NYC - Massive Pile of Free (?) Records in the East Village (???)

WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
NY folks - did anyone else hear about this or venture by this yesterday?

I heard about it earlier in the day, at around 1:00 PM. I ventured over and inquired about going through it but was told the entire thing had been already been purchased? I think I may have, however, been hoodwinked with that info - seems people (none of which were there when I was) were still going through it at around 3:20 yesterday.

Did anyone go? Did anyone get anything? I'm not sure I even want to know.

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    This is a somewhat tragic story, I know the guy whose records these were.

It's a long story, I can tell it when I have more time, but basically being mentally unable to sell a small part of your collection can lead to losing it all. Seen it many times before.

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    horseleech give it up mang!
    all of that can't be chud

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Wow. That sucks. Not quite the amazing pile of free records it seemed.

I once came upon a large amount of records on the street in SF. It looked like a sidewalk sale. Only having a few bucks on me, I browsed conservatively. I was just about to ask some guys how much everything was when they walked away. Everyone was gone. I realized they were free and loaded up. A recording studio had closed and put everything outside. I went back and found a bunch of studio master reels in the dumpster, including one produced by Automator.

Those were intentionally abandoned.

Kind of takes the fun out of the score when you realize you're gaining from one's misfortune.

• ewwww to vulture moves. bad vibes all around.

i once skimmed 400 rare records off a guy in Brooklyn Heights who had inherited a dead tenant's record collection. i paid him out real well too, and seeing his mental gears grinding behind his eyes calculating what the whole 4,000 record stash would eventually come to.. he almost had a a certain Seinfeldian Newmanesque glee to the whole affair. Little did he know then that he'd probably sell another 75 and be out of pocket to get the remaining chud removed by trash haulers.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was called about this maybe a month back and went to look. Didn't realize whose stuff it was until about halfway through the morning.

Two basement rooms, I went through 1 and change before we all had to break out. The Junkers were taking everything not nailed down. Water was pouring in from an open leak, covering the floor quickly. Entire crates of records were bricked together by mold.

The owner bought strictly out of dollar bins and inherited free toss offs from several sellers. Trust me when I say the scene was pretty harsh and if I didn't get back to look at the rest it's because the first go-round was not particularly fruitful.

Did find a couple of cool 45s.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I was called about this maybe a month back and went to look. Didn't realize whose stuff it was until about halfway through the morning.

Two basement rooms, I went through 1 and change before we all had to break out. The Junkers were taking everything not nailed down. Water was pouring in from an open leak, covering the floor quickly. Entire crates of records were bricked together by mold.

The owner bought strictly out of dollar bins and inherited free toss offs from several sellers. Trust me when I say the scene was pretty harsh and if I didn't get back to look at the rest it's because the first go-round was not particularly fruitful.

Did find a couple of cool 45s.

That is consumer language, I would have expected a more technical description, especially from a dealer. Anyway, I appreciate your opinion.

Too bad I missed out on this MAJOR SCORE, I totally would have gone barracude-style regardless of the other grippers on smash.

What the hell are you talking about

• kalakala 3,359 Posts
    lol
    gator toof is truly obtuse and slightly insane

• Jonny_Paycheck said:

please Raj, can you permanently mod edit GT's Location to this?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Kind of takes the fun out of the score when you realize you're gaining from one's misfortune.

I got a similar vibe once when I was apartment hunting in NYC. At one of the many shit hole places I looked at there was a room full of records tossed on the floor and the landlord, who was showing me the place, was like "hey, you like records? take these!" I thought about grabbing the copy of Emperor Tomato Ketchup that was on top of the pile, and maybe start going through to see what was there, but then I felt really weird about the whole thing.

I did buy a turntable and some speakers for cheap off a trust fund kid who was selling all his stuff so he could go on tour with his band, but I didn't consider that gaining from his misfortune since the misfortune part hadn't happened yet.

This person had some amazing records too, they didn't just buy out of the dollar bin and had been accumulating these for decades - I don't know if the better records were part of this equation or not.

I guess A-1 bought some of this, but apparently the landlord/super let people go through the purchased lot before they picked it up - it seems like a messed up story all around.

If he had some primo stuff it was not in that basement.

What I saw was strictly dollar bin. It was completely unorganized, horder dross.

Nice guy, lots of history. but I think he "exported" most of his good records.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

It was in his apartment, I just don't know if he still has it or or not.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    but I didn't consider that gaining from his misfortune since the misfortune part hadn't happened yet.

Ouch.

Horseleech said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

It was in his apartment, I just don't know if he still has it or or not.

Very strange. Property managers did not mention an apartment, although there were "personal items" in the basement (condoms and lube, for instance - yes sex/robbery!) Dude often smelled like he hadn't seen a shower in weeks, I assumed he was kind of homeless or drifting. Always liked the guy though.

He allegedly disappeared and stopped paying rent on the basement months ago.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Jonny_Paycheck said:

cool 45s.

yeah, 45s are cool.

c'mon bra

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    lol, what?

That is consumer language, I would have expected a more technical description, especially from a dealer. Anyway, I appreciate your opinion.

DustedDon said:
    lol, what?

JP described some 45s as being "cool." He has been trained, as a dealer, to use more scienticif/factual terms, or symbols, so poeple fully understand the concept of the item.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    What makes GatorToof GatorToof? Your essence?

Are you like a super nerd?
    Grew up in isolation?
    English is not your first language?
    An alias?

Your floating on a different wavelength, but icant quite figure it out. I'm not trying to be mean. Your words are just unique.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    scienticif

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    there is too much consumer language in this thread

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    GatorToof said:

"*completely inaccurate answer to the question being asked*......

....hopefully that helps.???"

always makes me laugh.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    A couple months ago I actually observed GatorToof in the wild. It was so much weirder than anything on the internet.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I vote for Gator Goof being an alias, one of the most headache inducing ones in a minute.

He needs an avatar

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I like to think of him and Eggy Zed as the same person. It saves time.

I think, before poasting, they both roll a dice with five question marks on it.