• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Have u any standards?

Do u even party?

I feel sorry for u if u party to that.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Who doesn't love Will and Jeff together, so fun. Also this record is shreds...

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Have u any standards?

Do u even party?

RLMAO

• There are a lot more G's on SoulStrut than I was aware of.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Cringe.

Rapping and jumping and dancing around in a three piece suit looks really uncomfortable.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    batmon said:
    ppadilha said:
    batmon said:
    Have u any standards?

Do u even party?

haha

The Fresh Prince was never a part of my childhood, in neither musical nor sitcom form. And I find anything with Will Smith in it to be cheesy by default.

I just find it funny that you seem so upset over this.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm kinda shocked. I honestly didn't think there were people who disliked Fresh Prince-era WiIl Smith and Jazzy Jeff. Dudes were just so fun and silly and harmless. You guys must've had a serious ass childhood.

Herm said:
    I'm kinda shocked. I honestly didn't think there were people who disliked Fresh Prince-era WiIl Smith and Jazzy Jeff. Dudes were just so fun and silly and harmless. You guys must've had a serious ass childhood.

Or we liked different things.

bassie said:
    Herm said:

That's totally not an issue. I don't get never liking something and then clicking on a thread of something I've never liked. Only to then take the time to write a post to let everyone know you don't like...

I'm pretty sure you do understand curiosity, interest, personal opinion, expression, conversation and engagement. All pretty good things to have on a public online forum, no?

DOR said:
    bassie said:
    Herm said:

That's totally not an issue. I don't get never liking something and then clicking on a thread of something I've never liked. Only to then take the time to write a post to let everyone know you don't like...

Trying to shit in our Cheerios...

Damn. The How Will This Impact Herm? Secret Club has been found out!

bassie said:
    Damn. The How Will This Impact Herm? Secret Club has been found out!

I knew you were there all along...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    staxwax said:

rehearsed spontaneity

This was my first thought.
    My second was 'why doesn't he give his kid more time on the mike?'.

As for the rest

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

Have u any standards?

Not sure what my "standards" have to do with this, but I'm a generally positive dude with a healthy appreciation for both high and lowbrow and an "it ain't that serious" / dirt-off-my-shoulders attitude towards anything that either irks me or just doesn't particularly strike my fancy. Plus I have a great penchant for nostalgia. That probably doesn't answer your question but...oh well.

How much for your Boogiemonsters Vinyl?

Ha!

That video is exactly why Kurdt Cobain shot himself in the brain.

Herm said:

Where is this thread is their a dis to Classic JJ+FP?

And dont get how dudes jump from discussing ONE performance getting critiqued to evaluating their entire career.
    Or dudes posting up a classic album in defense of a wack video.

And if you interpret my dislike as anger than thats really on you.

batmon said:
    Herm said:

Where is this thread is their a dis to Classic JJ+FP?

And dont get how dudes jump from discussing ONE performance getting critiqued to evaluating their entire career.
    Or dudes posting up a classic album in defense of a wack video.

And if you interpret my dislike as anger than thats really on you.

Always found Fresh Prince to be wack. Will Smith has always been a corny dude.

+

This all kind of reminds me of the days when it was standard practice to resent Fresh Prince for being the only rapper who was ever nominated for/won a Grammy.

+
    And I find anything with Will Smith in it to be cheesy by default.

=

I'm kinda shocked. I honestly didn't think there were people who disliked Fresh Prince-era WiIl Smith and Jazzy Jeff. Dudes were just so fun and silly and harmless.

You should probably fix your scroll and/or 'page back' button. If only to save me the few minutes it takes me to copy and paste. Thanks in advance!

Herm leads the world in shocks.

Herm said:
    batmon said:
    Herm said:

Where is this thread is their a dis to Classic JJ+FP?.
    Always found Fresh Prince to be wack. Will Smith has always been a corny dude.
    +
    This all kind of reminds me of the days when it was standard practice to resent Fresh Prince for being the only rapper who was ever nominated for/won a Grammy.
    +
    And I find anything with Will Smith in it to be cheesy by default.
    =
    I'm kinda shocked. I honestly didn't think there were people who disliked Fresh Prince-era WiIl Smith and Jazzy Jeff. Dudes were just so fun and silly and harmless.
    You should probably fix your scroll and/or 'page back' button. If only to save me the few minutes it takes me to copy and paste. Thanks in advance!

You got me there.

Brand New Funk is far from corny.
    Ill put Fresh Prince right up there w/ the best storytellers of his class (Ricky-D & Kool G.) despite some of his subject matter.

Not saying this to disagree, but I think his subject matter is one of the reasons he stood out. He offered something different to the kids who liked Hip Hop but maybe weren't too familiar with street life (whether they lacked first hand experience or just hadn't learned enough about it via rap).

I can tell you exactly where I was when I heard "Parents Just Don't Understand" and I remember my mom getting mad at me when I was like "He speaks the truth, Ma!" (She had no idea that that was the only rap song I felt comfortable sharing with her.)

I honestly feel that my taste in Hip Hop is why I am the way I am these days. I was only a close-minded backpacker during the Puffy Shiny Suit Era. Before that though, I was equally appreciative of Fresh Prince and Kwame as I was for NWA and freakin' Insane Poetry.

Parents is fine with me but I think I Can Beat Mike Tyson is my cut-off point.

It got too cartoony for me for a guy that had his foot in the old school type of presentation.

The TV show is whole nother animal.

Girls Aint Nuttin But Trouble was the shit, but it seemed like it wasnt trying to placate to Pop.
    Shit changed.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    My girl showed me this and I got a kick out of it. If you never liked FP & JJ then of course you didn't like it. If you only like JJ and not FP then you should have at least enjoyed JJ's part. Funny enough the wost part was the son rapping "Hello" in some Martix get up. I'm assuming Will Smith had something else before or after, otherwise Bassie is right the the 3 piece suit seems like a bad choice for a performance. But it's his comfort so he can do what he wants. It's a talk show run by a fun loving gay guy who knows what is entertaining, so I thought it was pretty enjoyable for people that grew up with the show as part of their life.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Herm said:

Just so we're all on the same page, the above wasn't meant as a dis of FP/WS. I never had a problem with him being first through the door, only with the value system of the doormen.

DocMcCoy said:
    Herm said:

Just so we're all on the same page, the above wasn't meant as a dis of FP/WS. I never had a problem with him being first through the door, only with the value system of the doormen.

Oh, I know. Just quoted you to clarify what I had said.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Herm said:

FP was signed by Paul Oakenfold. Harbinger of teh wackness.
    Didn't Quincy Jones put Will Smith on in Hollywood? You know he didn't 'break the oath' like tupac.

Hard earned grammies and 90's cornstalgia be damned, I have no need to witness Jaden Smiths slickly lubricated passage into whatever full blown closeted scientology media persona he's been predestined to assume.

But but but but - he's a great rapper/actor/dancer/dresser.

:walk_away_son:

Jspr said:

I have this full video somewhere.

BDP, Skinny Boys, Kool Moe Dee, Steady B and the Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince. And some interviews with Schoolly D and others.

• Is nothing sacred?
    You guys gonna rip on Kid and Play now?

Satchelmouth said:
    Is nothing sacred?
    You guys gonna rip on Vanilla Ice now?