Hot Chick tracts!

Funky_MimizuFunky_Mimizu 631 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone Chick tracts ever? They're pretty damn creepy, and I have to admit, somewhat effective? At least after reading a few, I thinking, "shit, I gotta repent!", and "evolution is the work of satan!"... I think it's the comic format that makes them effective.Pretty freaky shit:http://www.chick.com/catalog/tractlist.asp (list of chick's tracts comics) http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1051/1051_01.asp (science teachers work for satan)Peace...FNM

Comments

• From the evolution comic:

Timmy: "Suzy, what Ms. Henn told us today is wrong if it gets us in trouble with god!"

Suzy: "That's right! This lie (evolution) was created by the devil to keep kids out of heaven!"

Timmy: "But Suzy, I want to go to heaven when I die!"

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    ehh wait..... so jews' deadliest enemies are catholics

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Man wtf???

Yeah, the Crusades were AWESOME

"are you guys ready to force your religion on some new people?"

Theme: Rock Music

Crusaders Comic Volume 10

Join the Crusaders as they meet a man who tells us how Satan is attacking the church, through spells, astrology, occultic jewelry and rock music

crazy

• dayday 9,611 Posts

man, where did you find this?

• man, where did you find this?

What's up Day? I was reading Shig's post about the conservative right-wing children's book... checked out the amazon.com reviews for the book, and someone mentioned that the book was like a chick tract, but not as fun...

Hadn't thought about chick tract's since college... I think originally I heard about them in a religion class.

Anyhow, bored at work, I figured it'd be fun to revisit...

Enjoy and REPENT!

Peace...
    FNM

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Holy Shit!
    As I was reading this page, scrolling down - I was remembering this comic and was going to post about it...and suddenly there it was! This shit is old. I had it when I was a kid in the late 70's, and I got mine at a yard sale of some dude's comics he had grown out of...I kept it forever because it was so crazy and would freak me out when I was young. Crazy rock stars drowning in pools, secret covens of witches, psychedelic trips being the window to Hell, etc...it was so much iller than any superhero comic to me...in a vague way my mind still associates this with acid rock, like whenever I see some old Crazy World of Arthur Brown video or something, I'll think of this comic...brainwashed...

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    I thought this was gonna be a post about Trina.

• A friend of my sisters once found one of his tracts in a pub bathroom, and was realy intrigued by it. He then thought about making his own tract with his friends about Jack T Chick and present it as a project for college. Basicaly in the book they try and find out more about him...

this is an extract of it:

David managed to talk to Mr. Chick's personal secretary who advised him to send questions in the form of a fax. The group became suspicious... They seemed to keep 'just' missing him, and no-one knew when he would be back in again. Did he realy exist after all? But then.. on Bonfire night:(picture of david saying "hello Mr Chick" and a dude on the phone).....

...Mr Chick explained that he was very busy, but ended up speaking for half-an-hour, and was very open about his work and his beliefs.

[i]David managed to talk to Mr. Chick's personal secretary who advised him to send questions in the form of a fax. The group became suspicious... They seemed to keep 'just' missing him, and no-one knew when he would be back in again. Did he realy exist after all? But then.. on Bonfire night:(picture of david saying "hello Mr Chick" and a dude on the phone).....

...Mr Chick explained that he was very busy, but ended up speaking for half-an-hour, and was very open about his work and his beliefs.

The whole group were convinced this was Jack Chick: he did exist after all. They were also reassured that despite the shocking content of some of the tracts, there was exceptional faith at the heart of them, not cynicism.

At the end of the conversation, Chick asked David about his faith: "May I ask you when you were Saved?",

and suggested that he think very seriously about his death and the judgment he could expect from God.

Wich affected David profoundly...

and another story, I was in Australia a few months ago (this was in Bunadaberg precisly) in a bus station and I see these little books in different languages. I pick up the french one without realy reading it, just looking at the pics, thinking "these drawings are cool". Then look at the back cover and it says "chick publications", so I drop it on the floor and run away, well not realy, but...

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    I had gotten a bunch of these when I was in New Orleans a few years back. Here's my favorite execerpt, from one about suicide:

• At the end of the conversation, Chick asked David about his faith: "May I ask you when you were Saved?",
    and suggested that he think very seriously about his death and the judgment he could expect from God.

Wich affected David profoundly...[/i]

Did he repent and become born again?

Chick tracts are effective because they scare you...

What kind of benevolent god scares you into worshipping him?

Peace...
    FNM

• I had gotten a bunch of these when I was in New Orleans a few years back. Here's my favorite execerpt, from one about suicide:

"You and Eye" - David Byrne

You and I - may kill ourselves
    You and I - go straight to hell
    Where they have barbeque and beer
    Better than they do up here
    And you know all the words to the songs

Yeah - we smoke cigarettes
    We dance with the dead
    They're soft to the touch
    We drink way too much

And darling, I think you'll like it here
    You might like it here

You and I - we ain't no saints
    You and I - we can see our fates
    We'll be the faces in the clouds
    We'll be a gospel singer's shout
    We'll be the lights from an airplane at night

Hey yeah - I can't stay in my skin
    I bin in here too long
    But I know where to find, a really good time
    And darlin' I think you'll like it here
    You might like it here

I'm gonna fall in love
    With ev'ryone I meet
    And ev'ryone I see
    And ev'rything I touch
    And ev'rything I feel

Isn't that the way (Isn't that the way)
    It's supposed to be? (Isn't that the way)
    It's supposed to be?

I'm the look upon your face
    The water on your lawn
    The light from distant stars
    The wreckage of a plane

The space between your teeth
    The itch you cannot scratch
    The mentally unfit
    The pimple on your lip

I'm the ice cubes in your glass
    A busted cadillac
    A garden of delight
    A joker in your deck

Well it ain't in what I feel
    No, it ain't in what I say
    In the pleasure of a kiss
    It never fades away

You and I

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Anyone AT ALL interested in the World of Jack T. Chick NEEDS to check out Daniel Raeburn's comic thesis "IMP #2: The Holy War of Jack Thomas Chick."[/b] It's fascinating reading that's comprehensive and well-researched...and under 70 pages for the Shig in all of us. It's largely based on the more exhaustively studied "The History of the World According to Jack T. Chick"[/b] by Bob Fowler.

The Crusaders and Chick's myriad tracts are very interesting to me because I grew up in an environment where these sorts of radical apologia were whole-heartedly accepted. I can see more clearly now, but really (to dumb it down): the insane drama and art in these is really fucking hard-core. Especially in the 60s & 70s, when Chick ratcheted up the stakes straight off the bat and didn't care about offending or marginalizing anyone.