Trayvon Martin

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Bassie is the shit. That is all. R*****, that is not meant as a dis toward you. Just sayin'. She is an admirable and much-needed element in this thing we call Soulstrut.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Bassie is the shit. That is all. R*****, that is not meant as a dis toward you. Just sayin'. She is an admirable and much-needed element in this thing we call Soulstrut.

I know she hates my guts sometimes but to me that feels like an honor. OK, now I'll go and arrange the cheese plate cause after all, that's one of the few things I really know something about...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Are you sure you guys shouldn't be in the drunk thread?

It's hard to respond with grace, so I will just say Thank You. I really like being here and it means a lot that people like me being here, warts and all.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Grope said:
    considering the gun fetish, i'm sorry to add my 2 cents as a euroman, but...

don't you ever compare to other parts of this world? i'm neither trying to be a smartass nor downplay your reasons (rather excuses). please don't get this wrong.

my neighbor shooting a snake in front of my daughter? really?
    the last thing that i would feel safe with living in a bad neighborhood was a gun in my pockets.

and considering all this and that, how terrible must it have been for trayvon being chased after by a guy with racial issues and a gun in his possession?! i'm pretty sure that, being a black teenager, trayvon knew what was going on and i guess anyone would have freaked out and panicked under that attack. he was confronted by things that should not be the norm in a safe environment.
    i'm wondering how GZ could think that a single teenager could be a harm to his neighborhood. it's a very very poor excuse. not any kind of reason. it's not even overreacting. it's about wrong choices. and he should be punished hard for that.

take away the racial issues: there would have been no situation.
    take away the gun: even with a situation nobody would have been killed.

This post is awesome.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Grope said:
    the last thing that i would feel safe with living in a bad neighborhood was a gun in my pockets.

The last thing I would feel comfortable around are some fools who need a shotgun to deal with a snake.

When I was 12 I used to catch Copperheads by hand for fun.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    gareth said:
    Grope said:
    considering the gun fetish, i'm sorry to add my 2 cents as a euroman, but...

don't you ever compare to other parts of this world? i'm neither trying to be a smartass nor downplay your reasons (rather excuses). please don't get this wrong.

and considering all this and that, how terrible must it have been for trayvon being chased after by a guy with racial issues and a gun in his possession?! i'm pretty sure that, being a black teenager, trayvon knew what was going on and i guess anyone would have freaked out and panicked under that attack. he was confronted by things that should not be the norm in a safe environment.
    i'm wondering how GZ could think that a single teenager could be a harm to his neighborhood. it's a very very poor excuse. not any kind of reason. it's not even overreacting. it's about wrong choices. and he should be punished hard for that.

take away the racial issues: there would have been no situation.
    take away the gun: even with a situation nobody would have been killed.

This post is awesome.

whats so awesome about it?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    As a Canadian, the biggest issue related to gun violence in the US that I see is the ease with which someone can obtain a firearm. It's been a long-standing issue that has endured despite Colombine, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Trayvon, the recent spike in violence in Chicago etc. Not the best examples, but you get what I'm saying.

And apologies in advance if this seems simplistic/naive/ignorant, but the "right to bear arms" should be revoked because the consequences of that right have resulted in so many tragedies over the decades. How many times in the last 100 years has the right to keep and bear arms prevented tyranny from the state?

And please understand, I'm not saying we've got it right in Canada--far from. It's just that I see a culture of violence mixed in with one of entitlement/disenfranchisement (depending on who you are), add that to the ease in obtaining a gun, and the combination is lethal.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:

5. Yes, saying we should just eliminate the 2nd Amendment is simplistic/naive/ignorant. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, it just means that it's like suggesting we outlaw liquor.

6. If a serious attempt is made to outlaw private ownership of guns in the US the rivers will run red with blood.

Without an aspiration and a plan to achieve it, how does anything ever get done?

And since when did the can-do nation become a can't-do one?

Come on dudes, this stuff is much more important than a shrug of the shoulders and a resigned "it is what it is".

So let's assume a few givens:

The political impasse currently in place makes regulatory, law or constitutional change an impossibility.
    There's a big rump of ignoramii who will never understand that more guns = problem never going away.
    And that the ludicrous idea of a down-home n humble Renaissance Man who does doting daddy on the school run, wrassles with bears and snakes in the afternoon, parlays with main regulating mens in the evening, then parties hard in inner-city skreets with tha rap kidz is some next-level self-delusional wet dream.

So what can be the game changer?
    Stigmatising the idea of gun ownership? Making it the subject of derision?
    Does the wider 'media' have a role to play in this? Life imitates art, after all. Film, TV, music, comedy. Make it deeply uncool?
    Having a two-speed country? Areas with guns, areas without, checkpoints, those with strong opinion either way will migrate, as they have in the past for economic and life-style reasons.
    Is it possible to drive the gun lobby into the ground by exposing every flaw, gaffe, misdeed, embarrassment and turn them into something with which no-one wants to be associated? Even the knuckle-draggers?

Let!s brainstorm this and put the world to rights.
    Come on soulstrut, we can do this.

::wink::

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    America getting rid of guns would be like Britain getting rid of the royal family. It's not going to happen, because the people who want to do it lack the political will and have no interest in committing political suicide in any event. Guns are far too deeply ingrained within America's sense of itself for the American people to accept an America without guns. And as long as there are Americans who consider not owning a gun to be strange behaviour, if not deeply suspect and possibly even un-American, then the problems created by widespread gun ownership are going to carry on being something America has to live with.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    There have been plenty of new restrictions and regulations already put in place in the aftermath of mass shootings.

Just re-watched Sniper '66 that covers the first mass shooting by Charles Whitman at the University of Texas...and it highlights how civilians with deer rifles were the very ones to pin down Whitman on the tower and kept him from shooting many others past his initial barrage.

In this country, that's just how we roll. We would rather just handle crisis ourselves opposed to leaving it to dumbshit police officers and soldiers. And we sure can't trust our tyrannical government to regulate guns any more than they already do. They are gun runners themselves prone to corruption far worse than any lone nut going off on school grounds.

And fuck yes, our guns are indeed preemptively holding our shitbird government off from imposing further tyranny upon us. That's why they are so hell-bent on taking the guns to begin with (do you really think that the US government cares about the safety of the general public?), to the point that at least some of these mass shooting/bombing/terrorist events are staged by their own Manchurian Candidates. Point blank.

And no, we don't want to be Canada or Holland. Sorry.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I just find it incredibly bizarre that Soulstrut has consistently over the years said that they don't trust the police or military but somehow thinks it's a good idea for these same not to be trusted organizations to be the only ones with firearms.

b/w

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Switzerland

Thymebomb13 said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    And fuck yes, our guns are indeed preemptively holding our shitbird government off from imposing further tyranny upon us. That's why they are so hell-bent on taking the guns to begin with (do you really think that the US government cares about the safety of the general public?), to the point that at least some of these mass shooting/bombing/terrorist events are staged by their own Manchurian Candidates. Point blank.

This right here is the perfect illustration of the sick, stupid, useless cancer that resides in the American body politic and can't be eradicated without killing the host.

Or at least sawing off the Bible Belt and letting it sink into the ocean.

Your whole schtick is looking down on others for not being as evolved as you.

But look at your pathetic self already. Who would in a trillion years ever want to be like you?

You are more the "knuckledragger" than anyone. FACT.

I want Zimmerman in prison.

But yes, obviously your incessant lumping of so many different ranges of people into stereotypical groups is a sign of your "high IQ".

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I think it was from a conversation just like this a few years ago that I got my Loc

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Is there no end to this white hispanic man's evil?

George Zimmerman Emerged From Hiding for Truck Crash Rescue
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-truck-crash-rescue/story?id=19735432

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

This right here is the perfect illustration of the sick, stupid, useless cancer that resides in the American body politic and can't be eradicated without killing the host.

Or at least sawing off the Bible Belt and letting it sink into the ocean.

Cyprus. Amazing what you can accomplish with an unarmed populace. Do you think the government would suggest confiscating bank accounts if 45% of the poplation owned guns.

sabadabada said:
    Is there no end to this white hispanic man's evil?

George Zimmerman Emerged From Hiding for Truck Crash Rescue
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-truck-crash-rescue/story?id=19735432

Tasteless and tacky. Zimmerman is alive and has the opportunity to show the world what a great guy he is after all and a 17 year old will never get to grow up and live out a single damn thing, good or bad.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Good use of your 666th post!

Why is America so scared of its government?
    And of random foreign bogeymen?
    And of other Americans?

Fascinating shit, actually.
    But also sad, and somewhat pathetic.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    there's too many posts here to read.

Any highlights?

Who's winning?

thanks in advance

Guzzo said:

Who's winning?

news outlets

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    skel said:
    And of random foreign bogeymen?
    And of other Americans?

Fascinating shit, actually.
    But also sad, and somewhat pathetic.

TV news is one reason why.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    there's too many posts here to read.

Any highlights?

Who's winning?

thanks in advance

Thread started months ago.

More recently everyone is sickened by the verdict except Saba.

Harvey needs guns in case he sees a bear or a rattlesnake.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    bassie said:
    Guzzo said:

Who's winning?

news outlets

zing!

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    sabadabada said:

Cyprus. Amazing what you can accomplish with an unarmed populace. Do you think the government would suggest confiscating bank accounts if 45% of the poplation owned guns.

You can buy guns in Cyprus.

skel said:

Again, it's not scared. It's just being aware of hundreds of years of US government-sanctioned violence both here and abroad and knowing that restricting yourself from personally being armed isn't necessarily the best way to go about dealing with it.

I mean, those who don't feel the need to arm themselves, no pressure for you to do so from me.

But just because you've decided that for yourself doesn't give you the right to decide the same for anyone else, at least not in my book.

LaserWolf said:

Harvey needs guns in case he sees a bear or a rattlesnake.

An AR-15, to be precise.

Thymebomb13 said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    sabadabada said:

You can buy guns in Cyprus.

Shitloads of them, in fact. But saba gets his facts from WorldNutDaily and Glenn Beck.

"In a comparison of the rate of private gun ownership in 178 countries, Cyprus ranked at No. 6"

http://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/region/cyprus

Haha! Whoops!