Amazing pics of an abandoned warehouse in France.

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
Here.

:face_melt:

From the file names, I'm guessing this was an EMI France distribution warehouse c. 1981 (I spotted a Simple Minds 12" and a Raydio 45 amongst the debris). I'm sure a lot of it was chud, but we'll never know - the building was destroyed two weeks after these pictures were taken, along with its contents.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Fusk.

The shelving units were deemed worth saving, so all the records were dumped on the floor so the shelving could be moved out.

:nagl:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    The digger in me thinks that many records must have contained some gold.

:whycry:

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I guess I'm jaded, but this looks like a pile of junk to me.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I've been to a similar place although on a much smaller scale in Nigeria and then a long, long time ago Finewine and I found this weird 1 story house out in the sticks someplace in Virginia that had been completely gutted and then filled with mostly 45s. I'm still thinking back to that one with regret because as we were digging it started to snow and we left after only a few hours. There was a 40' container next to the house that was completely flooded with Lps.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Where would you even start. And if you suffer from the same sickness I do, you wouldnt be ablt to leave until you turned over every singly record.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    My old boss (when i was a record person) kept his collection in a series of rooms in a warehouse, the last time i went down, the records in the main room had all somehow fallen out of the shelves onto the floor. Looked similar to this, and was a bit of a pain as you had to go through that room to get to the rest of the rooms.

He was all "just climb over them" and was not exactly forthcoming as to how it had even happened in the first place.

I'm a bit squeamish when t comes to standing on records for some reason.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    beezerholmes said:

• beezerholmes said:

Sure. You'd hate to get bedbugs in your shoes.

• Horseleech said:

I'm not sure what's left when this picture was taken but A LOT of cool stuff was found here!

• Thanks for this post and link. I saw that pic floating around a couple weeks ago. This scenario is a dream of mine. I think you start with good boots, a mask, gloves, windex, your portable turntable, case of beer, etc. and you dig. If there is a ever situation ever like this, and no one chasing with a shotgun, I am so down. I ain't to proud to work for it, my dollars are stretched thin as it is....

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:
    Horseleech said:

I'm not sure what's left when this picture was taken but A LOT of cool stuff was found here!

My guess is that all that dead stock of various Francophone W.African EMI releases that surfaced in the past 4 years or so originated from there. Rail Band, Ferry Djimmy etc. so considering what a small niche that is I'm sure there was tons of good stuff in there.

It would be great to get some details not only about the finds but also about the dynamics of the different (?) people who got to dig in there, how cooperative the owner was, how long people got to be in there, if shit was shelved at first etc.

No reason to be secretive now after the place has disappeared. Or has it?

• Frank said:
    dreskieboogie said:
    Horseleech said:

My guess is that all that dead stock of various Francophone W.African EMI releases that surfaced in the past 4 years or so originated from there. Rail Band, Ferry Djimmy etc. so considering what a small niche that is I'm sure there was tons of good stuff in there.

It would be great to get some details not only about the finds but also about the dynamics of the different (?) people who got to dig in there, how cooperative the owner was, how long people got to be in there, if shit was shelved at first etc.

No reason to be secretive now after the place has disappeared. Or has it?

First of all, I was asked not to share. Sorry. Second, I can't remember the specific titles since it was back in 2009 when I was told the story but trust me some amazing shit was found there. I got that first hand. I'm sure sooner or later more details will surface.

I believe a french rap video was also shot on the premises way after it was found though.

• beezerholmesbeezerholmes Edinburgh 59 Posts
    Yeah, some pics just popped up on my facebook newsfeed of people digging through it pre destruction.

Some serious heat found, but I wonder what got missed...

By the look of it, folks were allowed in there for the long haul, i have done a few 12/13 hour digging sessions before but i dunno if i could manage much more than that tbh.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    When these images were published a few weeks ago on the LesMainsNoires blog by Fr??d??ric Thiphagne I was surprised that no one (on the English blogs at least) pointed to the fact that it had previously been featured in the video of French rapper Roc?? who had a track called "Si peu comprennent". There are two videos. The later version is slightly longer:

• When these images were published a few weeks ago on the LesMainsNoires blog by Fr??d??ric Thiphagne I was surprised that no one (on the English blogs at least) pointed to the fact that it had previously been featured in the video of French rapper Roc?? who had a track called "Si peu comprennent". There are two videos. The later version is slightly longer:

dudes got serious rapp handzz!
    id love to hear a little bit more about the digging and demise of the spot. mostly how all the shit ended up in those monstrous piles, but i guess the answer to that would be that the shelves got pulled out to a higher purpose

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    I was surprised that no one (on the English blogs at least) pointed to the fact that it had previously been featured in the video of French rapper Roc??

You are surprised that English-language blogs aren't keeping up with the output of French rappers? Really?