Trayvon Martin

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Deluxe life dolo said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    These Stand Your Ground laws have no place in a civilized country.
    Co-sign. Civilized countries have zero crime and innocent civilians' lives are never put in danger.

Or did you mean that a civilized country wouldn't have a need for such laws because people would have enough freedom to protect themselves from potentially deadly harm without approval from the government.

Don't equate sensible, traditional self-defense laws with these poorly-written, senseless Stand Your Ground laws, which are designed to appeal to the gunslinger mentality.

This verdict was delivered on the basis of those "sensible, traditional self-defense laws" you creepy ass cracker.

Stand your ground laws remove a victims duty to retreat whilst under attack. As Zimmerman's testimony from the outset was that he was unable to retreat they have never been applicable to the case and have never been invoked by his defense.

this is not accurate. from the instructions to the jury:

If George Zimmerman was not engaged in an unlawful activity and was attacked in any place where he had a right to be, he had no duty to retreat and had the right to stand his ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he reasonably believed that it was necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

and I'm out

• vintageinfants said:
    i've managed to stay out of this thread entirely up until now.

not the twist the blade too much, but to be completely honest the whole united states of america should be embarrassed right now.

up here in this wussy little brother country canada we roast actual police officers for doing a lot less.

i'm just very, very sad.

It's Canada that should be embarrassed right now. They also shouldv'e been embarrassed yesterday, last year, 100 years ago and should remain embarrassed until such point they are no longer Canada, perhaps as a result of conquest by greenland or some other pathetic country that even though it is utterly pathetic could still kick canada's even more pathetic ass.

David duke Zimmerman contested that his killing of Emmit Til was justifiable homicide as it happened in self defence. Once this plea had been entered and accepted it becomes the responsibility of the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that this was not the case. THE PROSECUTION CAME NOWHERE CLOSE TO ACHIEVING THIS.

The only scandal about this whole trial was that it ever took place, something that never would have happened if a diseased media hungry for human interest story they could use to beat up on 'racist' america hadn't ginned up a controversy on the basis of smears, distrotions and outright fabrications.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

and I'm out

Ignore button getting a workout today...

• Frank said:
    Some armed wanna-be cop patrols the streets at night and decides to stalk a kid. A real cop tells the man to stop it, man ignores the order and continues stalking the kid. The kid confronts him and a fist fight ensues, wanna-be cop shoots and kills the kid.

Now a jury of idiots lets the killer walk free and the prosecutor says: "We live in a great country that has a great criminal justice system. It's not perfect, but it is the best in the world and we respect the jury's verdict"

What a fucking joke. Your system is retarded and the world shakes its head in disgusted bewilderment.

Fist fights do not ensue, nor do they transpire, materialise, grow, or happen in any other way which denies the role of human agency. A fist fight begins when one individual chooses to physically attack another and the other responds.

It is amazing that you rabble of poorly dressed idiots can claim this case was wrongly decided even as you use language which implicitly admits that information essential to a guilty verdict is unknown.

• Deluxe life dolo said:

tired caricature

personally, i preferred the base model.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    And just to add a little something special to the occasion, Zimmerman has been given his gun back.

I wonder if the cops threw in some free bullets, just for good luck.

Thanks to easily manipulated chumps like you he damn well needs his gun back. Who knows how many misguided young black men will now fall at Zimmerman's hands as a result of the irresponsible media campaign against him. If Zimmerman didn't have an itchy trigger finger before he sure as hell will have one now and that really is a terrible shame. How tragic that a man can face such an onslaught of lies that the only way he can save himself from them is to make them true, to become the shoot first ask questions later vigilante that they said he was. It's heartbreaking that they have done this to a fine, community spirited man who has spent his life helping people, a fact which, owing to the perversion of modern society, was actually used against him to portray him as a 'wannabe cop' with a 'hero complex'

• HarveyCanal said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Prosecution seriously messed this up

Or more accurately, Amerikkka did what it does to (non-rich) black folks for the zillionth time in a row.

Amerikkka is actually pretty good at convicting the killers of black folk. Its prisons are full of young black men that have done just that.

• PatrickCrazy said:
    edpowers said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    So why stack the deck by trying dude on shit that was not possible to prove with evidence at hand? Murder 2 was not happening.

Bullshit
    What part of my post was bullshit?

The part where you didnt just mindlessly regurgitate received opinion

• vintageinfants said:
    Deluxe life dolo said:

tired caricature

no doubt, that guy was wittier and more entertaining. still better than moelarryandjesus though.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What's up with people registering new accounts to throw around racial slurs?

Racism is obviously a factor in this case but completely aside from that there are fundamental legal issues. You can't outlaw racism. What you can and should outlaw are civilian armed neighborhood patrols. How the fuck can this be legal? If there's a crime problem and you think you need to have a neighborhood watch then go ahead and patrol the streets but not with a gun. It's obvious that nobody would make the same decision when carrying a gun than he would make without. It's also clear that a decision made without carrying a gun will be the smarter one. Zimmerman was on the phone with police. He told them that there was somebody walking down the street looking suspicious. He was told by police to stop pursuing the person but he decided to not follow that order. He ignored it because he was armed and felt he could risk a confrontation. From this point on I don't think he should have been able to claim self defense. The whole idea of civilian dudes carrying guns, walking the streets at night to enforce their idea of order and justice is completely ludicrous. Who would want to live in such a place? Who would want to even visit it?

All this "stand your ground" bullshit... it was Trayvon who stood his ground. It was his ground and not Zimmernans' because Trayvon had a reason to be here. He was on his way home. Zimmerman had no reason to be there or at least not a good one. He was there against the order of police and for no other reason but to provoke a conflict. He was in the role of an armed predator who was stalking his prey and eventually killing it. What kind of a legal system can let shit like this go unpunished?

Only Zimmerman's ground was to stand on. Trayvon Martin's ground was for use as a weapon!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    vintageinfants said:
    Deluxe life dolo said:

tired caricature

no doubt, that guy was wittier and more entertaining. still better than moelarryandjesus though.

I was just saying the other day that I sort of missed Dolo.

Dolo-please to start a thread enumerating the things that Dolo is and is not about in 2013.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    edpowers said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    So why stack the deck by trying dude on shit that was not possible to prove with evidence at hand? Murder 2 was not happening.

Bullshit

A lesser charge or even a flawless presentation would not have made a difference.

And here we go. It's open season on young Black men in Florida.

Florida man pleads not guilty to shooting teen to death over loud music

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Interesting to note that the NRA has not popped up to say that if only Martin had been armed, he'd be alive now.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:

Nov

3:11pm, EST

PatrickCrazy said:
    DB_Cooper said:

Nov

3:11pm, EST

My bad. So it's BEEN open season on young Black men in Florida.

Check the date though - that happened last year.

Obviously relevant, but has flown under the radar until now.

"Man, I'm so turnt up call me Jordan Davis/
    Trying to put my hood on like Trayvon/
    And you motherfuckers wonder why I tote a pistol..." - Lito

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i was expecting a rodney king-like backlash to the outcome of the trial.

are you getting softer or smarter?

I'm hoping that nothing like that happens. TMs parents are on record as saying they don't want riots.

I'm hoping we are smarter.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    Interesting to note that the NRA has not popped up to say that if only Martin had been armed, he'd be alive now.
    That was my take away because it's true. Shoot first.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    It's Canada that should be embarrassed right now. They also shouldv'e been embarrassed yesterday, last year, 100 years ago and should remain embarrassed until such point they are no longer Canada, perhaps as a result of conquest by greenland or some other pathetic country that even though it is utterly pathetic could still kick canada's even more pathetic ass.

This is the dolo we missed

No diss to Canada btw

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    With certain characters, them not liking you is actually a compliment

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I love canada

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    An adult male that cannot defend themselves against a teenager with their wits and/or hands is pathetic. Even more pathetic are people, unless they are law-enforcement personnel on their way to work , who feel they need to have the power to kill at their fingertips whenever they leave the house...the only people who feel they need to have the power to kill at their fingertips are either criminals or paranoid cowards. Unless he was just returning from the shooting range, GZ felt he needed to have the power to kill at his fingertips because he lacked the wits and good sense to avoid trouble. Add to that a court system that allows the victim to be turned into the suspect on trial and all you have now is every paranoid coward that feels they have the state's endorsement to kill people they deem scary with impunity. This probably doesn't set us up for a peaceful future, to say the least. What is really sad is that there are large groups of people finding joy, relief and pride in this verdict. Why would someone find such glee in things so despicable? GZ's glee is understandable, he lied his way out of going to prison..but others seem to just be happy that someone murdered someone else.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    edpowers said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    edpowers said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Bullshit

A lesser charge or even a flawless presentation would not have made a difference.

I think that stand your ground law gets around even manslaughter.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    motown67 said:

This is true. At the end of the day, the only (reasonable) explanation is that the jury found that GZ had a reasonable fear of serious injury or death at the hands of TM.

Black people are scarytm

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    motown67 said:

This is true. At the end of the day, the only (reasonable) explanation is that the jury found that GZ had a reasonable fear of serious injury or death at the hands of TM.

This is it, really. Unfortunately. Legally, the decision is probably correct, but morally the whole situation is an outrage.

Lack of witnesses was a serious problem.

I also gotta say that the judge's directions to the jury were just awful. Clear as mud.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Legally, the decision is probably correct,

Which is bullshit. Because the facts are that GZ refused to listen to the 911 operator when they told him to stay in his car and let police handle the situation. That right there shows malice IMO. You refuse to listen to a direct order from the police and venture out with a gun. That shows malice, no?

And I said it at the beginning of this thread back in March. The only person that should be able to claim any sort of stand your ground here is TM. He was the one that wasn't doing anything illegal going about his own business being stalked by some wannabe vigilante who refused to listen to authorities.

The shit makes no sense. And the prosecution should have been bringing that up every step of the way.