Why does everybody hate on fusion jazz so much?

2»

Comments

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts

also check his feel album on mps.
    that's my favourite album by him.

as long as it doesn't get too frantic, i can definitely get down with fusion.

aren't placebo and most of those european jazz groups considered fusion?

• PASSPORT

• recommended fusion:

catalyst- s/t- cobblestone- 72
    catalyst- perception- muse- 73
    catalyst- unity- muse- 74
    catalyst- a tear and a smile- muse- 75

weird i was just playing both unity and perception last night. those are some good records. i have actually been getting more into fusion lately. the kind i hate is larry coryell electric guitar solo action. the kind i like is fender rhodes, a little horn action.
    just picked up tarika blue second album and it's pretty nice, fusion wise. no beats or anything.
    just picked up another one called spirit free plays starship. it's great fusion with fender rhodes. private press i guess reminds me of john klemmer's cadet work (don't hate on early klemmer!)

• In fact, I just bought this one on eBay last night:

is that john kerry ?

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    I heard Weather Report Live in Tokyo yesterday, a little too free for my tastes, they really aired it out on there. I heard Herbie's got some killer Japan only live LPs.

Word to Bayete, recently heard that for the first time and shit is lovely.

And all that Euro stuff is fusion in my book, still trying to track down Placebo!

One of my personal fusion grails is Michael Sardaby - Gail. Only heard a few clips, but it was definitely

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

One of my personal fusion grails is Michael Sardaby - Gail. Only heard a few clips, but it was definitely

Michel Sardaby's Gail LP is more a jazz than a fusion album, it has one real nice jazzfunk cut, Welcome New Warmth.

• i have actually been getting more into fusion lately. the kind i hate is larry coryell electric guitar solo action. the kind i like is fender rhodes, a little horn action.
    just picked up tarika blue second album and it's pretty nice, fusion wise. no beats or anything.
    just picked up another one called spirit free plays starship. it's great fusion with fender rhodes. private press i guess reminds me of john klemmer's cadet work (don't hate on early klemmer!)

I can't stand coryell and don't like weather report. Too pre-smooov (b) jazz, it takes the least desirable ingredients from rock and jazz. I like mine a little edgier, darker, or creative. So yes to late 60s / early 70s material by tony williams, miles davis, herbie hancock, norman williams, steve reid, lloyd mcneill, etc.

That spirit free is really nice. I paid quite a bit for mine and felt a little foolish.

Fusion A HREF="http://sulley.dm.ucf.edu/~aschrock/temp/images/tbreak.mp3">got braeks?

also check his feel album on mps.
    that's my favourite album by him.

mine as well, but I need to hear this:

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    One big reason: chaos. You know how it is, it's all mellow and obviously the guys are getting technical, you can smell the bongwater. Than Stanley Clarke comes in and it's a bit of boom-dweedle-dweedle-badada-badada-
    badada-
    badada-
    badada-badada-badada-
    badada-
    badada-badada-badada-badada-badada-
    badada-
    badada-

badada-badada-badada-
    badada-
    badada-badada-

(drum break worthy when slowed down)

badada-
    badada-badada-badada-badada-
    badada-
    badada-
    badada-badada-badada-

And of course, here comes special guest Jan Hammer!

I like it.

Let's talk more James Mason-ish fusion sounding soul music. Jinx lent me this 7" cover version of "You are my Starship" by a group outta DC called Aggression and its , arps and rhodes abound.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

That thing that thing that thiiiiiiiing

That spirit free is really nice. I paid quite a bit for mine and felt a little foolish.

what Spirit Free ?

mine as well, but I need to hear this:

ultra dope mps release !

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

Does this count as fusion? Dope record imo.

Does this count as fusion? Dope record imo.

• That spirit free is really nice. I paid quite a bit for mine and felt a little foolish.

what Spirit Free ?

It's called "plays starship". Funky vocal-less fusion from las vegas. Their address was right on the strip next to the elvis wedding chapel.

Dante wrote it up for wax poetics a while back.....

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Fusion started out with Miles Davis, start 70??s raw as fuck, but the reason peeps hate on it is because it ended up (late 70's early 80's) sounding crazy cheese waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

1969. Mean and bad(d) as all fuck. Five very pointy stars. I like Vol. 2 a little better.

1969. Mean and bad(d) as all fuck. Five very pointy stars. I like Vol. 2 a little better.

thats a mean cover, to really feel fusion Im pretty sure I need this and the Plays Starship record......(and perhaps a couple of other joints)

• soul on ice- next time you see sweetnighter in a dollar bin pick it up. dope ass common lp.

real awesome real dirty, sounds like the oldest fusion record ever, 125th Street Congress sounds like theyre drumming on garbage cans, Non-Stop Home starts out with the illest drum keyboard wahwah madness, then changes into James Brown style bassline...

I just gotta parrot this shit here... I love Weather Report, (wheres the 'I celebrate their entire catalogue' graemlin already?!) and Sweetnighter is defnitely dope as fuck.

Mysterious Traveler, Black Market, Heavy Weather... I like most of the shit I've heard... except the really late stuff.

And, not sure if you people would consider it fusion... but Eddie Harris' "I Need Some Money" sounds like fusion to me.

Peace...
    FNM