RIP DARONDO

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Jinx just posted on facebook that Darondo just passed on.

RIP

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    RIP.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Rip. Didn't I is a pretty incredible song.

• rip to a legend

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    RIP

Could find a cause of death. Old age? Not ever sure how old he was.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    RIP. very sad about this.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Wow. RIP

I found out about him through the Strut. Didn't I is basically like a Strut Theme Song to me...

Does anyone have a HQ rip of it they want to share?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    What a fucking shame. I first heard his Didn't I single from a mixtape swap via the Strut. Then I tracked down the 45, and then there was the CD re-release. Shortly afterward I had the privilege to see him live in SF. He made some beautiful music.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Very sad, and like many, I owe a debt to the strut on this song. The first time I heard this- sitting at my desk in an old apartment- I threw off my headphones in amazement.

My condolences to those on here who knew the man.

RIP to someone who may not have had the largest catalog, but can stand next to any singer for having one of the greatest songs of all time.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    This news bummed me out. Goodbye to an alltime player.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    RIP Darondo, viva Jinx. Very sad news.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    gareth said:
    Very sad, and like many, I owe a debt to the strut on this song. The first time I heard this- sitting at my desk in an old apartment- I threw off my headphones in amazement.

My condolences to those on here who knew the man.

RIP to someone who may not have had the largest catalog, but can stand next to any singer for having one of the greatest songs of all time.

Pretty much ALL OF THIS.

Darondo and SoulStrut are entangled together in my PMG. I remember being utterly blown away the first time i heard it (via a link here), then buying a copy of the 45 from Paycheck, then giving it up during a Heatrock.

R.I.P for real.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Such heartfelt music.

Rest in peace.

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Very sad news.

I remember visiting SF and being taken around the area by Jinx to all his secret digging spots. This was around the time he was working on releasing the LP. Think we listened to the demos for pretty much the entire week whilst driving from spot to spot. Thanks Justin and RIP Dorando!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    This is sad. But I'm glad his music achieved some widespread notoriety among those who really appreciate soul music.

RIP

• Damn. Sad news indeed.

R.I.P.

• The Music City Sessions LP that came out a couple years ago is mind-blowing. His singing affects me in a different way than anybody else. So visceral. One of my favorite artists of all time.

• oh no :-(

rip Darondo, one of my favs...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    RIP.

First heard Didn't I thanks to Giles Peterson in 2002. Sweet, sweet soul music.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Otis_Funkmeyer said:
    The Music City Sessions LP that came out a couple years ago is mind-blowing. His singing affects me in a different way than anybody else. So visceral. One of my favorite artists of all time.

:cosign:

RIP

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    Hello Strut, long time no see. Thought some of you would enjoy this Darondo tribute we put together over the last few weeks:

http://nerdtorious.com/2013/07/01/how-he-got-over-an-oral-history-of-darondo-fandom/

RIP to a legend. He will be missed.