Yeezus

OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
So... What does the Strut think?

I quite like it. It's heavier than most "hipHop" albums, and it is just different. Only thing I REALLY don't like is the end bit to I am a God, which is just annoying screams.

As a whole I like his new thing where the track is one thing and then in the middle of it is like 8 secs of a completely different song/vibe and then back to the song. See also "Numbers on the Board" (which I REALLY like).

What's the verdict? Or doesn't anyone care anymore? Which I doubt as the NYT interview went to a good couple of pages.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    This could have been asked in the Kanye West Interview Thread.
    Dudes are already discussing the leaked joint.

Merge pleez

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I move for this thread to be retitled "The thread where you hate on Kanye's new album", for the sake of consistency and in order for it to meet accepted SS standardisation criteria for previous Kanye threads.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    As much as I want to be, I'm not mad.

• YEESHUA YEEWEH

• vintageinfants said:
    YEESHUA YEEWEH

No he can't be both. Jay-Z is already 'Hov. Ye will have to do with Yeezus.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    True story:

I used to think he was calling himself Jay (Edgar) Hova.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    NerdAlert said:
    As much as I want to be, I'm not mad.

I've been playing this in the ride... and I'm into it. I skip a few tracks but I Am God and New Slaves are pretty epic. I heard that Daft Punk produced I Am God, but I'm not hearing it. Can someone confirm/deny?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Let me just come out and say I've played this all the way thru with headphones the last 2 nights and I'm feeling it heavy (and I was fully prepared to hate this record and can't stand that motherfucker). It was kinda shocking in some parts which is hard to do to my old ass in 2013. Say what you want about the dude, but you can't deny the art.

Overall it's a big, ambitious, insane, fuck you/bipolar rich man rap record and I fux with it.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    day said:
    the art.

day said:
    Overall it's a big, ambitious, insane, fuck you/bipolar rich man rap record and I fux with it.

^^^^This!!

I read that he interned in Italy in some fashion designer's office and he wants to take it to that art level. This album is part of his application.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I've been a fan and I'm not on the hater train, but this one kind of loses me. I'll give it some more spins, but the vocals and the music don't seem to connect to me. It kind of sounds like all the vocals were recorded to a generic beat and then dudes noodled on top of it. There are some great moments, but they always noodle into something else.

• I thought the fact when he was asked how he felt about his album leaking he said 0 fucks were given, even when we recorded it 0 fucks were given, was very telling. That's exactly how it sounds.. "yo yeesus we need a scream here.. for 37 seconds.. i don't give a fuck" that said, the album is complete shit with 0 replay value, and even less flavor. This is music for men in leather skirts & leggings who are too cool for the room, i'll stick with Alchemist & Prodigy's new record.

• Herm said:
    True story:

I used to think he was calling himself Jay (Edgar) Hova.

I always thought J-Hova was also a play on the name of crime boss Jimmy Hoffa.

• NEW YORK ??? In an article expected to be released in this week???s Science Magazine , and putting to rest thousands of hours of conspiracy fueled by KanyeToThe and /mu/, Neil deGrasse Tyson has confirmed that the earth actually does revolve around Kanye West .
    ???Essentially, it appears as if the numerous orbiting celestial bodies in our Solar System are all gravitationally attracted towards Mr. West,??? said Tyson in a press statement, ???Numerous planetary-mass objects also revolve around him as well???what am I saying???fuck you, Copernicus, YEEZUS UP IN HERE.???
    The article also includes an in-depth look as to, due to the 2006 IAU definition of a planet, whether or not a pregnant Kim Kardashian is the 9th planet in Solar System, due to her being a sphere by her ???own gravitational force,??? and by being ???really, and we scientists mean really, fucking gigantic.???
    ???Ray J hit it first, and while his ???planetary phallus??? is rather impressive, he still revolves around Kanye. CyHi Da Prince is still irrelevant, though.???
    Added Tyson, ???The hype is real, fam.???

via: http://therapinsider.com/

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    new wavy

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    day said:
    Let me just come out and say I've played this all the way thru with headphones the last 2 nights and I'm feeling it heavy (and I was fully prepared to hate this record and can't stand that motherfucker). It was kinda shocking in some parts which is hard to do to my old ass in 2013. Say what you want about the dude, but you can't deny the art.

Exactly, and whoever thinks Kanye didn't put any effort into this album is tripping.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Rap for people who don't like rap?

bassie said:

"Oh he's so artistic!"

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    should i listen to this or should i wait for the douchebag upstairs to "rap" along to another kanye album while drunkenly crawling up the stairs at 3am on a week day

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    ^^ aging rapidly

• thropethrope 750 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    cove said:
    ^^ aging rapidly

Sounds more like NYC fatigue to me. I know it well.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I'm enjoying, but seriously, his severe misogyny is problematic. Dude seems to equate being a black revolutionary as busting nuts on white women. Also the "sweet and sour" line directed to asian women is wack.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    phongone said:
    I'm enjoying, but seriously, his severe misogyny is problematic. Dude seems to equate being a black revolutionary as busting nuts on white women. Also the "sweet and sour" line directed to asian women is wack.

He is certainly sinking deeper and deeper into that hole. He's pissed at racism, but he's going to make women pay.
    It wouldn't be any more problematic than any of the other misogyny there is in popular culture if people didn't insist on calling him a socially conscious artist and overlook/forgive it in the name of his so-called genius.

You know the saying bad men move in silence? Same thing with great men. I think he doth declareth too much.

It's interesting that people are reading all this as a fuck you when really, he is trying so hard to impress anyone in earshot.
    I can name-drop expensive lamps! I fuck other people's (white) wives! I can speak on art! I wanted desperately to fit into the fashion world before all the other rappers! I'm going to skewer racial inequality (even though I feed off and into it)!

Fuck you and your Hampton house, I???ll fuck your Hampton spouse
    Came on her Hampton blouse and in her Hampton mouth

So forward-thinking!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Suddenly, I wish people were incessantly talking about Game of Thrones again instead of all this fool-blown quackery.

Yikes.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

"Oh he's so artistic!"

Yeah, well...he is.

I'm no Kanye fan - like I said earlier I can't stand the dude - but hate it or love it, you gotta respect it. I've never heard a record like this before, have you? Industrial synth/noise shit, screaming, political/misogynistic/ego rap to the extreme, dancehall, songs switching up 180 in the middle etc. etc. Half the songs on this album don't even have snares. For a "rap" record, this shit is breaking new ground. This is by no means a cohesive record and dude phoned some things in, but it's nuts and polarizing people like the death penalty and abortion. What other record in recent memory has done that?

So say what you will, I have my opinion and you guys have yours. But from a musical/"ARTISTIC" standpoint, I think some of you are letting who made it cloud your opinion. This is music as spectacle and I can guarantee you that fools will be biting this whole shit.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Merely sounds like a Diplo album with a mediocre American rapper on it to me.

I'd rather listen to Earl Sweatshirt who utilizes similar-style beats and can actually rap well.

day said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

"Oh he's so artistic!"

Yeah, well...he is.

I'm no Kanye fan - like I said earlier I can't stand the dude - but hate it or love it, you gotta respect it. I've never heard a record like this before, have you? Industrial synth/noise shit, screaming, political/misogynistic/ego rap to the extreme, dancehall, songs switching up 180 in the middle etc. etc. Half the songs on this album don't even have snares. For a "rap" record, this shit is breaking new ground. This is by no means a cohesive record and dude phoned some things in, but it's nuts and polarizing people like the death penalty and abortion. What other record in recent memory has done that?

So say what you will, I have my opinion and you guys have yours. But from a musical/"ARTISTIC" standpoint, I think some of you are letting who made it cloud your opinion. This is music as spectacle and I can guarantee you fools are gonna be biting this whole shit.

What rapper isnt artistic?

Why does dude get extra points for his package, yet its no different from cats who had concepts surrounding the music.

I heard the "artist" shit back during Graduation when he used Murakami for the album cover. Its not a big deal.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    batmon said:
    day said:
    batmon said:
    bassie said:

"Oh he's so artistic!"

Yeah, well...he is.

So say what you will, I have my opinion and you guys have yours. But from a musical/"ARTISTIC" standpoint, I think some of you are letting who made it cloud your opinion. This is music as spectacle and I can guarantee you fools are gonna be biting this whole shit.

What rapper isnt artistic?

Why does dude get extra points for his package, yet its no different from cats who had concepts surrounding the music.

I heard the "artist" shit back during Graduation when he used Murakami for the album cover. Its not a big deal.

Is rapping "mary had a little lamb" artistic? I'm not gonna get into a debate over what is art/who is artistic since it's all subjective. There's no separating who dude "is" in the public sphere and what he makes. Which, to me, makes this shit kinda all the more fascinating. It sounds like he came in and vomited a bunch of random thoughts over incredibly calculated music.
    So whatever, I'm done defending my opinion. I heard it, I liked it, I was shocked that I liked it and I posted about it.

The end.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    bassie said:
    He is certainly sinking deeper and deeper into that hole. He's pissed at racism, but he's going to make women pay.
    It wouldn't be any more problematic than any of the other misogyny there is in popular culture if people didn't insist on calling him a socially conscious artist and overlook/forgive it in the name of his so-called genius.

You know the saying bad men move in silence? Same thing with great men. I think he doth declareth too much.

It's interesting that people are reading all this as a fuck you when he really, is trying so hard to impress anyone in earshot.
    I can name-drop expensive lamps! I fuck other people's (white) wives! I can speak on art! I wanted desperately to fit into the fashion world before all the other rappers! I'm going to skewer racial inequality (even though I feed off and into it)!

Fuck you and your Hampton house, I???ll fuck your Hampton spouse
    Came on her Hampton blouse and in her Hampton mouth

So forward-thinking!

That line from New Slaves is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm Kanye West and I'm going to fight the evil Prison Industrial Complex by raping your women!