That Awkward Sample

cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Yes, there is something I cannot handle.
When I listen to songs /beats that use songs i have different relations with. There was this german rapper that used a sample from Barclay James Harvest and the song makes me cringe, though it might be good. It??s just that I don??t like Barclay James Harvest, and he used the Keys from "Life is for Living" or whatever that songs named.
Others might be beats that use Schlager or something. it just bugs me.
How does the strut feel?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    "It's a hard knock life" is the #1 reason for me never wanting to listen to Jay Z.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I wonder if Jim Jones knows that this dude ripped off his whole dusty Pigpen look?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    How about a James Last feature?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....ONE BANANA....

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    When Digable Planets tried to touch Blacks & Blues full on knowing KMD slayed that shit.

Artifacts poor use of Along Came Betty.

When I can hear mid's and high's in the shadows of an attempt at a low pass filter.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Didn't Dipset sample Starship's "We Built This City"? Yeah, that's a no-go. I mean, the "Easy" flip for "Hey Ma" was fine on some "turn a cheeseball song into something good," but sampling Starship? Fuck outta here.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    that one later De La song, from the early 00's, that uses the McCartney xmas jawn. horror show

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    When Digable Planets tried to touch Blacks & Blues full on knowing KMD slayed that shit.

didn't Brand Nubian use that before KMD?

Rishan said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

didn't Brand Nubian use that before KMD?

Nah. You thinking of San Francisco Lights?

Eggplant Xanadoo said:

That's a discussion unto itself, I think: Samples that just shouldn't be touched again because of an iconic use. Like, I recently had a rapper ask me to make a beat with, as he put it, the "Black Sheep This or That" drums. I was worried he meant the Linda Devine sample, which I wouldn't have touched. Turns out he just meant the New Birth drums.

• Rishan said:
    that one later De La song, from the early 00's, that uses the McCartney xmas jawn. horror show

I disagree homeboy!

• the 'impeach' drum break doesn't sound like it's even looped properly in this one. missing a quarter beat every 4 bars.

• Rishan said:

No way, that schitt's awesome.

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Digable Planets probably only heard Eric B & Rakim touch it at that point, as KMD's was unreleased.

• vintageinfants said:
    the 'impeach' drum break doesn't sound like it's even looped properly in this one. missing a quarter beat every 4 bars.

"Impeach The President" looping error not in his favor; I noticed at the end of the chorus.
    During the verse, the Diana Ross sample kept ending shortly (on time but still, haha).

CinisterCee said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Digable Planets probably only heard Eric B & Rakim touch it at that point, as KMD's was unreleased.

Shit was done way before that homie. Mr.hood era shit.

Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    CinisterCee said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

It was a b side on the nitty gritty 12" and being both on Elektra I'm sure those sons knew.

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    CinisterCee said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

Oh yeah, haha. The B-side!!!
    I do like Digable Planets' usage though.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    COMEONSON!!!

• digable were on pendulum not elektra, right?

the j-lo song with the beatnuts beat-bite was always a bit cringe worthy in my book. the hook was painful too.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    COMEONSON!!!

I actually couted the hrs for this to come up. Wedding Band material, 80??s prom shit.
    that PM Dawn song was a wtf from day one..

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    COMEONSON!!!

I actually couted the hrs for this to come up. Wedding Band material, 80??s prom shit.

Indeed.

DB_Cooper said:
    cadeaux said:
    sticky_dojah said:
    COMEONSON!!!

Indeed.

I swear to god I'm gonna drop that Fear of a Black Hat joint in the club someday. That one and "Ice Froggy Frog."

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    I swear to god I'm gonna drop that Fear of a Black Hat joint in the club someday. That one and "Ice Froggy Frog."

Don't sleep on Booty Juice, though. That shit is hot.

DB_Cooper said:
    DJ_Enki said:

Don't sleep on Booty Juice, though. That shit is hot.

"Grab Yo Stuff," too.

I swear, when that hat comes up and Tasty Taste comes out dancing (rocking the trophy as a medallion!), I crack up every time.

And if I were to be playing in St. Louis, I could play the original, uncensored version because they likes the shits and dicks in St. Louis.

• "Looking at the Front Door"

vs

"Let the Beat Hit 'Em"

Of course I love Main Source 'cause of them being hip-hops but slight advantage to Lisa Lisa for just being Lisa Lisa