Record Labels that Draw You In But Always Dissapoint

2»

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You guys are tripping on some labels ... or need to dig deeper ... so much good shit on Spring: Joneses, Act 1, Winifield Parker, Street People, Flower Shoppe, Little Eva, Millie Jackson, Don Williams, Lou Jackson ...

• cookbook said:
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    Humanacat said:
    Definitely agree with Raer Earth, so much horn rock crap.

The Pretty Things
    XIT
    Power Of Zeus
    And the band Rare Earth has some jams.
    Toe Fat
    Lost Nation
    there's more

Rustix

Dennis Stoner

• cookbook said:
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    Humanacat said:

The Pretty Things
    XIT
    Power Of Zeus
    Toe Fat
    Lost Nation
    there's more

Rustix

Dennis Stoner
    The Crystal Mansion

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Campag_Record said:
    cookbook said:
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    Humanacat said:

The Pretty Things
    XIT
    Power Of Zeus
    Toe Fat
    Lost Nation
    there's more

Rustix

Dennis Stoner
    The Crystal Mansion

Are any of these seriously good albums? I've heard more than half and the only one I can actually say I'd keep in my collection is the SF Sorrow LP.

I just pulled the Power of Zeus and put it in my "to sell" pile.

Tell me why any of these albums mentioned are worthwhile, I dare you

• Campag_Record said:
    cookbook said:
    The_Non said:
    Horseleech said:
    Humanacat said:

The Pretty Things
    XIT
    Power Of Zeus
    Toe Fat
    Lost Nation
    there's more

Rustix

Dennis Stoner
    The Crystal Mansion

Are any of these seriously good albums? I've heard more than half and the only one I can actually say I'd keep in my collection is the SF Sorrow LP.

I just pulled the Power of Zeus and put it in my "to sell" pile.

Tell me why any of these albums mentioned are worthwhile, I dare you

I'd have to say neither are solid LP's but I do like 3 or 4 tracks on the Stoner and 1 or 2 on the Mansion. Lost Nation is a solid listen for me. SF Sorrow is by far the best LP of course.

• cosine on:
    -inner city
    -vanguard (the james moody and elvin jones lps are the best i have heard and they are mediocre at best)
    -ecm (with the exception of about 5 titles already mentioned... i think that dauner "output" is the grail, never seen that one).

i actually think pablo has some decent stuff despite the dreary cover art and utter commonness: al gaffa, the dizzy gillespie ones, freddie hubbard live at north sea, oscar peterson silent partner ost, and dom um roma spring to mind..

SOI: goign to start checking for those spring titles you mentioned. thanks for dropping some knowledge on that.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Guzzo said:
    the only one I can actually say I'd keep in my collection is the SF Sorrow LP.

Don't sleep on Parachute, I actually like it more than SF Sorrow.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    vanguard (the james moody and elvin jones lps are the best i have heard and they are mediocre at best).

common Crab

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    You guys are tripping on some labels ... or need to dig deeper ... so much good shit on Spring: Joneses, Act 1, Winifield Parker, Street People, Flower Shoppe, Little Eva, Millie Jackson, Don Williams, Lou Jackson ...

Is that the same Street People that is usually found on the Vigor label?

I agree, Spring is not a complete dud, there is heat to be found. Cosign on Winfield Parker! The amount is subjective I suppose.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

i actually think pablo has some decent stuff despite the dreary cover art and utter commonness: al gaffa, the dizzy gillespie ones, freddie hubbard live at north sea, oscar peterson silent partner ost, and dom um romao spring to mind..
    Yes! I've slept on Pablo for years on end. Real quality stuff in there. Slightly off topic but why are all Perception releases i buy always bad quality pressings? Bad luck?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i actually think pablo has some decent stuff despite the dreary cover art and utter commonness: al gaffa, the dizzy gillespie ones, freddie hubbard live at north sea, oscar peterson silent partner ost, and dom um roma spring to mind..

Not to mention John Coltrane and Jorge Ben.

This one is pretty worthwhile also:

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    What about Xanadoo? Like Pablo looks way too dreary so I've never bitten- anything good?

• I have a great solo Joe Pass LP on Pablo (Virtuoso #2) that I picked up on the cheap. Q-Tip even took a sample off the record.

Co-sign Buddah. I like some of the folk they put out and they put out some good stuff for Curtis Mayfield but for the most part

Also I got a burner off of Hot Wax once, so I kept picking up 45s hoping it would happen again... it didn't.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    crabmongerfunk said:

Not to mention John Coltrane and Jorge Ben.

This one is pretty worthwhile also:

this one's fantastic too

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Dissing Buddah is so 2002.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I usually find Mainstream quite disappointing. I have a handful of good ones (Hadley Caliman's are a personal fave), but you'd think some of the guys on the label (Harold Land, Roy Haynes) would deliver better stuff than they did.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    I have a great solo Joe Pass LP on Pablo (Virtuoso #2) that I picked up on the cheap. Q-Tip even took a sample off the record.

I was going to write a post defending Pablo in the same style as my post for ECM.

Pablo has many, perhaps dozens, of Joe Pass lps. They are all great, even the ones that have yet to be sampled.

I think there are one or two 'funky' Pablos that have not been mentioned, but that is not what the label is about.

Pablo had a rotating cast of musicians, like Ray Brown and Joe Pass plus they had all the great still living jazz musicians that no other label wanted record, like Ella, Duke, Dizzy.
    Most of the lps are different pairings of these musicians in chamber jazz like settings.
    All are worthy of a spin or three, to me.

• other good ecm lp's, especially if you consider JAPO part of it which it sort of wasn't:
    -steve kuhn and sheila jordan ones
    -mal waldron- the call
    -magog
    -children at play
    -enrico rava
    -dave liebman lookout farm
    -percussion profiles
    -bobby naughton units
    -evening of a georgia faun

as for mainstream, the best stuff is actually the psych records from the late 60's but despite the generally awful covers (those stanky, ragged headphones!!) there are plenty of great jazz titles on that red lion imprint...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    other good ecm lp's

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts