The most underrated Beatles track is...

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
I've Got a Feelin'

Comments

• I find it hard to believe any Beatles songs are underrated.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    'You Never Give Me Your Money' from Abbey Road

6 style changes in 4 mins. An unbelievable feat.

• CastenedaCasteneda 100 Posts
    "Rain". Great, hard-hitting drum intro, and a nice concluding looped backwards vocal by Lennon.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadude

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Hey Bulldog. Killer all the way through.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    There's A Place.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    There's A Place.

great song but hardly underrated - it's pretty much got its due recognition of late

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    I kinda agree with SP 1200. Or at least, with a band like this it seems like what some people might call underrated others might think of as obvious and appreciated. Anyway:

Hey Bulldog
    Yes It Is
    She's A Woman
    I Don't Want To Spoil The Party

and

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    "The Word"... off Abbey Road

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Off of Rubber Soul?

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "She Loves You"

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Long, Long, Long

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Happiness Is a Warm Gun.

toby.d said:
    Off of Rubber Soul?

Yeah

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Considering how virtually every kid in the 60s had all of their albums and knew them front to back (and all released in what, a 7-year period?), I have to agree with the idea that there are no underrated Beatles songs. Now, The Stones, with their larger output over a much longer period???too long for anyone to have that same "I-was-young-the-whole-time-they-were-together-and-know-all-of-their-songs-by-heart-because-I'm young-and-listen-to-music-ad-nauseum" connection with the entire catalog???they could have some sleepers.

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    tabira said:
    Hey Bulldog. Killer all the way through.

Original version of the Roots Thought@Work had the Hey Bulldog intro sampled. Obviously cut from the LP version due to clearance issues but there is a promo 12" of it, well worth searching out.

anyway.....Beatles....I'm Only Sleeping

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Now, The Stones

New thread!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    toby.d said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Now, The Stones

New thread!

after that we can do one about how underrated The Doors are!

OH WAIT

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Considering how virtually every kid in the 60s had all of their albums and knew them front to back (and all released in what, a 7-year period?), I have to agree with the idea that there are no underrated Beatles songs.
    I would disagree. I think you're conflating underrated with obscure.

The Beatles have a gang of songs that, while hugely popular, are mostly appreciated on one certain level: The Pop Gem, The Lovely Ballad, The Cool Experimental Piece, whatever. This doesn't preclude them from being underappreciated on other levels, though. Some of their best-known Pop Gems, for example, run a lot deeper--emotionally and conceptually--than they're given credit for.

Take "She Loves You": fully rated and recognized as a canonical teen-steamer, but largely slept-upon as a remarkably sophisticated (for the pop charts and for 1963) slice of narrative from an unmistakably modern kind of companionable three-sided relationship--male lover+female lover+well-meaning male mutual friend--that kinda didn't really exist in pop before then. But it's mostly thought of as just a bopper. In this, I think it's underrated.

Just because a certain track was a huge song from the goddamned Beatles (or from the goddamned Anybody), I think it's specious to say then that people have necessarily given said track its due.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Considering how virtually every kid in the 60s had all of their albums and knew them front to back (and all released in what, a 7-year period?), I have to agree with the idea that there are no underrated Beatles songs. Now, The Stones, with their larger output over a much longer period???too long for anyone to have that same "I-was-young-the-whole-time-they-were-together-and-know-all-of-their-songs-by-heart-because-I'm young-and-listen-to-music-ad-nauseum" connection with the entire catalog???they could have some sleepers.

FOOH

• goes hard and shits all over the album version

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Please... don't.. be.. loooonnngg..
    please don't you be very looonngg
    please don't be loooonngg
    or i may be asleep..

- spidey

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Wow. I got both James and Skel telling me to GTFOOHWTBS in the same post.

• coquicoqui 42 Posts
    SPlDEY said:

Please... don't.. be.. loooonnngg..
    please don't you be very looonngg
    please don't be loooonngg
    or i may be asleep..

- spidey

Yes! This track is one of my go to Beatles tracks. Unbelievable. Lost driving in the hills above LA, cloaked in fog, the car starts to hover three feet off the ground like Repo Man.

Also have to second the mention of "I've Got A Feeling"... pure fire, for me it towers over the rest of the album. That riff, the way the tune builds on itself, the whole song just sounds inevitable. If I were compiling a single-disc Beatles compilation for somebody, this would have to close it.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

• edith head said:
    Long, Long, Long

Yes. Right here.

This is on some Top 10 overall Beatles shit. Hell, some Top 10 Songs Ever Written shit.

This song is such a killer.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    no idea if this is underratted or what ever, anyway, pretty groovy..

cant do anything but love this track

also..

• kitkit 5 Posts
    George's compositions are pretty shit hot! While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Something aside here are some notable George songs that I love and feel don't get enough praise. Granted I don't hang with other Beatles enthusiasts to tell them my feeleengs.

Think For Yourself
    Savoy Truffle

kit said:
    pretty shit hot!

awesome