record digging-easthampton springfield mass,hartford

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
anything worth stopping for on a minor road trip in these parts?
thanks

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    used to be a cool shop n easthampton called time capsule but I think it's caput. Have never found much in Springfield/Holyoke thrifts (there are a bunch) but I know friends that have scored. Time and place I guess.

Shops: Northampton Turn It Up has records; Feeding Tube (also Northampton) is priced more like a boutique but has excellent selection, I have done well over the last couple visits; Amherst Mystery Train always worth a stop; John Doe Jr in Greenfield is a few exits up the 91 and is definitely worth the trek. I always buy a bunch of stuff, nice prices and diverse selection.

Fleas ... Never really sure, the Holyoke one seems to be big. Maybe The_Non can drop science, he's in the Hadley area.

My folks moved to Northampton back in '02 and I used to kill it every time I visited but the returns have been diminishing to be sure. Still, there are records. I tend to do better in central Mass as far as the random flea/thrift come ups. Holler at El Tio Querido (not sure what his soulstrut alias is?? Might be waxi-only) if you're headed out that way.

I spent two weeks in Hartford back in like 2004 and the digging, like the city, was pretty harsh.

Hope that's helpful

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    can't speak about the record shopping in that area, but Mass MoCA up in North Adams is worth a visit. It's about an hour from Easthampton, maybe a bit more, and the drive is quite lovely.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    sklute
    thanks for the time and the succinct info.
    ps
    i hand picked that crate that girl evie brought into your store over the summer,she has mad records from a collection she inherited and is in no rush to sell them.
    of course i get dibs but.......
    weither she will sell more of them is up to her
    if it does happen i will again hand pick the next crate

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Is Mystery Train in UMass still there?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Is Mystery Train in UMass still there?

Yes
    It sucks

That's a harsh assessment

I always find something decent, not the glory days but what is

Sick and rare stuff has been pulled out of there even this year, don't hate the player hate the game

Kala no prob good luck in your travels and much thanks for the referral

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i haven't gotten to check out the physical store, but i've bought a bunch of stuff off mystery train on ebay, A+++++ style.

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    is there (still) a Mystery Train Records near Harvard Square?

No, there's one in Gloucester that is good.