix (11/26/2006)
    Dj Bizkid - All City (Graffiti Theme Music!)
    Matthew Africa - GangStarr Mix 2010
    Jim Sharp - Straighten It Out (Vol 2)
    ** and some ratty old Kenny Ken mix tape that has no labels or anything but has 90 minutes of the illest jungle on it

these are just a few of the ones that I feel as though I could not go a significant amount of time without hearing, they have all been in heavy rotation for quite some time.

• pretty dope track selection and seamless

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

pretty dope track selection and seamless

great one! This mix is done so perfectly, I can't believe it was done live on just on two turntables.

• BowlsBowls 28 Posts
    J Rocc - Sex Machine Today was a revelation in my younger days (freshman in HS when it dropped).

Haven't heard it in a long time, but it's still the first one that pops in my head.

Also, on the more recent tip.......Jay Ski absolutely destroyed The Boom Bap last month. Lots of cutting here and the crowd loved every second of it. Glad the recording came out alright.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    I don't have any links but some of mine are:

Dj Coldcut - Journeys by DJ Coldcut

OMG, this was so awesome when I first heard it, and every time after.

I copped so many rekids off this mix, because of this mix.

Mushroom Jazz I and II are also tops to me.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    Coldcut JDJ was a serious classic in my teens, J Rocc - Sex Machine Today as well.

On a completely different tip i always enjoyed

Bitch Ass Darius - Follow The Sound (Every classic ghettotech track in one mix)
    Dj Craze - Bass Sessions (A lot of classic Miami Bass)

two mixes from scenes i previously associated with pilled up maniacal glaswegians/cheesy out of time 808 cut and paste records.

Also the psychonauts essential mix, just because it didn't really sound like anything else i had heard at the time.

Bon Vivant said:

shit I forgot about those as well....I believe it was mushroom Jazz Vol 2 that had a track that sampled Biz (damn it feels good to see people up on it) that track stood out the most to me I have no clue who the track is by, but I believe it is on another mushroom jazz volume as well...Mark Farina has been in Halifax so many times its not funny, yet I have still haven't seen him live, love to see him do a mushroom jazz set.

first time I heard the dj Coldcut was on CBC's Brave New Waves with Patti Schmidt back in the early 90's (not sure if any hosers tuned into that or not) what was played was just a portion of it and it completely blew my mind..I few nights later I was at the local Tim Horton's tripping on acid and my buddy was bumping it in his Walkman, I told him it was the dopest shit I had heard in a while and i was so jealous he had the whole set...he gave me the cassette and I killed it, it was my first experience with "electronica mash up", I searched and searched for an OG copy of it but never was able to find one, I still have the cassette and now an MP3 of the full set, still to this day its by far one of the illest musical voyages I have ever heard. Sasha & John Digweed - northern exposure is another at the top of my list as one of the most seamless mixes I have heard, I purchased the dual CD (fold out digipac) version for like $70 back in the day, one of the BEST purchases ever.

• Mr Dibbs-live in Memphis
    Dj Numark- live at the Do Over (2009ish)
    Neil Armstrong- 2Original (Live)

• Bowls said:
    J Rocc - Sex Machine Today was a revelation in my younger days (freshman in HS when it dropped).

Haven't heard it in a long time, but it's still the first one that pops in my head

That was the first one I thought of. So smooth and restrained. Simple, but really dope. Kind of like a lesson in being classy. I wasn't even into some of that stuff at the time, like slum village, but I started to appreciate it because of that mix.

dj_cityboy said:
    Bon Vivant said:

shit I forgot about those as well....I believe it was mushroom Jazz Vol 2 that had a track that sampled Biz (damn it feels good to see people up on it) that track stood out the most to me I have no clue who the track is by, but I believe it is on another mushroom jazz volume as well...r.

:feelin_it:

• frenziefrenzie 174 Posts

Cosign on Coldcuts JDJ compilation. That mix was a total game changer, that still carries weight today. Not long after I received Coldcuts "Tone Tales For Tomorrow Too" in the mail. It kind of continues on the mix, but with a more ambient lean, highlighting their Ntone offshoot label. One of the late night hard drink repeat CD's..

I Thought the P Brothers "Zulu Beat" tribute was a great mix. It would have been hard living up to the legendary radio show, but they nicely put their own spin on it, and executed it flawlessly.

I've been a big fan of Japan's DELIC label for a number of years. Those dudes (Particularly Matsumoto Hisaataakaa) were championing edits long before they came fashionable again - And I'm talking about serious machine gun "Latin Rascals" style edits, not just some "cut the guts out of a track and call it an edit"..
    On this CD, the labels leading acts ULTICUT UPS and ABNORMAL YELLOW BAND aka AYB FORCE (Who I gather are kind of one and the same) get all crazy on the Funky Hip Hop tip, as only the Japanese can.

Surely someone has to mention DJ Q Bert in this thread.. This was totally mind blowing back in the day. It's messy, loud, and certainly has it's flaws - But I can't imagine anyone not being inspired after listening to this.

Following on from the DJ Q Bert vibe: DJ REVOLUTION took that cut up breakbeats mixtape thing up a notch.. I absolutely love these style of mixtapes..

And of course, honorable mention to Paul Nice for doing it as well.. The whole cut up breakbeats thing that is..

Around this part of the world DJ RANSOM is an absolute unfuckable legend. He's been doing his thing long before many others, and is the kind of local DJ that just blows any touring DJ straight out of the game. Apart from being one of the first to do pretty much everything in the southern hemisphere, he has done a number of brilliantly executed compilations such as both volumes of "Physics Of Freestyle" and his Perks & Mini collabs (All firm favourites and total game changers in my mind).
    I was hard pressed to pick a favourite mix of his, but I think this "Afrika Addendum" is my current favourite. Just brilliant!

• dj ransom has been ahead of the game for years, yeah. solid styles and skills!

link doesn't work for me >.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    the first ever breaks mixtape (feb93).. and recorded LIVE

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Too many all time favourites, but a recent mix that gets regular play is Mr Thing Nerd Is Bond (available free on mixcloud); top notch tune selection, tasteful beat-juggling, overall a grown-and-sexy vibe for the mature digguer.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Since favorite mixtapes are being thrown in...

• I thought it was Live mixes. Oh well.
    Add Babu-Comprehension
    A game changer for me when it came out!!!
    Especially Kankick beats in the B-Side.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    As my favorite may show i hardly listen to sets (and therefor am grateful for all superb pics in this thread):
    RJD2 Your face or your kneecaps.
    Saw him do the routine live, too. Blew my mind.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Can never have a favorite. But I have been digging this one for a minute now:

B/w how can you embed the soundcloud player into your post? Anyone know?

• Dj Riz on Westwood in 93 is still a huge favorite after all these years.

Sade and Chris Isaak blended with RUN DMC is my highlight.

Bon Vivant said:

:feelin_it:

shit yeah! as soon as I saw the title, I remembered the sample "um talking bout how sweet it is" I need to ebay/Gemm that shit like now, thanks yo!

TheKindCromang said:

Skills.

• TheKindCromang said:
    BITD this was the DJ mix of DJ mixes:

http://www.slowdjs.com/mixes/z-trip-future-primitive-mix-with-radar/

I totally agree with that.

I must add DJ Derrick D "Origins, vol. 1 - Radio Active Breaks". Killer stuff.

I also particularly liked DJ Signify's "Signifyin' Breaks" when it came out. And "Rekonstrukted Elements" by Shortkut!

• axefoleyaxefoley 331 Posts
    cai said:
    the first ever breaks mixtape (feb93).. and recorded LIVE

Nice one! Shame and dj eq's wreckord fiendz is great too.. Shame gave me another mix a few years ago that's killin too.. title is slipping my mind right now.

• There are a lot of great mixes people have mentioned on this thread.

I'm partial to Kon's Strong Love mix

Strong Love by Kon on Mixcloud

Or JayCeeOh's Super Seven Vol 4 feat U-Tern, Cosmo Baker, Skratch Bastid, and others... Everyones contribution blends seamlessly into the other and has great pacing too.

• theres a nice little blog that is cataloging tons of old and newer mixes
    i couldnt find it but its called the top50 or something like that

• TheKindCromang said:

listening to this and liking it a LOT
    thanks