Trayvon Martin

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all like being soft batch, so be that. Just quit trying to force it upon others.

Wolves and grizzly bears, which have been reintroduced by federal mandate against the will of locals here in Idaho, have been running rampant both killing livestock and attacking outdoorsmen fairly regularly as of late. And if a pack of wolves attacks, you want a semi-auto instead of a single shot.

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2011/12/20/have-there-really-been-no-wolf-related-deaths-of-humans-in-the-rocky-mountain-states/

Wolves had long been eradicated from around these parts. They've only recently been reintroduced.

So yes, Washington DC and Soul Strut shut-in's, please do tell actual mountain men the real deal about where they actually live. Surely, the internet knows all.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Horseleech said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all like being soft batch, so be that. Just quit trying to force it upon others.

Wolves and grizzly bears, which have been reintroduced by federal mandate against the will of locals here in Idaho, have been running rampant both killing livestock and attacking outdoorsmen fairly regularly as of late. And if a pack of wolves attacks, you want a semi-auto instead of a single shot.

http://www.thewildlifenews.com/2011/12/20/have-there-really-been-no-wolf-related-deaths-of-humans-in-the-rocky-mountain-states/

Wolves had long been eradicated from around these parts. They've only recently been reintroduced.

So yes, Washington DC and Soul Strut shut-in's, please do tell actual mountain men the real deal about where they actually live. Surely, the internet knows all.

There's Coyotes in my yard all the time. I just chase them out with my bad self. It never even occurred to me to have a gun.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

It was a cooler of ice only. But yeah, trap a bear, move it 17 miles to peacefully let it free with the help of only one other dude, then talk.

This begs the question, does someone capable of doing this really need a gun to protect himself? I don't even know how a non trained professional traps and relocates a bear. Not a raccoon. A bear. What did he trap it with and how did he relocate it?

Controller_7 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It was a cooler of ice only. But yeah, trap a bear, move it 17 miles to peacefully let it free with the help of only one other dude, then talk.

This begs the question, does someone capable of doing this really need a gun to protect himself? I don't even know how a non trained professional traps and relocates a bear. Not a raccoon. A bear. What did he trap it with and how did he relocate it?

When needed, he does search and rescue work, helping pull people from over the edge out in the wilderness.

The trap is some sort of cage. They baited it with food and the bear kept out of it. Then my mom suggested putting a cooler in there, and sure enough that night the bear was captured. 2 regular dudes then loaded it into the back of a pick-up truck.

I don't know if y'all ever visit the sticks for real. But guns are merely part of the package. It's just like that, and these are the people who are actually dealing with the outback, so I trust their experiences over your conjecture.

Goodnite, Strut.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Frank said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    cove said:
    That's freeeeeedom, man!

Right, it is. For if anyone including cops and military can wield guns, I don't want anyone prohibiting me from doing the same. Call it the freedom to live on an even playing field, if you will. Plus, as I've experienced first hand this week camping up in Idaho, we still have an actual frontier to live in, with real live grizzly bears and packs of wolves and such. My dad brought an AR-15 and a couple of handguns along for our protection and guess what...nobody got "assaulted".

I'm having a hard time seeing any logic or sense in this, from leveling the playing field with police and military to taking an assault rifle on a camping trip for use as a bear deterrent or to fight packs of wolfs...

When was the last time wolfs attacked a group of campers?

Wouldn't a few cans of bear pepper-spray be just as effective and less hazardous to your fellow campers then spraying the grounds with an assault rifle?

Not even going to get into the "gotta have guns to be able to step up to military and police, you weren't serious with that part, no?

Not that I'm against guns per se, we recently had to arm ourselves due to an increase of violent home invasions and totally ineffective local police, I only hope I'll never have to use any of this shit.

its okay Frank. Harvey consulted with the forest elders before hand ;)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Statistics show a white dude that owns a gun is 5 times more likely to shoot themselves or someone in their household than anyone else.

"dork"= someone who doesn't own a gun?

Yeah, all the gun owners out there have a collective hold on social acceptance and social responsibility.

Pity I'm not "equipped"....if only I had a gun when I had one pulled on me...I could have been in a shoot-out instead of losing $31. That would have been cool.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    soft batch
    HarveyCanal said:
    dorks

You have some nerve coming on here trying to say guns are hard and cool when you have been/are involved with youth community work.

What's dorky is equating being tough with guns. Wrestle that bitch ass bear or put a wolf in a headlock then throw around soft batch.
    You're a grown man perpetuating a myth that is killing young men by the hundreds.

HarveyCanal said:
    Call it the freedom to live on an even playing field, if you will. .

White privilege. For everyone else who is nowhere near a level playing field when it comes to the police, it gives the cops a reason to imprison and an excuse to shoot first.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thank you, bassie

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    Harvey consulted with the forest elders

Well-played.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    LokoOne said:
    Harvey consulted with the forest elders

Well-played.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Hmm...

Problem: It is dangerous because lots of people have guns.

Solution: More guns.

yeah, ok.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:

I don't own any guns, never mind have a concealed carry permit, but that was fascinating.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Good thing Batman was willing to take the time to go through that.

Best moment:

bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    soft batch
    HarveyCanal said:
    dorks

You have some nerve coming on here trying to say guns are hard and cool when you have been/are involved with youth community work.

What's dorky is equating being tough with guns. Wrestle that bitch ass bear or put a wolf in a headlock then throw around soft batch.
    You're a grown man perpetuating a myth that is killing young men by the hundreds.

HarveyCanal said:
    Call it the freedom to live on an even playing field, if you will. .

White privilege. For everyone else who is nowhere near a level playing field when it comes to the police, it gives the cops a reason to imprison and an excuse to shoot first.

Dramatic much?

All I can really say is I don't know what world y'all are living in, because mine is like guns everywhere, always has been...and yeah, I had 2 different neighborhood friends growing up in New Orleans who accidently killed themselves by mishandling guns. Both instances were horrendous, but neither came anywhere close to deterring anyone but possibly the mothers of the victims to stop wanting to keep guns in their house. There was once a 6 foot rattlesnake in my backyard that almost got to eat my 2 year old sister. Dad didn't have anything but a rake on hand that day, but forever bless the neighbor down the street who brought his shotgun over and blew that thing in 2. He even served that shit to his family that night. I mean, being downtown and going to clubs and restaurants and museums and such is the bee's knees. But is that really all y'all do?

I mean, I get how there are too many guns in the hood all too well. But what are you gonna do? Making shit illegal just promotes further corruption from the shitballs who would attempt to enforce the escalated gun control. In other words, in a Trayvon Martin thread no less...it's like y'all want to create even more Asshole Zimmerman's, by granting "authorities" license to shake down a selective group of people (be real already) for "possibly" having guns on them. Sorry, wrong "solution"...non-Americans, dorks, soft batches and all.

HarveyCanal said:

Dramatic much?

Nope. I'm not the one re-enacting Indiana Jones meets Anaconda over here.

Oh, wait, I get it. You're passionate about something so you're a tough guy and I'm passionate about something so I'm dramatic?

GTFOOHWTBS.

bassie said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Dramatic much?

Nope. I'm not the one re-enacting Indiana Jones meets Anaconda over here.

Oh, wait, I get it. You're passionate about something so you're a tough guy and I'm passionate about something so I'm dramatic?

GTFOOHWTBS.

Nobody is reenacting anything. It's life. Quit trying to manage it from afar.

• It's been a long time since I've posted on here about anything political, social, or anything to do about race but my girlfriend and I are really hurt by not only the verdict but also by the reactions by some in this country. Growing up in Boston, I remember the Charles Stuart case and other less popular events that are so similar to the martin case. I also remember Yusef Hawkins and I remember my own brush with a similar situation in 1989. I used to wear a t shirt back then that read "no white woman I don't want your purse" because I was sooo tired of that look from white folks. Needless to say, it sparked a lot of conversations.

I say all of this because I AM really really tired of how this nation refuses to truly address the issue of race and its legacy. Now some may say that this case has nothing to do with race but they are just fooling themselves. Try living in the skin of a black man/woman in this country. Living in Bed Stuy where hipsters have been invading at a steady rate, my girlfriend still worries about me walking even to the bodega. Now some of that is because there is real concern on the rampant violence in our neighborhood but she gets even more worried about the cops who walk around our neighborhood as we are under marshall law. Am I being dramatic? Hell no! These are real concerns for black people in this country.

This case has hit home with so many crushing issues that black people deal with in this country: horrific social and economic inequalities, extremely high unemployment (esp. amongst black men), lack of proper educational opportunities, the list goes on. I am sadden by the verdict and the reaction by some. A young man's life cut short and his family will not be able to have proper peace and yes, justice. In my opinion, George Zimmerman should be in jail period! I love this country very much but many many times I don't feel that love back. It is high time we start dealing with these hard truths in this country centered around race; hell, the world needs to tackle this issue.

amir

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    LaserWolf said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Not to get into a thing, but wolf, cougar and bear attacks on humans and livestock in Idaho are rare, not fairly regular.

Anyone camping in Idaho needs to know what to do in case of encounters with bears, cougars or wolves.
    There have been exactly zero fatal wolf attacks on humans in the lower 48 in recent history.
    The best protection from wolves is to keep away from garbage dumps.
    Some useful web sites:
    http://www.idahotrailsassociation.org/hiking/hiking-in-bear-country/
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/ipnf/maps-pubs/?cid=fsm9_019033
    Unless you are hunting bears, following these tips are better than carrying a gun in terms of safety.
    Cougars: http://westernwildlife.org/cougar-outreach-project/cougar-safety/

Harvey I am sure you and your dad will do what you do.
    But these are the accepted ways that keep hikers and campers safe with out endangering themselves and others with guns.

Oh sorry, attacks have only injured people and not killed them. We should just go ahead and rub steaks on like deodorant and love the wolves to death when they bite.

And nobody is endangered by simply carrying guns, which is by far the norm up here.

Soul Strut needs to get offline for some real out-of-city life experience already. Sheesh.

Not to get into a thing, but...
    I started my reply by saying
    Not to get into a thing, but

My reply was an attempt to educate you about wilderness wildlife. A subject which you clearly don't understand.
    I tried to be respectful.
    I am sure you and your dad have a great time camping.
    I get that you both are very macho with your guns.
    You are correct. I am soft and don't carry a gun.
    But I see no need to respond to my post with the nastiness you did.

Since you seem concerned about my sheltered gunless life, let me tell you a little.
    I spent much of my childhood in Rappahannock county VA.
    Rattlesnake and copperheads sitings were a daily occurrence.
    I sought them out.
    If we found them sunning by our cabin my dad would kill them. With a shovel.
    I had my first close encounter with a bear when I was about 8.
    It was going to the picnic area trash can I had just left.
    I have seem numerous bears, all in camping/picnic areas with trash cans.
    When I was young I did lots of back country hiking in VA, Vermont and New Mexico, but the only bears I ever saw were at trash cans.
    These days I do my part for the environment by keeping out of it.
    But living her in the PNW for decades I know many people who live, hike, kayak, snowshoe, cross country ski in Idaho, WY, MT, OR, WA and AK.
    Some of them own guns, but none carry guns when they go into the wilderness.
    Not because they are soft, like me.
    But because people who know and understand the wilderness, and wild animals know how to act and what to do to avoid/survive an attack.

How to act and what to do to avoid/survive an attack.
    That is what I was hoping you could learn from my first post.
    My bad.

People who go to camp grounds with coolers, cages, guns and unsecured food and garbage do not have a right to stand their ground.
    I understand you are afraid of wild animal attacks.
    That does not give you the right to shoot a wild animal when you feel threatened.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    davidwingate said:
    It's been a long time since I've posted on here about anything political, social, or anything to do about race but my girlfriend and I are really hurt by not only the verdict but also by the reactions by some in this country. Growing up in Boston, I remember the Charles Stuart case and other less popular events that are so similar to the martin case. I also remember Yusef Hawkins and I remember my own brush with a similar situation in 1989. I used to wear a t shirt back then that read "no white woman I don't want your purse" because I was sooo tired of that look from white folks. Needless to say, it sparked a lot of conversations.

I say all of this because I AM really really tired of how this nation refuses to truly address the issue of race and its legacy. Now some may say that this case has nothing to do with race but they are just fooling themselves. Try living in the skin of a black man/woman in this country. Living in Bed Stuy where hipsters have been invading at a steady rate, my girlfriend still worries about me walking even to the bodega. Now some of that is because there is real concern on the rampant violence in our neighborhood but she gets even more worried about the cops who walk around our neighborhood as we are under marshall law. Am I being dramatic? Hell no! These are real concerns for black people in this country.

This case has hit home with so many crushing issues that black people deal with in this country: horrific social and economic inequalities, extremely high unemployment (esp. amongst black men), lack of proper educational opportunities, the list goes on. I am sadden by the verdict and the reaction by some. A young man's life cut short and his family will not be able to have proper peace and yes, justice. In my opinion, George Zimmerman should be in jail period! I love this country very much but many many times I don't feel that love back. It is high time we start dealing with these hard truths in this country centered around race; hell, the world needs to tackle this issue.

amir

Thank you.

Nobody is scared. Just prepared.

And it's not just wildlife. It's wannabe cops as well...like y'all.

Wannabe cops wannabe tough guys, same result.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Nobody is scared. Just prepared.

And it's not just wildlife. It's wannabe cops as well...like y'all.

Yeah! The "ya'll". The "ya'll" that doesn't have guns. That "ya'll" are such "wannabe cops". You need to prepare yourself for them, Harv!

bassie said:

Who's being a tough guy? I haven't fired a gun since about 1994. I've gotten in 3 fights in 25 years, each in defense of women being stalked, attacked, and brutalized by other dudes. Just because Y'ALL have no clue doesn't mean shit.

HarveyCanal said:

Quit trying to manage it from afar.

Oh gosh, y'all are hardly managing that shit from close, I would not even try.

HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

Who's being a tough guy? I haven't fired a gun since about 1994. I've gotten in 3 fights in 25 years, each in defense of women being stalked, attacked, and brutalized by other dudes. Just because Y'ALL have no clue doesn't mean shit.

You're the one throwing around soft and dork, right?

And just because I don't put my shit out on the street, don't presume to know whether or not I have a clue.

Have a lovely weekend - stay safe.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    considering the gun fetish, i'm sorry to add my 2 cents as a euroman, but...

don't you ever compare to other parts of this world? i'm neither trying to be a smartass nor downplay your reasons (rather excuses). please don't get this wrong.

my neighbor shooting a snake in front of my daughter? really?
    the last thing that i would feel safe with living in a bad neighborhood was a gun in my pockets.

and considering all this and that, how terrible must it have been for trayvon being chased after by a guy with racial issues and a gun in his possession?! i'm pretty sure that, being a black teenager, trayvon knew what was going on and i guess anyone would have freaked out and panicked under that attack. he was confronted by things that should not be the norm in a safe environment.
    i'm wondering how GZ could think that a single teenager could be a harm to his neighborhood. it's a very very poor excuse. not any kind of reason. it's not even overreacting. it's about wrong choices. and he should be punished hard for that.

take away the racial issues: there would have been no situation.
    take away the gun: even with a situation nobody would have been killed.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Grope said:

take away the racial issues: there would have been no situation.
    take away the gun: even with a situation nobody would have been killed.

You're wasting your time with logic.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    davidwingate said:
    It's been a long time since I've posted on here about anything political, social, or anything to do about race but my girlfriend and I are really hurt by not only the verdict but also by the reactions by some in this country. Growing up in Boston, I remember the Charles Stuart case and other less popular events that are so similar to the martin case. I also remember Yusef Hawkins and I remember my own brush with a similar situation in 1989. I used to wear a t shirt back then that read "no white woman I don't want your purse" because I was sooo tired of that look from white folks. Needless to say, it sparked a lot of conversations.

amir

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak