The Brazilian Jamaica

ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
this is a great article on the reggae scene in S??o Luis do Maranh??o, a piss-poor town in the northeast of Brazil:

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/magazine/sao-luis-reggae

anyway, I don't know a thing about Jamaican music, but can anyone shed some light about the type of music that's mentioned in the article? Besides their deep love of Gregory Isaacs, have they latched on to some obscure or cheesy veins of reggae?

b/w

here are some locals doing their reggae dance:

Comments

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Looks like their dancing Forr??, just fast.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    yeah, the dance isn't that different from forr??. I think there's more steps to it though, and you have to swing your hips a lot more.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    Yeah, I was gonna say. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Brazilian hiphop with reggae vocals and a jackie mittoo sample
    great video too

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Not really on the Brazilian Jamaica tip. But...

Being it Brazil right now I've seen some Passinho "little step" here and there.

The wickedest was in Lapa down an alley was packed and the DJ was playing nothing but great 80's jams (mix of Freestyle/R&B/Soul/MJ jams a plenty). Most of the street was side steppin' and groovin'. Wish I was able to have recorded that.

I met a dude in Ipanema last Sunday that I took some photos of with his dog. He was tellin' me about his Brazilian reggae night and asked us to come. But we already had plans. Looking back I should have probably checked it out.