May Finds

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    deleted

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Now those are orchids!

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Highlights of the keepers from the last couple of weeks:

Anyone know anything about the Hokoyo ^^^^ LP? Sounds great to my ears but there's nothing on popsyke or ceefrenzy. Is it just super common?

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    Some of the better recent grabs. Mostly thrift/junk shops and estates sales, with a few from a shop as well.

Two Hank Levy/Towson State Jazz Ensembles, the MMO one is the complete version, no instruments minus-ed

Dialogue - S/T on cold studio, private folk (light)psych outta PA I believe, definitely has its moments

Bob Israel Would Like You To Hear His Music, actually not a new grab but it was in the recent listening stack. Got this about a year ago at a goodwill, very cool library-esque private release. I am sure people here know about it, but I couldn't find any info on it and was curious what some of you might have to say about it.

Loose Joints - Is It All Over My Face, very clean in an original west end sleeve. While I dabble into some disco, this isn't really my thing so I could be into trading it if anybody is interested.

Both Gang Starr's are originals from a shop, 6 and 10 dollars respectively. Syked on that! Now if they would just put out Daily Operation...

Strong City sleeve is the Jazzy Jay Live Sampler EP, cheap junk shop score. Great condition, especially loving the Raheem/Diamond track. Is the full length album worth sniffing out?

I stopped at a antique/junk building on my way home from work yesterday, and although there were only a few chud pieces available for wax, the woman told me about a reel to reel she had at her house up the road. Went up to check it and grabbed it for 20 bucks. Still in the original Teac box with postmark from japan, her guess was that somebody was in the military at the time and shipped this back home to the family. Looks like it hasn't been used, although there is no power cord. I'm gonna take it up to the stereo shop I know and see what he says about it.

EDIT cause I forgot to add my one recent eBay purchase.

Solid BIN for a supposedly mint copy, but now that it's here it's clearly not mint, strong VG at best (light scuffs cause some substantial background noise right of the bat, and even worse the grooves are pretty worn, so you get all that blown out high end BS). Dude included a note about how this business is his main source of income and how he wants you to give him a perfect rating, so if there is an issue to message him and he'll do his best to rectify the situation. Over-grading things with a great price so it moves fast, then refunding some cash to those that complain. Kinda weak but we'll see what he refunds, really wanted a copy of this.

Attached files

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
     photo WP_000766_zps8a9528f5.jpg

photo WP_000748_zps3da40bab.jpg

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

some cheap 45s from the local Holiday Inn crustfest today.
    nice 15 mile round trip bike ride on a sunny sunday morning, with records as an incentive.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Feldman said:

The belts TEAC used in those things turn to mush over time. used or not. before plugging it in, i'd open it up to see if they are still together. they literally turn to goo, and it can get all over the inside if you're not careful.

• FeldmanFeldman 50 Posts
    thanks for the heads up!!! i'm plannin on taking it to a spot tomorrow, hopefully I can get it working
    couple more finds from the last few days

Rotary Connection is the UK chess pressing

Second down on the right is a Kit Andree on Hoctor. Wasn't that impressed with the first listen, gotta give it another spin though.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    It has stereo mic inputs. You can use it to amp a
    Mic and room mic and run them through tape into whatever interface you use. Cool effect for vocals or horns.

• SoulOnIce said:

some cheap 45s from the local Holiday Inn crustfest today.
    nice 15 mile round trip bike ride on a sunny sunday morning, with records as an incentive.
    How's that Cotique 45? Haven't heard that one before.

My find of the weekend.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's pretty cool, not Latin but a Connecticut garage band ... I think a white band with black vocalist. Ultimately the tracks aren't all that great, kinda soul pop but I did like one side enough to buy it.

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    Jeff,
    Nice pull on the nannette.
    Did you find that in portland?

TDR

• MiddleDean said:
    Jeff,
    Nice pull on the nannette.
    Did you find that in portland?

TDR
    Thanks Tim! Yep, at the Beaverton EM.

Here are today's cheap pickings. Contrasts is an UK Pye pressing, Joyce is a first press, and the classical record is a supposed Warhol cover.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    roadtripped thru south on way to NOLA and stopped occasionally along the way down and back...carolina,alabama,mississippi finds (as well as nola area of course)
    here are some highlights from close to a full crate. $5 and under (acklin was $7)

12 is the promo of jazzy jay back to the lab

damn, this thread is crickets. i tried hard folks, digging for a week in hopes of even a whisper of interest on the strut. gonnnnnng

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    nice pull on the professionals dude
    any 45's?
    how has philly been for digging?

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    It ain't easy being a record geek these days... I hear you.

The first time I heard that Barbara Acklin I freaked, so good. Worth the xtra 2$ : )

kala said:
    nice pull on the professionals dude
    any 45's?
    how has philly been for digging?

45s seem really hit in Nola. Also I was there after jazz fest so low hanging fruit at the stores got scooped. My diggers on the street down there say 7s are tough going in the post storm years. Still, I held a copy of garden of four trees in my hand that I am going to try to buy off my buddy

Philly is always good! The dealers and stores keep turning things up and the plebeians like myself still manage to come up semi regularly. I walked into a record show at a hip bowlin alley last month at noon. Within five minutes found a recreation of the gods jn the dollar bins

Loop...I've actually never had or heard that barb acklin, but needle dropping for a quick minute revealed how crazy good it is

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    here are some highlights from close to a full crate. $5 and under (acklin was $7)

I've wanted that Natural High for a while simply for its Wall of Fame rep. is it any good?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Nice finds Tony.
    Surprised to see a Barbra Aklin that was not familiar. I must have had it some point, but maybe not.
    Keep on Stepping.

These are from last Saturday's KZME Record Sale. For Portlanders who missed it, you are not alone, Thom and me, Dee Rock and one or 2 other people showed up.

Grafitti and KZME 008

Grafitti and KZME 007

Grafitti and KZME 006
    Rico I got a few weeks ago. Underrated (IMO) oddball Blue Note release.

Grafitti and KZME 005
    Ferlinghetti is rare deep groove black vinyl version.

Grafitti and KZME 004
    Larry Johnson is my favorite finger style guitarist and I am hoping this record compares with the Blue Goose release and doesn't suck like the Prestige Larry and Hank record.

Grafitti and KZME 003
    None of these came cheap, but a few like Conjunto Africa are winners.

what type of music is the rico?
    any known players on it? what year?
    doestn look like a bluenote cover at all

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

mailbox find

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    what type of music is the rico?
    any known players on it? what year?
    doestn look like a bluenote cover at all

Rico was the trombone player who lead the horn section for the Specials.
    The music is instrumental reggae.

Guzzo said:

I've wanted that Natural High for a while simply for its Wall of Fame rep. is it any good?

guzz,im not the biggest modern soul listener, but the second side is very strong. heres two of the nicer cuts. plus the album starts out with a very bambaataaesque bboy break. all in all, probably essential if you like modern soul but not worth dropping serious dough if you prefer earlier eras of soul.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Two Linda Yamamoto e-digs

"Koi No Ban Ban"

"Love Chain"

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    spent a couple days in S??o Paulo, picked these up:

O Cafona - novela soundtrack, I like Lucia Esparadrapo
    Gal Costa - Gal (1969) - cover is beat up so the price was decent
    Fernando Mendes - A Desconhecida - has this one good song

plus some 7"s - I tried to link to as many of the songs as possible:

Impacto - Jeito Todo Seu /Sou Voc??
    Kris - Cristina - Uma Rosa Com Amor/ Lero Lero
    Zequinha e Marival - Pra dan??ar o carimb??/Mungunz??
    Georgette da Mocidade - Festa de Santana/Praga de urubu

Geraldo Nunes e as Meninas - Milonga da Menina/Quem Pode Pode
    Ronaldo Mata - Canto Nag??/Sempre
    Milton Nascimento - Cad??/Sacramento and Pablo
    Simone - De frente pro crime/Fantasia

Giovane - Briga no forr??/A pamonha
    Ataulfo Junior - Canto de amor/O samba seguinte
    Ulysses Lucas - Pedro Baiano/Morena Faceira
    Sergio de Alencar - Valks Verde/Eu n??o quero

Eva - E agora/Perigo
    Marinella - Diz que tem/Filosofo de botequim
    Super Erotica vol 2 - moaning girl funk stuff from Os Carbonos
    Nerino Silva - Degraus da vida/Vai pro lado de l??

Tarantulas - Mel?? do aplauso (rap-o clap-o)/D.I.S.C.O.
    Hermes - Flash/Lais - Sala de espera
    Edson Concei????o - Batata doce, colar de contas e patu??/Temporal
    Hermes Aquino - Eu quero ser teu rei/Bola louca e colorida

AND A BIG UP TO MOOGMAN FOR TAKING ME TO HIS FAVORITE DIGGING SPOT AND BEING AN ALL AROUND COOL DUDE.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    AND A BIG UP TO MOOGMAN FOR TAKING ME TO HIS FAVORITE DIGGING SPOT AND BEING AN ALL AROUND COOL DUDE.

I'm glad you could find some good stuff on that place, Paulo.
    It was really nice to meet you here.

Peace