whatcha listening to?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
Bjork and Deodato "Isobel"....her voice works well with Deodato's beat...it is like a CTI record that doesnt suck

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A recent MOJO collection, Studio One Selector...nice shit

Anyone else kinda collect those MOJO giveaway CDs? I have been hooked on em for a minute now. You won't find better comps generally for the price(free).

• Beck - Guero
    home-made Hammond mix

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    yeah, do you have the "Raw Soul" one? that unissued Betty Bibbs "Pounds of Soul" track was worth the price of the magazine...I would love to have that tune on a 45..that track is so so good. I like the Mojo comps, they are really good.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Bjork and Deodato "Isobel"....her voice works well with Deodato's beat...it is like a CTI record that doesnt suck

Can you make with the hook-up? Please.

I'm listening to m??m's Enginn vildi hlusta ?? fi??lunginn, ??v?? strengir hans voru slitnir (geti??i ekki veri?? g???? vi?? m??mmu okkar?) from a soundtrack to a high school play that they did back in the day. It's nostalgic.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    "heavenly music corporation"-fripp + ENO , (no pussyfooting) lp
    can't decide if i'm into this yet.i burned it off a friend + am undecided on keeping it on my ipod.

yeah, do you have the "Raw Soul" one? that unissued Betty Bibbs "Pounds of Soul" track was worth the price of the magazine...I would love to have that tune on a 45..that track is so so good. I like the Mojo comps, they are really good.

Yup, that one cooks! They did another Soul one with the Pops Staples' "Black Boy" that was also great. It came with the Sly Stone issue a few years back.

Oh, and F16, I was just listening to one of your Soul Food comps earlier!!

• yeah, do you have the "Raw Soul" one? that unissued Betty Bibbs "Pounds of Soul" track was worth the price of the magazine...I would love to have that tune on a 45..that track is so so good. I like the Mojo comps, they are really good.

Yup, that one cooks! They did another Soul one with the Pops Staples' "Black Boy" that was also great. It came with the Sly Stone issue a few years back.

Oh, and F16, I was just listening to one of your Soul Food comps earlier!! [/b]

Exxcelllennttt......I hope you're digging 'em!

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    listening to the further adventures of quas.

don't know about that 5 stars yet,
    there always seems the be a limited amount of madlib-listening I can handle.. and I'm closing in on the end.

Naw, they suck!

• Currently listening to that "Black Fairy" theatre Lp.
    Picked it up last weekend. I got all excited about it,
    remember it being touted on here awhile back.
    I'm mid-way through side 2, and all I can say is:

Why is this sought after? Purely b.c. its ??

Anyway, next up is some J. Mcgriff or something, I need some
    funk after the dissapointment.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Syl Johnson - Concrete Reservation

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dennis brown - stages in life

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Gene Harris- the 3 sounds (on blue note)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

almost ordered this a few days ago...killer? its recorded at the Daptone studios, right? have the old sound?

• yeah, do you have the "Raw Soul" one? that unissued Betty Bibbs "Pounds of Soul" track was worth the price of the magazine...I would love to have that tune on a 45..that track is so so good. I like the Mojo comps, they are really good.

Naw, they suck!

D'OH!

• I lurb heem. He make scratchnoise with rapfingers.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

Great song. My kid sings this whenever it comes on. 6 years old and he memorized the entire 1st half of the song.

• Syl Johnson - Concrete Reservation

Great song. My kid sings this whenever it comes on. 6 years old and he memorized the entire 1st half of the song.

Hip kid!

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Joe Bataan - Call My Name

almost ordered this a few days ago...killer?

FUCK YES

its recorded at the Daptone studios, right?

FUCK YES

have the old sound?

FUCK YES

This is what I originally wrote to DigDug and them about it:

There's Gilles Peterson-style "acid jazz" style slickness, Daptone-style raw funk, latin soul, War-type latin psychedelic rock... definitely a good diverse effort. Stylistically there's something for everyone. Overall it sounds like a major label funk record from around 1973-74, with all the good and bad aspects that tag implies.

Joe Bataan's voice is uneven as always, but he's got character as always.

Recorded by Gabe Roth, with a fuller sound than he's known for - the sonics are definitely more in the Antibalas side of things rather than Daptone. I'm not sure if all the players are Daptoners but several are. So it's not a perfect record by any means, but it's a good home listener with several club cuts, too.

It's only $15 from DG - get it!

Then I emailed them the next day after listening through it a bit more:

YOU NEED THIS RECORD!

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

• FYIFYI 15 Posts
    Beck: Guero

Prefuse 73: Surrounded By Silence

Edan: Beauty And The Beat

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    RinLew Allstars[/b] On AVI bought this as a joke but its growing on me. some pretty solid soul for 1979

and before that I was listening to

Damion & Denita[/b] "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight" - Damion is a straight up smooth talking hustler...he finishes off his verses with the words "I just want to sleep with you tonight"

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

BOOYAH! This album has been in such heavy rotation recently.

How ridiculous is that cover?! Everytime I examine it, new things appear.

By the way, I think edpowers needs one of these, so if one of ya'll could help him out - that'd be good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Heavy lyrics - s/he have questions?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Alton Ellis - "What Does It Take To Win Your Love"

Googie and Tom Coppola - "Missing Love"

Fear Of A Black Planet

Maker - "Good Times"

David Sancious and Tone - the shit with the blue-sky cover

Aaliyah - "Try Again"

Frankie Newsome - "Don't Mess With My Lovemaker (Part II)"

Larry Dixon's 2 LPs, whatever they're called. Anybody that has a lead on dude's (only?) 45, please get at me.

Blackgirls - Procedure

Prince - "The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker"

Clipse - We Got It For Cheap

Bonus:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

cue shotgun blast
    cue korg synth noodles
    cue explosion sound

"Get Familiar!"

"Get Familiar!"

"Get Familiar!"

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Anyone else kinda collect those MOJO giveaway CDs? I have been hooked on em for a minute now. You won't find better comps generally for the price(free).

I've been recently digging one of their comps where they let the Chili Peppers pick some of their favorite tunes. A nice mix of stuff, from James and Sly, to the Wipers and Adolescents, to Zappa and Funkadelic.