CAMP TIL YOU CANT (aka your favorite camp/cabin vacation spots?)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
Hello,

Camping and cabin season has started, and since we have Strutters from all over, I'd really like to learn about some nice outdoorsy destinations (lakes, hikes, forests etc) you guys love.

My favorite places in California are

1. Sequoia National Park

2. Big Sur

3. Lake Siskyou

in a few days, i'll be visiting Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and would love any recommendations for hikes and whatnot if anyone is familiar with the area.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Great thread.

I'm doing Steep Ravine in a couple weeks. It's mindblowing how close it is to SF and yet how sick of a spot.

Some great spots that are also close to SF are Butano State Park, Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Samuel P. Taylor, Half Moon Bay State Beach...

Further north up the coast are some great spots: Humboldt Lagoons, Patrick's Point, Redwood Nat'l Park, Six Rivers, Jedediah Smith.

And then there's Yosemite, quite possibly the most beautiful place on the planet. Just did a week out there last month. Glacier Point and Tioga Pass roads were not yet open, but the Valley was nearly empty (which is rare).

And that's just CA....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    California-wise:
    1. Point Reyes.
    2. Big Basin.
    3. Standish-Hickey.

Texas-wise:
    1. Padre Island.
    2. Pedernales Falls.
    3. Enchanted Rock.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    For my upper midwest heads:
    Apostle Islands - Bayfield WI (South shore of Lake Superior)

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

And then there's Yosemite, quite possibly the most beautiful place on the planet. Just did a week out there last month. Glacier Point and Tioga Pass roads were not yet open, but the Valley was nearly empty (which is rare).

I have lived in Oakland since 1998. I went to Yosemite for the very first time last month.

That is some shameful shit. But better late than never.

• The Flume in NH

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    edith head said:

in a few days, i'll be visiting Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and would love any recommendations for hikes and whatnot if anyone is familiar with the area.

Do Nymph, Dream, Emerald Lake.... It's the most incredible hike I've ever been on. Go early for photo ops.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Van Damme Beach State Park would be a fine place to camp before going to the Mendocino Coast Botanical Garden.

No foraging for wood allowed on site, so walk to the near-by beach and just collect some driftwood.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    Red River Gorge, east central Kentucky

• I'm going to Rocky Mountain National Park and Roosevelt National park with some old friends in 4 weeks, cant wait!

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Emigrant Wilderness just north of Yosemite. I go backpacking there every summer since 2005. It's off 108. Enter through Kennedy Meadows. Fishing there is so easy it's ridiculous. You can practically grab them out of the water in the right spots.

Will be staying in a cabin on Lake LBJ tonight...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    this is my favorite place in the world: Alter do Ch??o. Just a narrow strip of sand in the middle of the Amazon, but quite easy to get to - there's a big city with an airport only 30 mins away. On one side you have the Tapaj??s River at its widest point, just a massive body of water where you can chill and watch the fresh water dolphins jump around at sunset, and on the other side there's a big lake with lots of nooks to explore. My brother just built a house there, I'm hoping to make visits there a regular thing from now on.

Near S??o Paulo there's Praia da Fazenda, a little nature preserve with a nice campsite, something pretty rare in Brazil. You can hike out to other nicer beaches nearby:

and there's this canyon near where I live now that I've been meaning to visit, next to a town called Cambar?? do Sul. Most of the locals here don't know about it, despite the fact that you kind of drive past it on the way to the worst beach in the universe where everyone spends their summer.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    all the WA Cascades is pretty rad for me, from the car camping to the light overnight backpacking to the multi-day shit. Super cool.

I've been going more east the past couple of summers. More pine trees and hotter. But the whole range is rad.

The coast is cool too. And sleeping in my tent in the San Juans, with mellow bike ride days?--unfuckwittable.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Great thread.

I'm doing Steep Ravine in a couple weeks. It's mindblowing how close it is to SF and yet how sick of a spot.

Some great spots that are also close to SF are Butano State Park, Point Reyes Nat'l Seashore, Samuel P. Taylor, Half Moon Bay State Beach....

Nice. I'm going to camp at Butano SP late summer/early fall for the first time.

Some really good suggestions here.

My want list is as follows

Antelope Canyon in AZ

Zion National Park in Utah

Devil's Tower in Wyoming

Denali in Alaska

Yep, Butano is awesome as well.

One time while camping in Santa Cruz, my girl and I had a birds-eye view of this dude at another site trying to stoke his campfire by pouring gas onto it. The flame shot from the campfire right up into the gas can. He dropped it in a quick second, then tried to put the can-fire out by kicking it, which only spread the fire all over his campsite. After jumping around for a minute or so in a wild panic, dude eventually caught his snap and grabbed some blankets to suffocate the various fires he had created. We nearly had to be hospitalized from laughter.