Thinking of dabbling in the dark arts (Serrato / Traktor - r)

2»

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    serato.related: I see so many djs rocking the vertical waveforms.

Can someone explain that to me? I figure most people look at DAW audio waveforms in a left-to-right style.
    Is there something i'm missing?

• cove said:

Can someone explain that to me? I figure most people look at DAW audio waveforms in a left-to-right style.

yeah this is sumthin i dont get either....i guess it comes down to personal choice, but it just seems like a weird way to view a waveform, i agree, i think its just as weird that Rane has it there as an option, people like options thoughs..

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    I have a Vestax PMC-005 Pro mixer currently. If I want to get Serato, should I just buy a box or would y'all recommend splurging for the Rane Sixty One?

If I go the Rane route, it doesn't include a box for DJing out at a club, correct?

I'm a luddite when it comes to this shit. TANX

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    cove said:

I think vertical waveforms are the norm. I too find that odd--I prefer horizontal waveforms for the exact reason you state (because it's like the Pro Tools screens I've spent countless hours staring at) and because the scrolling makes sense to me that way. I don't know why so many people use vertical waveforms, but the majority of them do. It's weird.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    I'M SCOOPING THE RANE SIX DEUCE TODAY AND DAMN IM EXCITED....

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DustedDon said:

Wow, dude...that's dope. I haven't had the privilege of playing around with that one. Looks awesome/overwhelming. The dicers have been really useful for me regarding having buttons for easier access.

I hope you got a deal on that 62, because those fuckers are expensive...2 Grand, right?

JectWon said:
    DustedDon said:

Wow, dude...that's dope. I haven't had the privilege of playing around with that one. Looks awesome/overwhelming. The dicers have been really useful for me regarding having buttons for easier access.

I hope you got a deal on that 62, because those fuckers are expensive...2 Grand, right?

i paid more then what i was seeing on ebay but i was able to get a good deal locally which covers all my support, warranty and can even get a loaner if i a need repair. road case included as well.... i am LOVING this thing!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    /jealous

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    the only DJs i know who use serato are club / hip hop / top 40 doods. Everyone else i know uses traktor. Couple of friends have unloaded serato and made the switch to traktor as well.

the vertical waveforms do indeed look retarded - but people who use serato like em cause they help indicate when the two tracks are in time. Ive seen guys dj without headphoens because they just look at the two waves - when they are perfectly in sync they are both moving together IN TIME.. when you are off you can see them go out of sync.

Dubious said:
    when they are perfectly in sync they are both moving together IN TIME.. when you are off you can see them go out of sync.

even tho i've been mixing by ear since i started DJing i must admit that when playing tracks that i've ripped from vinyl the visual aid helps control what i call the "double wobble" that occurs from playing tracks ripped from music on turntables.