Good places to eat in San Francisco?

Comments

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    http://thirstyreader.com/category/restaurant-reviews/san-francisco/

Sorry, gotta insert a shameless plug here. Check out the link if you want to see some food pics from around the city. I'm drawn towards comfort food more than Michelin-star dining (I've cooked in three different Michelin-star places in Napa, and like most of my kitchen colleagues, I like to get away from this sophistication when I go out).

I think the chicken at Limon is delicious, one of my favorite dishes in the city. If I was going to eat at the Michelin level, I would go with Azizia for sure. Some other noteworthy meals: Torta Cubana at That's It Market, Fried Chicken Ramen at Katana-ya, Fermented Tea Leaf Salad at Burma Superstar. None of these are revelations for anyone who is deep, deep into that SF dining scene, but they're three great examples of something delicious that you probably won't find anywhere else (or at least in one city).

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    Torta Cubana at Sol Food in San Rafael, Fried Chicken Ramen at Suzu or Tanpopo.

rootlesscosmo said:
    waxjunky said:
    Torta Cubana at Sol Food in San Rafael, Fried Chicken Ramen at Suzu or Tanpopo.

I need to follow up on the Sol Food rec. Another pretty good cubana in San Rafael is at Best Lil' Porkhouse.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Slanted Door but pricey for dinner. Lunch menu is more affordable. Place is always packed though.

Zarzuela - excellent Spanish food. Can just pig out on Tapas but main courses are great as well. Place is also always packed and unless the garage across the street is open parking can be a bitch.

• I've had the omakase (chef's choice) at Ichi Sushi twice in the past month. Not cheap, but truly spectacular. And the best part? The chef plays ALL RAPPS. Quality stuff, too. Last Friday, his playlist was a ton of classics, and when a single Drake song came on, he reached over, hit skip, and it went right into "Ante Up." (SKIPJACK THAT FOOL!)

http://ichisushi.com/

• amazing. week in advance reso's for most of these i presume?

• vintageinfants said:
    amazing. week in advance reso's for most of these i presume?

Ichi doesn't take reservations. We had to wait about an hour or so (Friday around 7:30), but they took my number. We went to a bar up the block, caught the tail end of a happy hour, and they called us for our seats. Kind of a perfect night, to be honest.

• anyone got any lines on good hotels for visitors?

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    anyone got any lines on good hotels for visitors?

Might I suggest an air mattress? Maybe rootless has some
    Flo

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

Might I suggest an air mattress? Maybe rootless has some floor, preferably on a carpet that hasn't been peed on by a dog. If you aren't going to enjoy any cooking during your stay, whole foods has food ready to eat.

Anyway, be frugal. SF doesn't need anymore $$

• GatorToof said:
    vintageinfants said:

Might I suggest an air mattress? Maybe rootless has some floor, preferably on a carpet that hasn't been peed on by a dog. If you aren't going to enjoy any cooking during your stay, whole foods has food ready to eat.

Anyway, be frugal. SF doesn't need anymore $$

beg pardon?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    most hotels are in the opera district or union square which i think sucks and are way overpriced for the summer because they are tourist central. i think you should go the airbnb route.

double

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    fwiw, I stayed at a little place called Hotel Abri, which I thought was pretty decent.

close proximity to Union Sq

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Phoenix Hotel is where all the cool kids stay (it's where they do the SF branch of the Do-Over). Be warned, though, that it's in a pretty sketchy part of town.

DJ_Enki said:
    The Phoenix Hotel is where all the cool kids stay (it's where they do the SF branch of the Do-Over). Be warned, though, that it's in a pretty sketchy part of town.

oh yeah, good call. i think you would dig Phoenix but like Enki said, the Tenderloin locals can be challenging at times and the area is grimey as hell. Any of the Joie De Vivre hotels in SF would be up your alley really: https://www.jdvhotels.com/hotels/california/san-francisco-hotels

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    (SKIPJACK THAT FOOL!)

nice one.

• IM HERE YOU DRIPS.

NOW WHAT?!

• which borough is best for Sunday night drinks?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    these days I'm nathen but a turrist but I found that while there are some iconic places in SF to drink, the action was way more jacked in Oakland.

If there's no particular place to go in Oakland, I think the 7-day-a-week drunk quotient is higher in SF...

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    Anytime I'm down in the San Francisco area I ALWAYS have to make a short trip (North) across the Golden Gate Bridge to a small fish and chips spot called 'Fish.' in the town of Sausalito. It's literally one of the first exits after the bridge. Great fresh seasonal menu but is a bit pricey. Cash only too.

Oakland has good spots to hit. There's a place called the Legonar Salon that does a 45's night but I can't remember if its a weekly event or monthly.

Lois Queen of Pie (Southern Soul Food) in Oakland is classic diner.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    rain103 said:

man... grew up on this shit right here

not sure of the quality these days. but an old school North Pole spot for sure

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    rain103 said:
    It's literally one of the first exits after the bridge.

Something amazing about this sentence.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    rain103 said:

man... grew up on this shit right here

not sure of the quality these days. but an old school North Pole spot for sure

Still hits. Sorry if this pic shows up as actual size...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rain103 said:
    Anytime I'm down in the San Francisco area I ALWAYS have to make a short trip (North) across the Golden Gate Bridge to a small fish and chips spot called 'Fish.' in the town of Sausalito. It's literally one of the first exits after the bridge. Great fresh seasonal menu but is a bit pricey. Cash only too.

Fish. is the fuckin' joint. I love that place.

Oakland has good spots to hit. There's a place called the Legionnaire Salon that does a 45's night but I can't remember if its a weekly event or monthly.

That would be the 45 Sessions, of which I am one of the residents, along with my peoples DJ Platurn and E Da Boss. It's a monthly--we do it on third Fridays.

Also in Oakland: Bakesale Betty's for the fried chicken sandwich, which is good eats (I used to live across the street from it), but it's gotten some national press and has become a big deal, so you'll probably wait in line for a while.

There's the House of Chicken and Waffles, which I guess used to be a Roscoe's, but then the managers bought it out (or something like that), and did up their own menu.

On the dive bar steez, The Layover has it going on, and they have dope DJs there pretty much every night.

DJ_Enki said:

That would be the 45 Sessions, of which I am one of the residents, along with my peoples DJ Platurn and E Da Boss. It's a monthly--we do it on third Fridays.

Nice. The homie, Karim, took us there back in March. The last half of the night was a blurrrrrrrrr so I don't remember too much other than the music was on point and the arcade games ripped me off.

We also went to some local drive up burger joint near by after the club but I don't remember the name...

• I'm doing all the crazy touristy jams today, (ie. double decker bus tour, alcatraz, golden gate, alamo square, et al), spent all day yesterday in the mission, got a gigantes game tomorrow with rootless, afternoon tour of the ballpark wednesday, and then Thursday out to oakland.

what are we missing?

SF
    Lombardi Street? Groove Merchant? Fisherman's Wharf? In 'n Out? Chinatown?

Oakland
    Vamp Music? Wing Stop?

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    You can buy herb on Haight.

I did when I was there a few weeks ago.