New York Aug 30 - Sep 4

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
:beerbang:

Records, sneakers, art, food.

I am staying in Brownsville so my nighttime activities might be severely limited?
Not sure if this is a ridiculous question: Will cabs take me home late at night? I read some article about the creeping gentrification into the area, but a cab driver also got stabbed in the eye there this summer, so you know...

Having said that - anyone playing??

Get at me to meet for food/drinks!

Comments

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    yes cabs will go there
    but damm
    what a fucked "peace "of real estate
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/mailmen_deliver_us_from_evil_9TJh9RgtiTv1FGwOw05MOI

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Thanks, kala.

And I hope the USPS is picking up their bills' late fees.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    if you came a few days earlier you would catch some real park jams but you are gonna miss em all
    nowhere for a nice girl like you to hang after dark in Brownsville except the armory

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    moma ps1

AUGUST 31
    Cajmere / Cajual / Chicago, IL
    Liars (Live) / Mute / Los Angeles, CA
    Lil Silva / Good Years, Young Turks / Bedford, UK
    IO ECHO (Live) / IAMSOUND / Los Angeles, CA
    Jon Hopkins / Domino / London, UK

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    it's been 15+ years since i was working in b-ville (92-96)
    so my info is out of date
    never had any troubles there but i am big & ugly and was hanging with locals

i do spend some time in bushwick these days and it has changed
    will check with junior and see what art is happening that week

have fun !!

Work schedule and all...

lmho- You're too kind.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    bassie said:

Not sure if this is a ridiculous question: Will cabs take me home late at night? I read some article about the creeping gentrification into the area, but a cab driver also got stabbed in the eye there this summer, so you know...

Cabs (especially those coming from Manhattan) definitely put up less a fight nowadays regarding taking people to neighborhoods in Brooklyn, but I cannot speak for Brownsville - I would suspect that a Manhattan cabbie is going to be less than thrilled to go that far out. It's pretty far out when compared a lot of other neighborhoods.

As for gentrification out there - def happening in Bedstuy & Crown Heights, but not sure if its made its way to Brownsville yet. For what its worth, last time I took LIRR back into Brooklyn, a gang of (white) girls got off at the East NY stop.

That said, if you are going to be spending your evenings in the borough or Brooklyn anyway, you should be able to get a local livery service without too much hassle and for a normal price.

hope you have a good time out here!!!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    bassie said:
    Work schedule and all...

lmho- You're too kind.

Hey Bassie,

Please count me in for a Soul Strut hook-up. You have my cell, so let a brother know. It will be great to finally meet the lotus of Soul Strut.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

P.S. I was bumpin' and loving your mix last week (the one with "Love and Happiness" on it).

coffinjoe said:

have fun !!

Even though I'll be with locals, being small and ugly just doesn't have the same impact.

Yes, please! Any art suggestions, please send along. Not trying to spend too much time indoors, but other than rap shows, NY art exhibits are about the only thing left that doesn't make it up here/available in Toronto.
    I missed LaToya Frazier at Brooklyn Museum, so I'm bummed about that, but MoMA has both Elsworth Kelley and Akram Zaatari shows while I'm there! I usually do the Chelsea circuit no matter what.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• bassie said:
    coffinjoe said:

have fun !!

Even though I'll be with locals, being small and ugly just doesn't have the same impact.

Yes, please! Any art suggestions, please send along. Not trying to spend too much time indoors, but other than rap shows, NY art exhibits are about the only thing left that doesn't make it up here/available in Toronto.
    I missed LaToya Frazier at Brooklyn Museum, so I'm bummed about that, but MoMA has both Elsworth Kelley and Akram Zaatari shows while I'm there! I usually do the Chelsea circuit no matter what.

Tough time of year for art, as most galleries are wrapping up the summer shows, and prepping for the fall rollout.

James Turrell will still be at the Guggenheim; Llyn Folkes at the New Museum wraps on 9/1.

batmon said:

transmission received - you'll be in town then?

gareth said:

James Turrell will still be at the Guggenheim

ooohhh weee! great!

bassie said:
    batmon said:

transmission received - you'll be in town then?

Yup

• check out mobile mondays! great music and vibe

tripledouble said:
    check out mobile mondays! great music and vibe

amazing line-ups - can't wait to see who is playing Labour Day.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    If you're in Greenpoint, you can swing by and watch me lay floor tile in my new store front, you can't see that any old day.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    bassie said:
    tripledouble said:
    check out mobile mondays! great music and vibe

amazing line-ups - can't wait to see who is playing Labour Day.
    merica

You kid, but I need to tile my basement lol
    Are you willing to do a tutorial voice-over?

New store, you say?

Horseleech said:
    If you're in Greenpoint, you can swing by and watch me lay floor tile in my new store front, you can't see that any old day.

I drink in Greenpoint quite regularly. Are you annexing or relocating?

I'm moving my Brooklyn store from Williamsburg to Greenpoint. Technically, I get possession of the new space 9/1 but I'm hoping to get in a bit earlier than that.

Crooked floor tiling tutorials free during this time.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    * shudders to think of all the work involved in moving all those records and the cat

Horseleech said:
    I'm moving my Brooklyn store from Williamsburg to Greenpoint. Technically, I get possession of the new space 9/1 but I'm hoping to get in a bit earlier than that..

Is there a backstory to why your leaving?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why have I not been to the billysburg store when I live like three blocks away

batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    I'm moving my Brooklyn store from Williamsburg to Greenpoint. Technically, I get possession of the new space 9/1 but I'm hoping to get in a bit earlier than that..

Is there a backstory to why your leaving?

The usual - my building got sold (for a preposterous amount of money), and the new owner is going to tear it down and get that J Crew paper.

And yes, much shuddering going on over here at the prospect of moving all this shit. You can't imagine what the basement looks like.

PatrickCrazy said:
    billysburg

:pasue:

bassie said:
    NY art exhibits are about the only thing left that doesn't make it up here/available in Toronto.

AHHHHGGGG.
    Three AMAZING shows start after I leave: a Balthus girls and cats exhibit, a Janet Cardiff show and a 50 year retrospective of the Met's Islamic art collection.

• bassie said:
    bassie said:
    NY art exhibits are about the only thing left that doesn't make it up here/available in Toronto.

AHHHHGGGG.
    Three AMAZING shows start after I leave: a Balthus girls and cats exhibit, a Janet Cardiff show and a 50 year retrospective of the Met's Islamic art collection.

People are shitting about the Ken Price exhibit at the Met, so there's that- the Civil War photo show there got a lot of love at well, so it could be a good way to spend a day.

Thank You for that.

I think my day inside will be at the MoMA between the Zaatari, Kelly, new photography acquisitions and design exhibits. (not really a Price fan)

We loaned a Price to that show.