What Records Are at the Deck's Right Now?

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    james said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    james said:
    Jeannette - "Porque Te Vas"

That's my jam!
    Yeah, the little-girl vocals can be a little hard to take, but those last sixty seconds, oh lord. The recording is just wet.

A few years ago, soulstrut's own rape_donkeys put "Porque Te Vas" on something, which is where I first heard it. My copy is some homely German golden-oldies twofer, though, whereas I have a vague memory of his being considerably more dread--it was like some extra-French soundtrack picture-cover EP with a raven on it or some shit.

it was in the spanish movie Cria Cuervos, one of the most gut wrenchingly depressing films you'll ever see. In the middle of this insanely bleak movie there's this scene where the girls (the main characters in the film) put it on and have a little party:

this was how I learned about this song, and I love it. Took me a few years to find the 7", only because I didn't want to buy it on ebay since it's a pretty common record in Europe. Not sure if it became a hit because of this movie or if it was well known before then. I'll always associate this funky little song to the deepest kind of existential dread because of that movie tho.

Cot-damn. If such a creeping, fatalistic song represents the fun part of that movie, I can only imagine how grim the rest of it must be.

The b-side of my copy is a cover of "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma." It's cute, but suffers from heavy ESL vibes. I'm can only assume that this song is not featured in said film.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    james said:
    Cot-damn. If such a creeping, fatalistic song represents the fun part of that movie, I can only imagine how grim the rest of it must be.

The b-side of my copy is a cover of "Look What They've Done To My Song, Ma." It's cute, but suffers from heavy ESL vibes. I'm can only assume that this song is not featured in said film.

I have a brazilian pressing of it where the b-side is "Soy Rebelde" also by her. It's a slower jam with a similarly fatalistic vibe, I think it was the b-side of the movie soundtrack release as well. From what I remember "Por Que Te Vas" is the only piece of music in the entire film, which makes it even more jarring when it comes on.

Don't get me wrong though, the movie itself is amazing. Pan's Labyrinth has lots of references to this film as well as The Spirit of the Beehive, another 70s film that involves little girls and deals with Franco-era Spain.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So, in addition to looking through teenage-era journals, photographs, concert ticket stubs and letters from a long-distance relationship, the flood had me coming across all kinds of records I forgot I had or thought I lost.

I was very happy to unearth my TW Funkmasters Love Money 12", Clash Magnificent Seven 12" and Air (Hebrie Mann production) LP.

I also pulled this, realizing I had not really given it any time since I got it from a friend. It has only came off the turntable in the past week when I took it to play at the radio show. It is SO GOOD.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Twas enjoying Stevie's Fullingness' First Finale last night.

Creepin' is my jam.

:feelin_it:

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    Twas enjoying Stevie's Fullingness' First Finale last night.

Creepin' is my jam.

:feelin_it:

:necessary: :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Revisiting a few I haven't played in a while.
    Attached files

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    MC Lyte - Lyte as a rock & Afrika Bambaataa - Planet Rock (the album)

getting me through Friday evening...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    After Bobby Bland died, I dug out all of my LPs so I could pay tribute on my radio show. Since then they have stayed on heavy rotation at the home base, especially "Two Steps from the Blues" which is just an incredible album.

Also been playing Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted" (yet again) and for some reason last weekend I played Def Leppard "Pyromania" 3 different times, haha. New release in heavy rotation: Orchid "The Mouths of Madness"

SoulOnIce said:

been playing Pavement "Slanted & Enchanted"

Yea, me, too. It ended up on top of a pile and I thought, why not? It's summer after all.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Right now, this is on the turntable in the changing room. The lady's choice for playing while spending time with the newborn. I'm not really a Neil Young fan, but I've grown to appreciate his work as much as I can. He is a very talented songwriter, but I just don't relish the flavor, as it were.

This is on the living room turntable, but we don't end up using it much at the moment. It is right next to the TV, and Tess prefers TV for background noise and the occasional movie while home on maternity.

We're getting to the point where teh bookses and such say playing music for the lad is a good thing, so I'm looking forward to actually digging back in to the collectron in the coming months.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts

Odell Brown & The Organizers ???Think About It / The Weight??? (Cadet)

Listen:

Brothers of Love ???Check My Love / You Changed Me??? (Blue Rock)

Listen to ???Check My Love???:

Listen to ???You Changed Me???:

I thought this thread was about posting live pics....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    mattB said:
    I thought this thread was about posting live pics....

Post some then, MattB!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I have been

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I really love that Curtis Knight record. I never really hear anybody talk about it but I think it's great.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    ojeda penn - happiness

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Really nice aussie modern jazz

Hey 'Strutters,

Here are the records at the decks at the moment:

-"S/T"-UPP
    -"Razor's Edge"-The John Payne Band
    -"S/T"-Funk, Inc.
    -The white label joint is an OG import version of "S/T" by The Meters.

These are the 45s on top of the piles in the previous photo:

This shot shows how badly I need to file the stacks of records around the decks:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

At the deck:
    Phill Most Chill- All Cuts Recorded Raw
    Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
    Sylvia Striplin - Give Me Your Love/ You Can't Turn Me Away 12"
    Logan's Run OST
    Tyrone Davis - Turn Back The Hands Of Time and a bunch of other stuff
    Attached files

stratasphere said:

Hey Stratasphere,

That Natural Four LP you posted earlier in the thread is my joint. It's some Leroy Hutson produced loveliness, indeed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Big_Stacks said:
    stratasphere said:

Hey Stratasphere,

That Natural Four LP is my joint. It's some Leroy Hutson produced loveliness, indeed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Been playing that S/T Voices Of East Harlem a lot lately too.

Currently on the turntable.....
    Attached files

• rain103rain103 476 Posts

Hawkins had heat!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    rain103 said:

I couldn't remember what this sounded like. Looked it up on YouTube and after about a frame or two I realized that I'd watched that video so many times. They used to play that all the time on Rap City.

Yeah I stumbled across a Rottin Razkals' cassette at a thrift shop a couple months back and picked up the 12" on ebay recently...

After seeing the Kobe raps thread I had to throw this on.

• These have been up. Found them recently. Something about late 80's, early 90's Bay Area stuff I can't resist (most rap full lengths from that time get picked up).