New York City (Visit R)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
Dear NYC strutters,

I'll be in the city for a week staying on the LE in Manhattan...besides the obvious visit to the records stores mentioned in the city guide, any further recommendations regarding fresh clothing/kicks stores, strutters' club nights, or things to do in the next week are highly appreciated! Can't wait to be back...thanks in advance, guys!

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I think the city guide is a bit outdated re: record shops. There was some discussion about that in this thread:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75174/

don't know about specific events, but if you're in the LES I like Nublu for live music.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I ran up in JR Music World yesterday to cop the OG Sparkle on Bluray & The Six Million Dollar Man Season 3 on DVD.

JR Music World used to have that entire block. They gave that shit up and have condensed their shit into 1 building.

I didnt make it to the music section, but the movie area is now half the size it used to be. End of an era.

• Definitely try to get to NUBLU, especially for their Weds. night Brazilian parties. Down the street is one of the best burgers in the city too, at Royale. Apparently they get their meat from the oldest meat purveyor in the meatpacking district, ground fresh and delivered daily. The third thing on Ave. C, is Zum Schnieder, a great German beer bar.

In the LES, south of Delancey, Alias is great for a nice meal at a reasonable price. Clinton St. Baking Co. is among the best brunch spots in the neighborhood. Kosar's for bagels and the Donut Plant next door is great too. 169 Bar has go-go dancers, cheap beer, a deadly bloody mary, and potstickers till 4AM.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    For BBQ, Mighty Quinn's on the corner of 2nd Ave/6th St is great and very reasonable. I just had this earlier and it was under $10:

Single serving of Brisket (which had to be at least 1/2lb) with slaw and pickled vegs.

Also, Fonda on Ave B/2nd St is amazing high-end Mexican. Get a snifter of the Jose Cuervo Extra Anejo, shit's unreal.

http://www.fondarestaurant.com/manhattan/

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    Definitely try to get to NUBLU, especially for their Weds. night Brazilian parties. Down the street is one of the best burgers in the city too, at Royale. Apparently they get their meat from the oldest meat purveyor in the meatpacking district, ground fresh and delivered daily. The third thing on Ave. C, is Zum Schnieder, a great German beer bar.

In the LES, south of Delancey, Alias is great for a nice meal at a reasonable price. Clinton St. Baking Co. is among the best brunch spots in the neighborhood. Kosar's for bagels and the Donut Plant next door is great too. 169 Bar has go-go dancers, cheap beer, a deadly bloody mary, and potstickers till 4AM.

if you go to the wednesday brazilian you might want to hit Esperanto for dinner beforehand. it's just a few blocks away from nublu & has delicious brazilian food & drinks.

there's also East Village Thai on E. 7th between 1st and 2nd ave, my favorite Thai place in NYC. It's tiny (only 3 tables, byob) but the food is great. Best panang curry I've ever had.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    For Thai, I can also strongly recommend Zabb Elee, on 2nd Ave btwn 4th and 5th.

Cosign Mighty Quinn's.... right around the corner from my shop so I have had the opportunity to test the consistency. Shit is the truth (at least, for downtown NYC)

The pizza situation has deteriorated IMO, there's South Brooklyn on 1st Ave but at $4/slice I feel like they fell off. Last few visits have been less that stellar, and for that price I expect greatness. My favorite slice is uptown at Patsy's, east 117th/1st Ave. Old school as hell, amazing slice for $1.75. However it is near absolutely nothing unless you are planning a trip to Spanish Harlem (it's not even close to other [central] Harlem attractions). Joe's at Bleecker/6th Ave is still a good choice.

I'm pretty out of the loop for hip happenings but my favorite shit to do is walk the city, and you've got the perfect weather for it. Pick a borough, part of town, whatever. Hard to go wrong as the city is truly not that big and public transportation goes almost everywhere.

Also, my shop does not suck

• OptimusLimeOptimusLime 227 Posts
    Hey, I was just there and by far my fav restaurant was Miss Lilly's. Nice food, good atmosphere, super-hot waitresses, and the table we were sitting was a big record. Really nice.

I'd otherwise sugges Momofufu for the MAD porkbuns.

Recordwise my favs were Co-Op 87, Academy Annex in Williamsburg.
    Good records did indeed not suck. Be sure to check for any flea markets as well. The brooklyn flea was pretty fun. No records, but the best donut I ever had

Queens

Queens

I like the Noguchi Museum up in LIC, plus you got the Socrates Sculpture Park nearby for some art of the WTF-variety.

And there's always Flushing for some serious chinese food. I remember one place from Flushing opened a take-out spot on St Marks Place, don't know the name though. I went once with a friend, got something they called a lamb burger which wasn't really a burger but was amazing, then got another thing called "lamb face salad" which we thought was one of those chinese mistranslations but was actually a pretty accurate description of the dish.

Tortilleria Nixtamal in Corona is some of the best Mexican food I've ever had

My favorite slice is uptown at Patsy's, east 117th/1st Ave. Old school as hell, amazing slice for $1.75. However it is near absolutely nothing unless you are planning a trip to Spanish Harlem (it's not even close to other [central] Harlem attractions).

I just came from the East River Target/Plaza whatever, this morning. That area all the way over is kinda nice and quiet for Harlem.

Pleasant Ave/ Pleasant Village but yeah, aint much over there.

the area from 114th to 120th Streets on Pleasant Avenue and west to First Avenue. The neighborhood in turn takes its name from Pleasant Avenue, aptly dubbed for its idyllic location on the coast, a century before construction of the East Side highway.

The Best Buy in that mall is now gone.

Dubble

damn I was there yesterday and didn't even notice the Best Buy being gone. They were on some constant never having what I need shit though.

I do like Pleasant Ave and the history of the area is interesting.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    I got my R&B party NO DIGGITY every other week at Fat Buddha in the East Village. They got good buns, too. Hit me with your email address and I can add you to my weekly emailer.

empanadamn said:
    I got my R&B party NO DIGGITY every other week at Fat Buddha in the East Village. They got good buns, too. Hit me with your email address and I can add you to my weekly emailer.

What era of R&B???

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    damn I was there yesterday and didn't even notice the Best Buy being gone. They were on some constant never having what I need shit though.

There's a BBQ spot on 116th around 2nd ave that ive walked by a couple of times. Im curious to check it.
    There's alot of Mexican joints around there. But i never in all my years ever had drinks or hit a small club or bar around there.

I like the under-exposed areas in Manhattan.

batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

There's a BBQ spot on 116th around 2nd ave that ive walked by a couple of times. Im curious to check it.
    There's alot of Mexican joints around there. But i never in all my years ever had drinks or hit a small club or bar around there.

I too have always wondered about that BBQ joint. I usually just go over to Dinosaur on 125/WSH

I've eaten at a number of mex jernts on 116 - El Paso is good for more upscale, sit-down type of vibe, there's a place called El Aguila on 116/Lex that I've seen written up but I went there and found it to be sub-mediocre. There's a couple trucks between Lex/3rd that are good.

Joy Burger is pretty damn tasty. 101st/Lex iirc. East side is kind of sad compared to all the dandy new shit over on 8th ave

sorry for the derailment

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I too have always wondered about that BBQ joint. I usually just go over to Dinosaur on 125/WSH

I've eaten at a number of mex jernts on 116 - El Paso is good for more upscale, sit-down type of vibe, there's a place called El Aguila on 116/Lex that I've seen written up but I went there and found it to be sub-mediocre. There's a couple trucks between Lex/3rd that are good.

Joy Burger is pretty damn tasty. 101st/Lex iirc. East side is kind of sad compared to all the dandy new shit over on 8th ave

sorry for the derailment

I walked by some shiny spot called Prime One or some shit like that. Its on the corner w/ yellow paint and stuff.
    Regular "yuppie" bar? Prime beef/rib?

the BBQ joint? I'm talmbout

Jonny_Paycheck said:

yeah....but my only shit is the more modern BBQ spots have a backyard or a clear area for smoke.
    this place seems squashed in on some regular tenement steez.
    they were flying the Knicks flag so i bet they have sports tvs and buffalo wings and beer and shit. Regular.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Queens

I like the Noguchi Museum up in LIC, plus you got the Socrates Sculpture Park nearby for some art of the WTF-variety.

And there's always Flushing for some serious chinese food. I remember one place from Flushing opened a take-out spot on St Marks Place, don't know the name though. I went once with a friend, got something they called a lamb burger which wasn't really a burger but was amazing, then got another thing called "lamb face salad" which we thought was one of those chinese mistranslations but was actually a pretty accurate description of the dish.

Xi'an Famous Foods. there's one down in Chinatown too, on Bayard i think. and i believe they opened 1 in williamsburg/bushwick too?

original's in the golden mall in flushing. so good....

batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

yeah....but my only shit is the more modern BBQ spots have a backyard or a clear area for smoke.
    they were flying the Knicks flag so i bet they have sports tvs and buffalo wings and beer and shit. Regular.

#basic

haha

I've seen them with the smoker out front.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    ppadilha said:
    Queens

Xi'an Famous Foods. there's one down in Chinatown too, on Bayard i think. and i believe they opened 1 in williamsburg/bushwick too?

original's in the golden mall in flushing. so good....

I've only been to the St Mark's one and I find it to be seriously over-hyped. I mean, it's ok, but it's way too oily and they hardly use any vegetables in any of the dishes.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i havent had any good chinese food since i moved here and am still not used to white people working in asian joints

PatrickCrazy said:
    i havent had any good chinese food since i moved here and am still not used to white people working in asian joints

Take a train to Flushing instead of Williamsburg.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    batmon said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

#basic

haha

I've seen them with the smoker out front.

It's OK, but nothing you'd miss if it weren't there. There was a much better BBQ place on 112th, but they shut down and have now been replaced by a shitty pizza spot.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Take a train to Flushing instead of Williamsburg.

No, no Asian people in Queens. Especially Elmhurst.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    queens is too far for me

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    queens is too far for me

This is the name of a book just waiting to be written about Manhattan life.