Mountain Dew "racist" Tyler ad

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I have the overwhelming urge to try this shit now, see what all the hype is about.

And I got a thirst you could photograph.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Also love the fact he's collaborating with Flying Lotus.

Flying Lotus is so boring he makes me want to listen to Endtroducing on endless repeat.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I haven't watched the ad yet.

Any good?

I thought it was pretty weird and creepy, but a generation of kids who've grown up on Adult Swim or The Mighty Boosh might feel differently. It's certainly a peculiar way to sell soft drinks.

It's not even a good ad in a tasteless sort of way, it's just moronic. They might be able to get the same results by having Tyler do something idiotic and then say drink Mountain Dew. His fans might be convinced to buy it, but the entire world over the age of 16 would theoretically be unmoved.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    How is the Mountain Dew doing as a brand overall?

I dont see commercials like I used to from the 70s up thru the 90's.
    Last over-haul I saw was the MTN remix for their look, like KFC/ Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I dont see kids drinkin this shit like Coke, 7Up, Ginger Ale, and im not gonna compare to the RedBull shit.
    I think they attached themselves to the "Extreme" sports demographic when it first gained steam w/ the MTV generation.

I dont know if its ambiguous flavor can survive the 21st century. What is it again? It aint Lemon/Lime or Limon.

It was the shit when I was a 70's kid and cats were swingin into river from a rope.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Tyler/Earl/Domo appearance on Letterman in early April was great.

Speaking as someone who has/had no issues with - and even entertained by - the flurry of hyper gore&violence; art films that peaked in the 90s, the woman screaming No over and over again at the end freaked me the fuck out.

I understand this shit just doesn't have the same meaning for the target audience, but it is possible to be over the top and challenging without aiming for the lowest common denominator in every aspect. It's too bad 'offensive' has become synonymous with pushing boundaries.
    The ad is 170 ways to wack.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Tyler's a trip. Hyperactive 21 year old kid, never smoked nor drank, says silly ass shit, comes up with silly commercial treatments and sometimes really good video treatments ("IFHY" is fantastically creepy) and at the end of the day doesn't give as #@$% how offended or disgusted any of us get at him, his music or his ideas. I kinda like the guy, even though his music isn't for me.

I went to his show here two nights ago and felt old as hell. Their stage show was shit (rapping over rapping i.e. no instrumentals, no clear game plan as far as songs go, etc), but I could tell they were having fun. I threw all my old school "rules" and morals out the windows and just stood there in awe of how successful these kids have become off nothing more than some clever wordplay and just plain ol' being themselves.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

2x

Herm said:
    Tyler's a trip. Hyperactive 21 year old kid, never smoked nor drank, says silly ass shit, comes up with silly commercial treatments and sometimes really good video treatments ("IFHY" is fantastically creepy) and at the end of the day doesn't give as #@$% how offended or disgusted any of us get at him, his music or his ideas. I kinda like the guy, even though his music isn't for me.

I went to his show here two nights ago and felt old as hell. Their stage show was shit (rapping over rapping i.e. no instrumentals, no clear game plan as far as songs go, etc), but I could tell they were having fun. I threw all my old school "rules" and morals out the windows and just stood there in awe of how successful these kids have become off nothing more than some clever wordplay and just plain ol' being themselves.

Why are you always liking things that even you admit suck just because of some background/side reason? Your prerogative, but still.

HarveyCanal said:
    Herm said:

Why are you always liking things that even you admit suck just because of some background/side reason? Your prerogative, but still.

Positive over negative, holmes.

Edit: That last part sounded snarky.

Herm said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Herm said:

Positive over negative, holmes.

Edit: That last part sounded snarky.

Yeah, hats off to you. I couldn't follow suit if I tried...and I have. Lasts for about 10 minutes then right back to hypercritic.

• AndreBretonAndreBreton 344 Posts
    I'm concerned about how this is giving goats a bad name, as well as how it may influence young goats to copy this behavior.
    Do we really want a bunch of billys, running around, gakked out on MD, attacking women?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Herm said:

I saw him here in Berlin around Easter, and I was probably the oldest dude in the place. I had a great time, but then years and years of shitty rap shows has lowered my expectations quite a bit. Any rapper who displays something approaching genuine enthusiasm for what they're doing and who looks as if they're happy to be there - and Tyler ticks both these boxes as well as a few others - is OK by me.

I've still got a lot of time for OF. A lot of the people who were jocking them a couple of years back are now calling them last year's thing, but they seem cheerfully oblivious to it all and are just carrying on in much the same way you'd expect them to, quietly changing the game in lots of little ways and occasionally in some pretty big ones.

See, I can't even stand to hear about it.

There are plenty enough quality rap performers out there for y'all not to be liking garbage just because it's relatively better than some worse garbage you happened to see. I mean Paul Wall makes it his policy to never stop smiling as he completely half-asses verses over his own vocal tracks. So that would be fine with y'all?

Ugh, not me.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    See, I can't even stand to hear about it.

There are plenty enough quality rap performers out there for y'all not to be liking garbage just because it's relatively better than some worse garbage you happened to see. I mean Paul Wall makes it his policy to never stop smiling as he completely half-asses verses over his own vocal tracks. So that would be fine with y'all?

Ugh, not me.

How dare you badmouth The People's Champ!
    Take your mouth off

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    just carrying on in much the same way you'd expect them to, quietly changing the game in lots of little ways and occasionally in some pretty big ones.

Yes, but are they quietly shitting on the world of "real hip-hop"?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:
    How is the Mountain Dew doing as a brand overall?

I dont see commercials like I used to from the 70s up thru the 90's.
    Last over-haul I saw was the MTN remix for their look, like KFC/ Kentucky Fried Chicken.

I dont see kids drinkin this shit like Coke, 7Up, Ginger Ale, and im not gonna compare to the RedBull shit.
    I think they attached themselves to the "Extreme" sports demographic when it first gained steam w/ the MTV generation.

I dont know if its ambiguous flavor can survive the 21st century. What is it again? It aint Lemon/Lime or Limon.

It was the shit when I was a 70's kid and cats were swingin into river from a rope.

It's part of the Pepsi empire which will keep it going. Like you I haven't seen people drinking MD like they used to. Before kids were all into because it was supposed to have so much more caffeine than other sodas, but that buzz has passed.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm not surprised that an ad agency signed off on this. Some of them are completely clueless from what I've heard. I remember a story on This American Life years ago where a big ad company got a contract to make an "urban" commercial to sell soda. The original plan was for a bunch of black kids to be swimming and sitting around a public pool drinking the soda, but then the executives got into a big argument about whether black people swam! They then decided to switch the scene to a more stereotypical one where there were a bunch of black kids getting sprayed from a fire hydrant that had been opened. The ad execs got into another argument about what the kids would be wearing, because many didn't think black kids swam, therefore they would not have swimsuits to wear in the ad, and that led to deadlock. The company then gave up on producing the ad because apparently no one at the company knew any black people.

I also agree with those that are saying the buzz created by this ad is probably good enough for MD despite the content and complaints.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    motown67 said:
    kids were all into because it was supposed to have so much more caffeine than other sodas, but that buzz has passed.
    Indeed... in a world rife with Red Bull, 5 hour energy, and the like, Mountain Dew seems quaint by comparison. Also:

motown67 said:
    no one at the company knew any black people
    Classic.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• TheKindCromangTheKindCromang 1,463 Posts
    The talking goat bit is pretty hack.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The more I read the more I am convinced that this is one more in a long line of deliberately offensive ads.

The ads, imo, are designed to be pulled before ever airing on tv or paid clicks, but made readily available through social media reposts.

The company gains (in the eyes of the marketing people) by having their product talked about with out laying out the big $$$ for tv ads and internet clicks.

I think it is stupid and a mistake. I think this is a lose for MD.
    But so is most marketing. There is no 1for1 in marketing. Big corporations pay for marketing never knowing which ads, promotions, shows, magazines, web sites increased sales.

If there was as much effort put in to making commercials as there is in pointing out every politically incorrect and faux-offensive aspect of them, they might be watchable.

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    What a bunch of fake outrage. They sell "sugar water" to little kids. What do you expect?

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    countmacula said:
    What a bunch of fake outrage. They sell "sugar water" to little kids. What do you expect?

The low quality and unhealthy nature of most products is a whole different discussion. I will gladly discuss how soda is basically poisoned water that eats away at your body and makes you fat at the same time.

The fact that a corporation thought brutally beating up women and a line up of stereotype black thugs was funny is nuts. It looks like this was all Tyler's idea and I understand that coming from him but someone at PepsiCo should have cut this off at the pass.

Who knows, maybe it is a perfect way to market liquid poison. If you don't get your poison you should beat a waitress until you get it, don't worry, she'll be too afraid to point you out in a line up. This might actually appeal to people who don't care what they put in their body.

volumen said:

Who knows, maybe it is a perfect way to market liquid poison. If you don't get your poison you should beat a waitress until you get it, don't worry, she'll be too afraid to point you out in a line up.

But only if you're a talking goat.

I think it's safe to say that very few of Tyler's fanbase views this as anything other than funny/silly. I doubt any of them see or care about the racist/mysogynistic* undertones. (Of course, that says more about society as a whole but that's a whole 'nother depressing ass issue.) I'm pretty sure this ad was made specifically for Tyler's fanbase and nobody else.

*Is it mysogynistic if the goat character is female?

Two goat-related threads, Demon Fuzz and Slayer on the front of page today. What the hell?!

Also, I wonder if there would've been any backlash had the Mountain Dew folks told Tyler they wouldn't run his "racist" commercial idea.

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    All I'm saying is... it's a commercial. They did a horrible job trying to sell MD. That's it. Its not really a big deal. Nobody's really offended. It's fake outrage.