Jungle Brothers - Done By The Forces of Nature

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Black Woman

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    future said:
    Controller_7 said:
    There is a lengthy thread on the third album. I bought a cut out promo cassette in high school and always liked it. I have it on vinyl too.

Done by the Forces has some incredible production. It's quiet, but still bumps if you turn it up. Great samples and pretty much a fun vibe all the way though.

Does a quiet sound indicate poor production? These days it seems like a lot of albums are compressed and mastered at distorted volumes, but I've heard of the opposite problem with an album losing range while also being too quiet.

Always wondered how & why that happened.

I hear you. But mixed quiet could go wrong too, in that you're pushing it to go loud and you end up hearing hum, especially on vinyl.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    future said:
    Controller_7 said:
    There is a lengthy thread on the third album. I bought a cut out promo cassette in high school and always liked it. I have it on vinyl too.

Done by the Forces has some incredible production. It's quiet, but still bumps if you turn it up. Great samples and pretty much a fun vibe all the way though.

Does a quiet sound indicate poor production? These days it seems like a lot of albums are compressed and mastered at distorted volumes, but I've heard of the opposite problem with an album losing range while also being too quiet.

Always wondered how & why that happened.

I hear you. But mixed quiet could go wrong too, in that you're pushing it to go loud and you end up hearing hum, especially on vinyl.

Didn't mean to gank your thread but I think what you're hearing on the first album is the sound quality of the sampler on the MPC 60.
    It had this flat quality to the samples recorded into it that was hard to make pop in mixing and mastering.