Low End Theory VS. Midnight Marauders.

12346»

Comments

• /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21And THREE TIMES DOPE's SECOND ALBUM is 4th place for best rap album ever.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oj.gif" alt="" 21

• oh and the 13th is a P.U.T.S. "A question in form of an Answer"! just remembered that one!b, 21b, 21Hi Lord Radio!

• LET has more sentimental value (hollering at girls at the waterpark related)img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1074.gif" alt="" 21b, 21but I really think MM is a better album.

• LOW END THEORY better in my ears and heart.b, 21i was listening to a lot of music right before that came out, but that black sheep and cypress made me leave everything else alone and just F*ck with hiphop until looking for old records re-expanded shit again.b, 21b, 21b, 21low end had all those crazy basslines (excursions, buggin out...) and the crew was just a touch younger and not as established. by the time marauders came out, i felt they were already at the top, and of course they delivered...but lowenedtheory came from a different place.b, 21b, 21for real, q tips had amazing longevity. hell probably be around for a while longer too. hopefully.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    First single: b, 21"Check the Rhime" vs. "Award Tour"b, 21Advantage: LETb, 21b, 21Second single: b, 21"We Got the Jazz" vs. "Electric Relaxation"b, 21Advantage: MMb, 21b, 21Third single: b, 21"Scenario" vs. "Oh My God"b, 21Advantage: LETb, 21b, 21Remixes:b, 21"We Got the Jazz" remix + "Scenario" Remix vs. "Oh My God" Remixes + "Lyrics" Remixb, 21Advantage: LETb, 21b, 21B-Sides:b, 21"Hot Sex" (kind of like a B-side) vs. "The Chase Pt. 2" + "One Two Shit"b, 21Advantage: MMb, 21b, 21First song:b, 21"Excursions" vs. "Steve Biko"b, 21Advantage: LETb, 21b, 21Last song: b, 21"Scenario" vs. "God Lives Through"b, 21Advantage: (in my book) TIE

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21First single:
    b, 21"Check The Rhime" vs. "Award Tour"
    b, 21Advantage: LET
    b, 21
    b, 21Second single:
    b, 21"We Got The Jazz" vs. "Electric Relaxation"
    b, 21Advantage: MM
    b, 21
    b, 21Third single:
    b, 21"Scenario" vs. "Oh My God"
    b, 21
    b, 21Remixes:
    b, 21"We Got the Jazz" remix + "Scenario" Remix vs. "Oh My God" Remixes + "Lyrics" Remix
    b, 21
    b, 21B-Sides:
    b, 21"Hot Sex" (kind of like a B-side) vs. "The Chase Pt. 2" + "One Two Shit"
    b, 21Advantage: MM
    b, 21
    b, 21First song:
    b, 21"Excursions" vs. "Steve Biko"
    b, 21
    b, 21Last song:
    b, 21"Scenario" vs. "God Lives Through"
    b, 21Advantage: (in my book) TIE
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21 Electric but I know Beckys drool over ER.b, 21b, 21 b, 21How do u have Hot Sex in the LET group? The "sound" seemed MM-ish to me.

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21Can I love them both equally?
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21img src=http://writlarge.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/stevens21.jpg1b, 21NO!

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    Electric but I know Beckys drool over ER.b, 21b, 21 b, 21How do u have Hot Sex in the LET group? The "sound" seemed MM-ish to me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 211) The reason why Beckies like ER is b/c DJs keep spinning that shit. I love "Jazz" but "ER" is next level. One of my favorite interviews was one my friend Hua did with Pos from De La Soul where he retells the first time he and the group heard "ER" and it humbled them by how perfect a song it was. b, 21b, 21That said, 12" to 12", "Jazz" winds easily since it has that awesome "Rerecording" mix. "Grand groove, grand groove!"b, 21b, 212) As for "Hot Sex"...I think it's more LET in sound, by far. Either way, not one of my favorites by the group.

• LET, for a lot of the time and place reasons people have said. Rockin' that on my yellow sony walkman, wearing out the tape, and chasing girls. It will always mean more to me than MM. And, as I'm not the only one to say that in here, I think that there is something about the content and timing of that album. It hit like nothing could at that time, and there is a REASON that it affects people so much, and has become a part of who they are- because it was that REAL. MM had expectations that LET didn't have, and therefore couldn't replace the spontaneity and suprise of LET.b, 21b, 21I'd also like to agree with Cos that Death Certificate is in my top three rap albums of all time. Holy shit. That was hot the day it dropped, and it has aged like a fine wine. I was exposing an editor here at work to that, WC, Kam, and Da Lench Mob a couple weeks back, and loved that trip down memory lane.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    Electric but I know Beckys drool over ER.b, 21b, 21 b, 21How do u have Hot Sex in the LET group? The "sound" seemed MM-ish to me. b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1
    b, 21
    b, 211) The reason why Beckies like ER is b/c DJs keep spinning that shit. I love "Jazz" but "ER" is next level. One of my favorite interviews was one my friend Hua did with Pos from De La Soul where he retells the first time he and the group heard "ER" and it humbled them by how perfect a song it was.
    b, 21
    b, 21That said, 12" to 12", "Jazz" winds easily since it has that awesome "Rerecording" mix. "Grand groove, grand groove!"
    b, 21
    b, 212) As for "Hot Sex"...I think it's more LET in sound, by far. Either way, not one of my favorites by the group.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21Hot Sex was a Big club banger.

• /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 And, as I'm not the only one to say that in here, I think that there is something about the content and timing of that album. It hit like nothing could at that time, and there is a REASON that it affects people so much, and has become a part of who they are- because it was that REAL. MM had expectations that LET didn't have, and therefore couldn't replace the spontaneity and suprise of LET.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21The departure/jump in sound w/ Instinctive to Low End Theory is much bigger than LET to Marauders...IMO. They shaved down the Native Toungue(sample-delic) sound on LET.

Word - LET was like the group finding this whole new genius level. MM was a refinement past that. In my mind, MM is the better crafted album but LET had the bigger impact. b, 21b, 21Plus, I just like it better. The first half of that album is one of the best sequenced of anything I can compare it to.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21 In my mind, MM is the better crafted album but LET had the bigger impact.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21That's probably the best way to put it. I still ride for MM overall tho. b, 21b, 21I bought every Tribe record when it came out, but I remember getting that one the day it dropped and walking back from the store with my man (sharing headphones with a splitter no less) and just bugging on that record. Maybe it was the weed.

• Side B - Midnight > Side A - Electric Relaxationb, 21b, 21I.n M.y Private M.ind G.arden.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    did anyone ever notice that check the rhime sounds strange once you notice that the loops are not being played at the same speed? listen to the snares. why did they do that?

• There's nothing about "Check The Rhyme" that sounds strange.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    /font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21There's nothing about "Check The Rhyme" that sounds strange.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21For real. I love the way the Minnie Riperton loop kinda falls out of sync with the drum programming over the course of two bars, then lines back up again when the loop starts over. I think that's funky shit right there.

• LET - The videos > MM - The videos

/font1
    /font1
    h, 21
    MM - The videos b, 21b, 21h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21object width="425" height="344"1param name="movie" value=""1/param1param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"1/param1param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"1/param1embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"1/embed1/object1b, 21b, 21 img src="/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/krusty.gif" alt="" 21

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MM not in the SS 100.

Deal.

• Church.