Fania Question

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Anyone come across one of these labels? Did Fania license the rights for certain 45s to Scepter/Wand? Or were all of their releases distributed by Scepter/Wand at some point? I've owned at least four or five dozen titles on Fania--including, I think, the LP that this 45 comes from--and never seen this label before. Doesn't look like it's an overseas thing either.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The only one I've seen (and own) so far is the same one as in the photo, the Ralfi Pagan...my theory is that because "Make It With You" was a hit, Wand picked it up for distribution, hence the Fania/Wand amalgamated label. That is a pretty standard Wand/Scepter label for the time, except for the Fania logo.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    seen it before, i think "corazon" by ltd exchange comes on that label, but don't quote me on that...

i'm guessing it was a general distro deal for lil bit in the early 70's, as it you don't see it on stuff from earlier or later than that...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The only one I've seen (and own) so far is the same one as in the photo, the Ralfi Pagan...my theory is that because "Make It With You" was a hit, Wand picked it up for distribution, hence the Fania/Wand amalgamated label. That is a pretty standard Wand/Scepter label for the time, except for the Fania logo.

Yeah, that's a pretty good theory--didn't realize "Make It With You" was the flip. And you're right that the Wand/Scepter label is standard.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    seen it before, i think "corazon" by ltd exchange comes on that label, but don't quote me on that...

i'm guessing it was a general distro deal for lil bit in the early 70's, as it you don't see it on stuff from earlier or later than that...

OK, was looking for something else and found LTG Exchange - Water Bed (pt 1&2) 1974 with the same deal going on. a-ight?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

OK, was looking for something else and found LTG Exchange - Water Bed (pt 1&2) 1974 with the same deal going on. a-ight?

yeah I got both of those too, not the corazon cut, but the LTD Water bed and the Ralfi Pagan. Im not sure what year the Ralphi Pagan came out, but the LTD excahnge was in 1974. But LTD excahnge, has three(3) labels representing them which is even more confusing. Fania, with distro by Wand but the copyright from Scepter Records, which it seems is a division of Wand records. Im totally confused and am sure I have not helped at all. I dont even remember the question.

I think the Wand/Scepter thang might be a local NY thing, as Spliff is from NY, I think Faux is as well and I am too.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

You're actually right. I have this same single on the Scepter/Wand-distributed Fania.

I think Scepter/Wand just handled specific Fania titles (none of them were LP's, at least going by what I've seen).

Im not sure what year the Ralphi Pagan came out

1971. That was when "Make It With You" was a hit on the soul charts.

But LTD excahnge, has three(3) labels representing them which is even more confusing. Fania, with distro by Wand but the copyright from Scepter Records, which it seems is a division of Wand records.

No, Wand was a division of Scepter. They just chose their sister label to handle Fania, the same way that Atlantic had certain smaller labels distributed by Atco (the main Atlantic subsid).

I think the Wand/Scepter thang might be a local NY thing, as Spliff is from NY, I think Faux is as well and I am too.

Scepter/Wand was based out of NY, but they weren't regional by a long shot. This is the company that gave us Dionne Warwick, B.T. Express, Chuck Jackson, B.J. Thomas, the Independents, the Kingsmen, and many many other chartbusters. This was a big label in their time; you could probably get Scepter records anywhere from Maine to Mexico.

Hope this helped.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts

You're actually right. I have this same single on the Scepter/Wand-distributed Fania.

I think Scepter/Wand just handled specific Fania titles (none of them were LP's, at least going by what I've seen).

Im not sure what year the Ralphi Pagan came out

1971. That was when "Make It With You" was a hit on the soul charts.

But LTD excahnge, has three(3) labels representing them which is even more confusing. Fania, with distro by Wand but the copyright from Scepter Records, which it seems is a division of Wand records.

No, Wand was a division of Scepter. They just chose their sister label to handle Fania, the same way that Atlantic had certain smaller labels distributed by Atco (the main Atlantic subsid).

Scepter/Wand was based out of NY, but they weren't regional by a long shot. This is the company that gave us Dionne Warwick, B.T. Express, Chuck Jackson, B.J. Thomas, the Independents, the Kingsmen, and many many other chartbusters. This was a big label in their time; you could probably get Scepter records anywhere from Maine to Mexico.

Hope this helped.

Mad thorough!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yo Pickwick, I gotta big you up for a minute. Always coming through maximum knowledge and minimum bullshit, especially concerning record labels. One of my favorite posters on SS.

Ok, I'll get of your knob now. Continue???