Does John Denver get the SoulStrut pass? (just wondering-r)

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
As a singer-songwriter, at least? As a titan of AM Gold?

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    No

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Just because I don't want to listen to his music doesn't mean he wasn't great.

IMO he falls in with Joan Baez, Jim Croce, Don McLean, James Taylor etc . Easy listening, singer songwriter stuff. They all have 1 or 2 songs I like or own, but in general I don't listen to them much. But, you'd be nuts to discount them and not give respect to their talents and the influence their music has had.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I was fortunate enough to find a copy of his highly valuable Private Press LP, and after listening to it I can honestly say that he had a massive talent. His major label stuff does have its cheese factor, but he was still quite good. If someone reissues that Private LP, check it out, it really is worth a listen.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dudes next door to my dorm room freshman year in college would religiously bump 2 albums:

John Denver's Greatest Hits

&

The Little Mermaid soundtrack.

PARTY ON!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    volumen said:
    Just because I don't want to listen to his music doesn't mean he wasn't great.

IMO he falls in with Joan Baez, Jim Croce, Don McLean, James Taylor etc . Easy listening, singer songwriter stuff. They all have 1 or 2 songs I like or own, but in general I don't listen to them much. But, you'd be nuts to discount them and not give respect to their talents and the influence their music has had.