Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince and...

DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
Watch all the way through. Awesome.

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    damn...that was ill and not what I had expected..

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Graham Norton is probably my favorite talk show.

That was pretty great!

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    really glad to see they didn't forget the :icegrill: during apache

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    I always seem to think of him nowadays as 'Will Smith actor' and tend to forget he came up in hip hop's golden age. That line 'yo holmes smell you later' just reminds me of this clip I saw the other day. I laughed anyway...

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    DOOOOOOOOPE!!!

Just watched... Pretty good eps.

Will Smith, Jaden, Jazzy Jeff and Alfonso Ribeiro
    Bradley Cooper and Heather Graham
    Michael Douglas
    and Selena Gomez.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    WACK

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    batmon said:
    WACK

Yup.

Always found Fresh Prince to be wack. Will Smith has always been a corny dude.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    DJBombjack said:
    Watch all the way through. Awesome.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    batmon said:
    WACK

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Herm said:
    DOOOOOOOOPE!!!

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Herm said:
    DOOOOOOOOPE!!!

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    I've never understood the hate this guy generates. He's always been doing his thing at the pop end of the hip-hop spectrum and he's stayed true to it. Sure, I'm not actively seeking out his back catalogue or scrambling to catch his latest flicks but the Graham Norton clip above was great. There's a certain amount of cheesiness with 'Carlton' in the mix but as late night talk show schtick goes it was pretty entertaining. It's awhile since I've seen beatboxing/deejaying on peak time tv so that was refreshing. In a perfect world they'd be dragging Kane and G. Rap out to bust their infamous version of Raw:) To each their own I guess...

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    THAT... WAS... DOPE

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    That was a beautiful father-son moment makes me a little misty-eyed

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Heather Graham looks like she doesn't get out much.

i dont hatt will and them at all. his best shit stands test of time. but this rehash of his tv show version of his game is some bullshit.
    im not givin a pass for some tom jones featuring jazzy jeff and carlton crap made for my mother to say how much she prefers happy hip hop.

show some turntatables and kids dick gets hard.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    batmon said:
    WACK

Cringe inducing rehearsed spontaneity for teh squares.

batmon said:
    i dont hatt will and them at all. his best shit stands test of time. but this rehash of his tv show version of his game is some bullshit.
    im not givin a pass for some tom jones featuring jazzy jeff and carlton crap made for my mother to say how much she prefers happy hip hop.

Who shit in your Cheerios?! Lighten up, cupcake. Ain't nothing wrong with reminiscing.

Herm said:
    batmon said:

Who shit in your Cheerios?! Lighten up, cupcake. Ain't nothing wrong with reminiscing.

Have u any standards?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    batmon said:
    Herm said:
    batmon said:

Have u any standards?

What are you expecting from the Graham Norton show?

batmon said:

Have u any standards?

Not sure what my "standards" have to do with this, but I'm a generally positive dude with a healthy appreciation for both high and lowbrow and an "it ain't that serious" / dirt-off-my-shoulders attitude towards anything that either irks me or just doesn't particularly strike my fancy. Plus I have a great penchant for nostalgia. That probably doesn't answer your question but...oh well.

Herm said:
    batmon said:

Have u any standards?

Not sure what my "standards" have to do with this, but I'm a generally positive dude with a healthy appreciation for both high and lowbrow and an "it ain't that serious" / dirt-off-my-shoulders attitude towards anything that either irks me or just doesn't particularly strike my fancy. Plus I have a great penchant for nostalgia. That probably doesn't answer your question but...oh well.

How much for your Boogiemonsters Vinyl?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This all kind of reminds me of the days when it was standard practice to resent Fresh Prince for being the only rapper who was ever nominated for/won a Grammy. I take batmon's general point and all, but c'mon now, Will Smith has always been the family favourite. Capping on him for serving up a toothless, easily digestible version of The Art Form on a late night talk show is like kicking puppies. If he wants to take some time to remind people that he used to be a pretty decent rapper once upon a time, I don't see an awful lot wrong with that.

DocMcCoy said:
    This all kind of reminds me of the days when it was standard practice to resent Fresh Prince for being the only rapper who was ever nominated for/won a Grammy. I take batmon's general point and all, but c'mon now, Will Smith has always been the family favourite. Capping on him for serving up a toothless, easily digestible version of The Art Form on a late night talk show is like kicking puppies. If he wants to take some time to remind people that he used to be a pretty decent rapper once upon a time, I don't see an awful lot wrong with that.

There is nothin wrong w/ him reminding folks as long as its done well.
    Would u call this dope?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Would u call this dope?

I didn't think it was bad, but he's never had pretensions towards being any sort of true-school torchbearer, so it's difficult for me to feel all that strongly about it. After seeing it reposted in my FB feed over the last couple of days, when I finally got around to watching it I was expecting something that was, if not verifiably dope, then perhaps a little better and lot less cheesy than it actually was. If he'd done that routine on, say, VH1's Hip Hop Honors, I could understand all the salt a little more. On a white-bread network talk show, maybe not so much.

I'm not sure why people are dwelling on the rapping. This was more a throwback to the TV show than anything else. Which is still very much loved to this day. Watch many international interviews with Will and it usually leads into talking about the show (Because that's how many people around the world really know Will Smith. From Bell-Air first, then movie star and then once was a rapper), if not breaking into that song. Working at a University, I come across kids watching that show to this day.

Watching that clip didn't take me to the days of Live at Union Square and hoping for Ready Rock C reunion. It made me remissness on Prince of Bell-Air. Which probably still sells quite well with box sets and downloads around the world. Hence why it's still used all the time in interviews.

batmon said:

Would u call this dope?

Who shit in your Cheerios?!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    batmon said:
    Have u any standards?

Do u even party?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Capping on him for serving up a toothless, easily digestible version of The Art Form on a late night talk show is like kicking puppies..

I can see why you write for a living. But, I did watch the clip expecting a good musical performance and I was left confused and grumpy. Then later on I was thinking about it and came up w/ an interpretation that DOR has already articulated, and my mood lightened.