supreme kourt

BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
u mad?
u happy?
speak on it

Comments

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    I understand the court's reasoning: that the formula devised 40 years ago is becoming out dated(I think they ruled it WAS outdated), but they only informed Congress that it was heading in that direction 4 years ago.

A piece of legislation of this magnitude, that has been this successful, should have been given more time to be improved (longer than the 4 years given by the court), instead of just tossed out. Especially with this poisonous political climate.

At the end of the day, one just has to look at census numbers and trends to understand that the clock is ticking on white majority rule.

Get along or get out of the way.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I'm not sure I fully understand the decisions. Voting district still get changed to benefit politicians and it's usually a class/race issue so obviously we haven't come as far as the court thinks.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    They should just step in and free George Zimmerman while they're at it.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I understand their opinion on the Voting Rights Act, on the other hand, it goes in line with the conservatives on this court who seem to think that bringing up race is racist.

"Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, the GOP's 2013 gubernatorial candidate, filed a petition Tuesday with the U.S. Supreme Court seeking to uphold Virginia's anti-sodomy law."

So they want to eliminate voting protection for minorities, re-instate sodomy laws and continue to try to fight a women's right to chose. In other words, it's 1950.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    volumen said:
    "Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, the GOP's 2013 gubernatorial candidate, filed a petition Tuesday with the U.S. Supreme Court seeking to uphold Virginia's anti-sodomy law."

So they want to eliminate voting protection for minorities, re-instate sodomy laws and continue to try to fight a women's right to chose. In other words, it's 1950.

Seriously. This shit seems like fucking bizarro world...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    volumen said:

and they think the Taliban are bad guys, despite all their ideological similarities.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    well, sheeyit.

ppadilha said:
    volumen said:

and they think the Taliban are bad guys, despite all their ideological similarities.

Yea, we don't want Sharia law we want Christian law because our god is right.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Breaking: Supreme Court declares gay couples now eligible to pay higher tax rates.

Interestingly, gay couples will now feel pressure to settle down, marry and raise families. So, in the end, its puritanism that has won out.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was very upset about the voting rights ruling at first.
    A number of these states are actively trying to suppress minority voting.
    On reflection I realize that nearly every R controlled state legislature is trying to suppress minority voting.
    For those states not covered by VRA the recourse is challenging anti voting rights laws in the courts.
    Now the same will be true for the 9 VRA states.

I can live with that.

:happyday:
    :lalala:

The 2 decisions Wednesday point out how much better off we are with Obama.
    His appointees have replaced justices who were likely more liberal.
    But McCain's appointees likely would have lead to the return of the dark ages.

LaserWolf said:

For sure. If McCain was elected, Gitmo would still be open, we'd still be at war in the middle east, there would be spying on citizens and killing US citizens with drones, there IRS and the EPA would be targeting private citizens for political purposes, McCain would probably be bypassing Congress with legislative orders and there would probably be a revolving door between the administration and the big banks and financial consulting firms.

Thank God we dodged that bullet.

Probably be up to 5% unemployment too.

sabadabada said:
    LaserWolf said:

For sure. If McCain was elected, Gitmo would still be open, we'd still be at war in the middle east, there would be spying on citizens and killing US citizens with drones, there IRS and the EPA would be targeting private citizens for political purposes, McCain would probably be bypassing Congress with legislative orders and there would probably be a revolving door between the administration and the big banks and financial consulting firms.

Thank God we dodged that bullet.

For sure.
    That is my point.
    Obama has failed on so many issues.

But with McCain sodomy laws would be reinstated.
    We would have troops on the ground right now in both Libya and Syria.
    And all the rest, McCain=Obama.

But the SCOTUSA is better off for having Obama, and I think you will join me in celebrating Wednesday's rulings.

PS: McCain may have already closed Gitmo over Congress' objections.

It's really unfortunate that Wednesday's rulings are marred by those of a mere day before.

Anyone thinking a McCain presidency would be anything but an utter disaster is absolutely delusional.

I'd have more faith in a Romney presidency.

• 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

If The Gay Rights Movement is The Civil Rights Movement of Today, what does SCOTUS' Tuesday ruling say for gay rights 50 years from now? Or women's rights, or anyone's rights who isn't a White, Heterosexual, Christian Male (not to be confused with Christian Bale, who can pretty much do whatever he wants in this country)

As happy as I am, and as personally affected as I am, by Wednesday's decisions,

the comparison can't be made. And I think this week's court decisions drive home that point.

• Elaborate, please