Trayvon Martin

Comments

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    one more reason to move out of this fucking racist police state
    fuck this shit it's over and done

• majorly disappointing verdict. i hope the jurors have the courtesy of sharing their rationale with the media.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    If you were surprised by the verdict you haven't been paying attention to the case. Martin's female friend who was supposed to be the last person to talk to him got tore up over the note she made. The last witness for the prosecution was the medical examiner who did not want to answer any questions. Whatever point the prosecution was trying to make with him was lost. Finally there was a witness who said he saw Martin sitting on top of Zimmerman's chest during the struggle. How are you going to get all the jurors to agree upon any kind of guilty verdict with that type of testimony? Face it this was a shit prosecution.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    The defense did call witnesses to the fight. Like I said, one claimed that Martin was on top of Zimmerman.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Some armed wanna-be cop patrols the streets at night and decides to stalk a kid. A real cop tells the man to stop it, man ignores the order and continues stalking the kid. The kid confronts him and a fist fight ensues, wanna-be cop shoots and kills the kid.

Now a jury of idiots lets the killer walk free and the prosecutor says: "We live in a great country that has a great criminal justice system. It's not perfect, but it is the best in the world and we respect the jury's verdict"

What a fucking joke. Your system is retarded and the world shakes its head in disgusted bewilderment.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

In line with Frank's post, the scariest part is the message implicit in the verdict. As a big Black man, the verdict tells me that any wing-nut armed with negative stereotypes (and a handgun) can deem me 'suspicious', stalk me, kill me, and then claim self-defense if I dare defend myself against an armed stranger. You know that Black men are violent whether we're unarmed and minding our business or not. This stereotype is pernicious and truly scary. I'm utterly disgusted yet saddened by the verdict, and I feel so awfully for the Martin family. Twenty-seven years ago, I was Trayvon Martin so I could've been victimized in similar fashion growing up down south. It's a sad reminder that America has a long way to go to realize the ideal of equal justice.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    When you are armed and actively following a single person who has done you no harm down a street at night then you are in the role of the predator. This should make it impossible to later claim self defense.

You are putting yourself into a situation or in this case you are creating a situation where someone is being followed and feels threatened. You feel like you can do this because you are armed. Otherwise common sense would tell you that its not a good idea to stalk someone down a street at night because you know that this person will feel threatened by you and a person that feels threatened is likely to react and reactions made out of fear are likely to culminate in a fight.

Zimmernam felt empowered by his gun and entitled by an idiotic law to ignore common sense and to create a situation where a young man felt provoked and threatened and a violent confrontation ensued.

Trayvon was on top and beating on Zimmerman. So what? Don't stalk people down a street at night. If you don't know better than that then maybe you need a beating to learn it.

There were way too many terrible looks around this trial but to me this really stood out:

• http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/15/us/debate-on-race-and-justice-is-renewed.html?hp

???Clearly, he???s a free man in the eyes of the court, but he???s going to be looking around his shoulder for the rest of his life,??? Robert Zimmerman, George???s brother, said on CNN after the trial ended.

???There are factions, there are groups, there are people that would want to take the law into their own hands as they perceive it or be vigilantes in some sense,??? he said. ???They will always present a threat to George and to his family.???

I genuinely cannot square this circle. Does your entire judiciary/legislature/society have a learning disability?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    There's an even more awful quote by Robert Zimmerman where he suggests that Trayvon was maybe growing pot plants and trying to acquire a gun (the irony!) and he just wishes that someone would have reached out to him and shown him the right path. Like George did by mentoring two black kids.

I shit you not. #whitesplaining

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    There's an even more awful quote by Robert Zimmerman where he suggests that Trayvon was maybe growing pot plants and trying to acquire a gun (the irony!) and he just wishes that someone would have reached out to him and shown him the right path. Like George did by mentoring two black kids.

I shit you not. #whitesplaining

Yeah it was all in a Pierce Morgan interview on CNN last night. He was really painting the picture that GZ is the victim and hopefully people will learn a lesson from Trayvon's mistakes. That kind of shit.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Prosecution seriously messed this up

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:

Or more accurately, Amerikkka did what it does to (non-rich) black folks for the zillionth time in a row.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    So why stack the deck by trying dude on shit that was not possible to prove with evidence at hand? Murder 2 was not happening.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Or more accurately, Amerikkka did what it does to (non-rich) black folks for the zillionth time in a row.

Thank u. Im not surprised at all.

• Soul ZillaSoul Zilla 153 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Curious, are you white, black, asian, or hispanic?

Why does that shit matter

Stop talking

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    anyone who doesn't already know that shit about rasheid should not be addressing da god in the first place

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    So why stack the deck by trying dude on shit that was not possible to prove with evidence at hand? Murder 2 was not happening.

Bullshit

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    And it gets uglier and more ignorant

Chamber Brother assaulted over Trayvon song

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    edpowers said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Bullshit
    What part of my post was bullshit?

• i've managed to stay out of this thread entirely up until now.

not the twist the blade too much, but to be completely honest the whole united states of america should be embarrassed right now.

up here in this wussy little brother country canada we roast actual police officers for doing a lot less.

i'm just very, very sad.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    whew, good to know that it's okay for soulstrut to judge entire countries again
    next time I ask a question about oneI better double check though

Lol what part of America (fuck yeah) is on point right now??

We should be embarrassed. No matter where you choose to look.

• Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Lol what part of America (fuck yeah) is on point right now??

We should be embarrassed. No matter where you choose to look.

i'll presume that the cryin' hawaiian was defending his stance with either sarcasm or poorly crafted rhetoric. to which i'm glad i didn't read it.

i didn't make that post because i wanted to show everyone how righteous i am, because i'm not.. i just think that the entire country should take a step back and assess what it is exactly that they stand for.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    should have specified non-residents criticizing other countries
    people seem to rage over that but it also seems to be very selective

We can all be embarrassed about whatever we want to but when such embarrassment is confined to the internet, it does absolutely nothing.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    So now we're judging an entire country over the actions of one idiot in a single state? Sounds kinda like that racism thing people were complaining about in this thread but I could be wrong.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    What the fuck are you babbling about with that incoherent bullshit?

Turn your mouth off, go outside, and come back later. My god...

• i was expecting a rodney king-like backlash to the outcome of the trial.

are you getting softer or smarter?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    gareth said:
    What the fuck are you babbling about with that incoherent bullshit?

Turn your mouth off, go outside, and come back later. My god...
    im talking about soulstrut bros who are quick to condemn people.

as far as all the protests going on, great. vent your rage, raise awareness or whatever the goal is. if the end result is to rely on the same government that lets stuff like this happen over and over and think that oh hey maybe something will change now, count me out.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    PatrickCrazy said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    These Stand Your Ground laws have no place in a civilized country.
    Co-sign. Civilized countries have zero crime and innocent civilians' lives are never put in danger.

Or did you mean that a civilized country wouldn't have a need for such laws because people would have enough freedom to protect themselves from potentially deadly harm without approval from the government.

Don't equate sensible, traditional self-defense laws with these poorly-written, senseless Stand Your Ground laws, which are designed to appeal to the gunslinger mentality.

This verdict was delivered on the basis of those "sensible, traditional self-defense laws" you creepy ass cracker.

Stand your ground laws remove a victims duty to retreat whilst under attack. As Zimmerman's testimony from the outset was that he was unable to retreat they have never been applicable to the case and have never been invoked by his defense.

This is basic stuff, absolutely basic. Take off your fedora and put on your thinking cap, honkey.