first of installment of post your faves by genre

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
ok, I am bored..so I thought we could have a weekly post of pics from your collection of fave LPs by genre...I thought jazz funk would be a good one to start off with. Next week another type of music. so post your jazzfunk favorites!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    why is every copy of "sweetback" so ring worn? Every one I've ever seen looks like that! weird, huh?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    why is every copy of "sweetback" so ring worn? Every one I've ever seen looks like that! weird, huh?

the Ubiquity dude auctioned his off a while ago and his was pristine...but that is the only one I have seen not ring-worn, then again, I have only seen mine and one other.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

the Ubiquity dude auctioned his off a while ago and his was pristine...but that is the only one I have seen not ring-worn, then again, I have only seen mine and one other.

right, not like I've seen a bunch. but maybe like two others, but they looked like yours do...

• you're so lucky I'm waiting for a memory card for my digital camera......

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

listening to it right now!

listening to it right now!
    My list are truly my faves, but I also threw them in as a list of foundational material for any jazz funk enthusiast.

for an obscure one, one I just picked up on reissue, real nice library jazz funk:

Pickles

mine are my favs also, not just flossin raers...I just got the roy but I have listened to it SO much since I got it, it instantly became a favorite..so fuggin good. George's "The Bump" is my fav jazz funk tune of all time...so far out. I got one of the ubiquity comps 5 or 6 years ago with "Sweetback" on it and I wore that thing out...his solo on there is so perfect. The Jimmy McGriff might be the only interchangable one on there...maybe with the Charles Kynard s/t on mainsteam...but whatta cover!

that library looks cool, what year is it from?

mine are my favs also, not just flossin raers...I just got the roy but I have listened to it SO much since I got it, it instantly became a favorite..so fuggin good. George's "The Bump" is my fav jazz funk tune of all time...so far out. I got one of the ubiquity comps 5 or 6 years ago with "Sweetback" on it and I wore that thing out...his solo on there is so perfect. The Jimmy McGriff might be the only interchangable one on there...maybe with the Charles Kynard s/t on mainsteam...but whatta cover!

that library looks cool, what year is it from?

I think 1970
    the reissue is from 1999 - totally different(and much plainer)sleeve.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that you were flossin'(not that there's anything WRONG with that) either,that Roy Meriwether sounds like a honey! Nice score.

No can we get some other strutters to chime in? Surely these are not the be-all-end-all!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• Charles Earland "III"
    that crybaby-organ solo on "Girl You Need a Change of Mind" is a real face-melter.

Marc Moulin "Aria" / "Humpty Dumpty" / "Balek"
    Kool & The Gang "NT" / "Chocolate Buttermilk" / "Give it Up"
    Ramsey Lewis "Back in the USSR" / "Mighty Quinn"

and how can we forget:

"Nautilus" / "Take Me to the Mardi Gras"

m

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    LOU DONALDSON: HOT DOG (one of my all-time favorites...)

JIMMY MCGRIFF: SOUL SUGAR

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    A lot of these are 2 trackers, especially the Ethiopian Knights haha. But badness nonetheless IMO.

1967 might be a bit early but Where It's At is funky as hell.

Na ta ka

underrated?? title track is hip hop brainfreeze.

Dizzy - Ozone Madness & Mancini - Barettas Theme

This is pure niceness from top to bottom. Talk about your Monk Higgins productions, this may be my favorite of his.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Can't believe no one posted this one yet:

Completely unf**kwitable from beginning to end.

• pknypkny 549 Posts

This is pure niceness from top to bottom. Talk about your Monk Higgins productions, this may be my favorite of his.

I got this one laying around the house, but never gave it a proper listen. I'll have to bust it out tonight.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i mean honestly..

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i mean honestly..

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    what the hell

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    man what is that? thats rad!

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    what the hell

I found that one the other day.

Fetches for a good $300 with Blue Note collectors.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    what the hell

That's worth a cover story or twelve.

• what the hell

I found that one the other day.

Fetches for a good $300 with Blue Note collectors.

Yours have the "smudge" mis-print??

i mean honestly..

word. I had a rinked-beyond-hope 45 of "Obligehtto" forever...finally got this LP in a trade recently...better than I imagined, so good.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Can I get that Gary Bartz off you?

Can I get that Gary Bartz off you?

No, but that other LP you wanted is available again. PM me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    A couple of these have been posted already, but these are my favorites:

You're confusing "jazzfunk" with "spiritual jazzfunk".

Ask Bizzo.

You're confusing "jazzfunk" with "
    spiritual jazzfunk".

Ask Bizzo.

My bad. I meant this is my favorite jazzfunk LP:

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts