My Dad Was In A Band

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Well, my dad wasn't, but these dudes' dads were.

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    A friend of mine's dad was in a late 60s NYC band called "Cocaine" that unfortunately (or maybe not?) never recorded anything.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    DADS BAND WILL MAKE HER DANCE.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    My dad reckons he played on the same bill as Muddy Waters, in the late 60's in Dublin. I don't believe him.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Girlfriend's dad played in this band...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

I really would like an explanation of that hair-do on the left.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ^^^Frontal reverse mohawk.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Yeah. Pops was in Sha-Na-Na for a minute on keys. He was supposed to play with them at Woodstock but got my Mom pregnant in 69' and she wouldn't let him go to the gig.

Needless to say they divorced...she claims that not letting him go was the major contribution to the downfall.

• Cool website!

My uncle on my dad's side played bass in a psychedelic rock band from '69-'70. Over the last year, I've been able to turn up a lot of their recordings. I think that they had a lot of talent as musicians and songwriters. Currently, I'm getting reel transfers on a daily basis from their drummer. I really want to play these recordings for people and find out if others like the band too.

• My dad still is.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    My friends dad was in an early Simple Minds, so he says.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Ha! Good site.
    My friend's dad was the singer in Orange Bicycle.
    I'm keeping all tapes of my school bands in the hope that my son might one day proudly... on second thoughts, nah. Got some great photos though.

• My dad is currently in a klezmer band... I'm not sure if that counts.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    My Mom's been in cover bands since I was a teen. Mostly oldies and Tejano music. She actually stopped performing the past few years but was recently asked to sing for a band of older dudes that performs in the retirement community/city out here. She's got TONS of energy and the old folks absolutely love her.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    my cousin's grandfather (on the not-related side) was in the kingston trio.