Good places to eat in San Francisco?

124»

Comments

• TOO MUCH TO DO/EAT

NEED TO REBOOK

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    vintageinfants said:
    amazing. week in advance reso's for most of these i presume?

Ichi doesn't take reservations. We had to wait about an hour or so (Friday around 7:30), but they took my number. We went to a bar up the block, caught the tail end of a happy hour, and they called us for our seats. Kind of a perfect night, to be honest.

you near ichi's? i live right up the hill from there. the secret is to try to get there right when they open at 5:30. You can sit right down, especially on weeknights.

and i know the post is pretty old, but if any tourists are in town, don't try for food at Tu Lan on 6th. It's been shut down for the last year or so for multiple health code violations -- including buying stolen grocery store meat from the homeless. Yum!

damn, i wish i had checked in sooner. i was at the game today, which unfortunately turned into the RA Dickey show.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    this is a bit of a random SF-related question: any Bay Area natives familiar with La Pe??a Cultural Center out in Berkeley? My father was one of the founders of that place BITD, but I've only been once as a wee child. A couple people told me that makes him hippie royalty, I can attest to the hippie part of this. What's that place like now? Can't tell if it's become cheesy or is still relevant.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    this is a bit of a random SF-related question: any Bay Area natives familiar with La Pe??a Cultural Center out in Berkeley? My father was one of the founders of that place BITD, but I've only been once as a wee child. A couple people told me that makes him hippie royalty, I can attest to the hippie part of this. What's that place like now? Can't tell if it's become cheesy or is still relevant.

Can't it be both? Because I'd say that's the most accurate assessment. And yes, that does make him hippie royalty.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    ppadilha said:

I lived down the street from there for a couple years in the late '90's. One of the best concerts I've ever attended was there. It was the Coup doing their Steal This Album schtick on their home turf and it was awesome in every conceivable way.

I'm sure Paycheck has performed up in there as well.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Haha. Many times.

A few infamous battles took place outside as well.

• had burritos at la tequeria, pizza in north beach, sushi at ichi, salmon at the wharf, burger in lower haight and beer at every stop. gonna set out for some BBQ today.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    gonna set out for some BBQ today.

Hit up Cathead's BBQ: http://catheadsbbq.com/. I haven't steered you wrong yet, have I?

At any rate, AVOID Baby Blue's and Memphis Minnie's.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ^^Need to try this spot!

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Haha. Many times.

A few infamous battles took place outside as well.

P.E.A.C.E. had a good one inside, but I can't for the life of me remember who it was against. I wanna say it was some kid claiming to have been with Good Life who he called out. Do you know what I'm referring to, Jonny?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'll have to ask the homies. I don't remember it, but it sounds familiar...

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Rocco's Cafe on Folsom. Nice little Italian joint. Killer linguine and clams

rain103 said:

Oakland
    Wing Stop?

Never. Hooptiest wings evar.

Foreign Cinema = Awesome Croque Madame

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    had burritos at la tequeria, pizza in north beach, sushi at ichi, salmon at the wharf, burger in lower haight and beer at every stop. gonna set out for some BBQ today.

glad you liked the burger BTW. it's my favorite in SF.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    ppadilha said:

Can't it be both? Because I'd say that's the most accurate assessment. And yes, that does make him hippie royalty.

thank you for confirming that. I hope to visit at some point!

also heard the Black Panthers used to be on the same block back in the 70s. So between them and the exiled Latin American marxists of La Pe??a, the CIA must have rented all the other houses on that street...