J-Zone/Prince Paul Interviews

DJSORCE1DJSORCE1 25 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Hi All,

I recently ran interviews with J-Zone and Prince Paul on my blog.

In the J-Zone interview, we talk about sampling from cassette into and SP-1200, his favorite cassette tape of all-time, and his cassette tape collection.

J-Zone Interview

In the Prince Paul interview, he talks about the production behind De La Soul is Dead.

Prince Paul Interview

I hope you enjoy them. Post feedback if you feel like it.

Sorce-1

Comments

• DJSORCE1DJSORCE1 25 Posts
    If you're feeling these, you may also enjoy my interviews with Cosmo Baker and John Doe about dope as fuck mix tapes.

Cosmo Baker- Love Break

John Doe- The Last Amateur

The Cosmo one is from a few years back, John Doe was posted this week.

Cool.

Sorce-1

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Really enjoyed the Prince Paul, plus I've been looking for that promo pic of De La in the Gucci track suits forever.

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. Glad you liked the interview!

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Good reading, I've actually visited this blog off and on in the past.

Thanks stratasphere, I appreciate you checking out my writing. I was on a bit of a hiatus while I got some life stuff sorted out, but I'm trying to get back into blogging about cool record/producing/mix tape/rap related stuff again on a regular basis.

And thanks to everyone else who has come through the site and checked out my stuff, I really do appreciate it.

Sorce-1

Since my blog has been getting a ton of love from Soulstrut (thanks so much to everyone taking to time to check my stuff!), I was wondering if people would like me to post a few more of my interviews that are done in a similar style.

If not, all good.

Thanks again,

Sorce-1

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Nice interview. Thanks for posting. Ive been blasting De La Soul os dead for a few weeks in the car so it was great to read about it with all the songs still fresh in my mind. Funnyily i was chewing my gfs ear off last nite about the production on that album

I'm honestly surprised that the production isn't discussed more often when people talk about classic albums. It is incredibly layered and complicated. Given the time period and the equipment they were using, in my opinion, it's mind blowing.

For De La fans, I also interviewed Paul extensively about De La's first three albums @ The Smoking Section a while back.

It was part of of 3 part series we did.

Part 1: Retrospective piece on 3 Feet High - Stakes is High
    Part 2: Prince Paul De La Interview on first three albums
    Part 3: A killer mix tape of De La stuff by DJ Jaycee titled "From The Soul: The Music & Influence of De La Soul"

Enjoy

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    liking the writing, but formatting-wise that light type on the grey background is burning my eyes!

Before I let the thread die...

Prince Paul produced the majority of the Soul's of Mischief 2009 album Montezuma's Revenge. I liked the album and interviewed him about it. If you care, you can read about it here.

Part 1
    Part 2

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    I really enjoyed this. Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Thank you all. Seriously, thank you so much to everyone who has taken the time to check out my stuff, I sincerely appreciate it.

I think all of you were a big help in getting the piece mentioned on ego trip.

Thanks again,

Sorce-1

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    Yep, good stuff Sorce. I always enjoy reading Prince Paul stuff that isn't the same old.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Good stuff, man. Lots of v interesting stuff on your site. Thanks.