70s Argentinian Jazz

uttersutters 321 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Hey everyone- I'm really into this right now

It started when I bought 'Viejas Raizes' by Jorge Lopez Ruiz off the back of the cool looking cover. This was in Buenos Aires almost 10 years ago

It's always been a favourite of mine, but weirdly never bothered to look up more stuff. UNTIL NOW

Was turned onto Rodolfo Alchourron, Quinteplus, Jorge Lopez Ruiz 5 'De Prepo'. Just awesome, awesome music

What else? Specifically interested in electric instrumentation, electric guitars, fender rhodes etc. I know Lopez Ruiz has done big band type records, but I love the intimate sound of raizes

So yeah. Any recommendations highly appreciated

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I only know a handful of BA jazz records as well. Chivo Borraro has some really good stuff:

Jorge Lopez Ruiz has a few more great records:

I think he's the only one who went on a Bitches Brew-inspired electric period, but I'm not sure.

Gato Barbieri is Argentinian too. His Latin America series has some great moments.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Gato Barbieri is Argentinian too. His Latin America series has some great moments.

So is Lalo Schifrin, though most of his releases are from the U.S.

He made this in '58 with a young Gato Barbieri:

And a live album from '70 that's worth seeking out:

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    :oh_snap:

Horseleech hipped me to Chivo Borraro a few weeks ago - he has a great album from '66, 'El Nuevo Sonido del Chivo Borraro'

I will be all over these other recommendations too

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Thanks for these everyone!

Seems like Lopez Ruiz really is the man though, wish his albums weren't so expensive

Alchourron not so bad, can be had for about $50 each

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Thanks bigchalz

that Red Peyote blog is great- some really recent mediafire links to the Chivo Borraro albums, like within the last couple of weeks

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    That blog is awesome, thanks for posting that up....

Another Argentino jazz group worth checking out is Grupo Encuentro - they are more early 80s fusion style jazz with some synthy moments.

I uploaded a rip of their Nuestro Hogar LP a while back to SS- not sure if its still active

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    More good shit

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    paging TDLT02 and Magsonjazz.

your expertise on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

please and thank you.

• Although its 60s jazz Jorge Lopez Ruiz - Ba Jazz On Vik is one of the best Argentinian lps.
    Ruben Lopez Furst Jazz en Universidad and Jazz Argentino are also killers. Quinteplus is a good jazz funker with some breaks.