March Finds

2»

Comments

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    I'm still making my way through them all, but I've been happy with what has crossed my path.

The Mirettes - Whirlpool (Uni, 1969)
    Birth Control - S/T (Prophesy, 1970)
    The Crome Syrcus - The Love Cycle (Command, 1968)
    Medusa - Trapeze (Threshold, 1970)
    Kaleidoscope - Side Trips (Epic, 1967)
    Alvin Cash and The Registers - Twine Time (Mar-V-Lus, 1965)

Prince - Controversy (Warner Bros, 1981) German pressing
    Terry Reid - Bang Bang You're Terry Reid (Epic, 1968)
    Cat Mother And The All-Night Newsboys - Cat Mother (Polydor, 1971)
    Prince - For You (Warner Bros, 1978)
    The Hangmen - Bitter Sweet (Monument, 1967)
    Al Green - Back Up Train (Bell, 1972)
    The Magic Lanterns - Shame Shame (Atlantaic, 1969)
    Otis Redding - The Soul Album (Volt, 1966)

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    double post

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts

Took a mental/physical health day on Friday and traveled out of town to my favorite record store for retail therapy.
    Wendy Rene 45 was on hold for me, needle dropped these middle eastern/lebanese records which were decent. Freakout USA is a decent garage comp, miroslav Vitous and Purdie (sealed) are dupes. Gothic Horizon Jason Lodge Poetry Book LP is a cool folk record top right second pic. The one track available on youtube is the worst one on the album.

Saturday doing some casual browsing I stumbled into JD Blackfoot for extremely cheap!

Sunday Morning I hit the flea markets early and caught up with a guy selling stuff from the estate of a college professor from the Hill District of Pittsburgh and grabbed these blues/jazz LPs and books. LPs look unplayed and were cheap. Never saw this book "I paid my Due" by Babs Gonzales but it looks interesting.

Went to a second flea market which appeared dead at the outside vendors so I ventured inside where things are usually bad and in a pile of records without sleeves and LPs that literally looked like they were burned in a fire was this pristine copy of Noah, apparently never played for a whole USD!

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    billbradley said:

99 cent Goodwill find. The cover is rough but for 99 cents, I couldn't leave it.

:face_melt:

• I know I haven't posted in a minute, but I had a big come up this week. Paid about $20 per LP and all OG.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yeah id say thats a comeup.
    who was sleeping like that? store? dealer?
    i picked up a mint copy of s.o.u.l's 2nd that way. in the bins for $20. i thought "if they knew what it was, it would be more than $20. and if they dont know, why is it $20?" like a dickhead, i asked if i could get it for ten. he said "no, thats hard to find." so i happily paid twenty.

• tripledouble said:
    yeah id say thats a comeup.
    who was sleeping like that? store? dealer?
    i picked up a mint copy of s.o.u.l's 2nd that way. in the bins for $20. i thought "if they knew what it was, it would be more than $20. and if they dont know, why is it $20?" like a dickhead, i asked if i could get it for ten. he said "no, thats hard to find." so i happily paid twenty.

It all came from a private collector who is slowly weeding out his collection. I'm pretty sure he priced the lp's based on the reissue prices he seen on ebay.

• My $4.99 ebay find that arrived today. Vinyl looks unplayed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130861534807

Manduro3000 said:
    I know I haven't posted in a minute, but I had a big come up this week. Paid about $20 per LP and all OG.

W
    T
    F

• crazy come-ups, manduro. congrats!

it's been a decent march for me thanks in large part to other strutteurs:

but this was the real gem - a certain unnamed strutteur kindly and gratutituously included it in my parcel - thanks again, my friend...

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

but this was the real gem - a certain unnamed strutteur kindly and gratutituously included it in my parcel - thanks again, my friend...

Mega sick! Such a great 7.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Not liking this Foster SIlvers.. Haven't listened to the others yet.
    Attached files

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
    One of my long time wants: Creative Arts Ensemble

photo art_zps592cdb65.jpg

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    picked these up today:

Mestre Verequete e Seu Conjunto Uirapuru - O Legitimo Carimb?? - pretty good carimb?? record, rootsy percussion and cavaquinho with the occasional saxophone. Good times.
    Golden Boys s/t (1971) - standard jovem guarda, has some songs that are good in a goofy way (one about raising chickens has some good clucking) and one really nice track called "Bahia Bai??"

With all manuals and posters still in the plastic.

Eggplant Xanadoo said:

I wonder if the gun works on those new TVs...

ppadilha said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:

I wonder if the gun works on those new TVs...

It doesn't wanna work on my LCD. Not sure about plasma.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    picked these up today:

Mestre Verequete e Seu Conjunto Uirapuru - O Legitimo Carimb?? - pretty good carimb?? record, rootsy percussion and cavaquinho with the occasional saxophone. Good times.

They play Banjo in Carimb??, not Cavaquinho. The banjos are built by local artisans.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Pretty solid week so far.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    yo peetz, how is that real ellen mcilwaine LP?
    i ve always loved honky tonk angel and we the people has some great moments but never heard that one

• tripledouble said:
    i ve always loved honky tonk angel and we the people has some great moments but never heard that one

it's on par with those other ones. i have 2 extra copies at the moment, can hook you up with one for a song. saw her a couple of years ago in a crowd of 10 people and she was great, did a bunch of funky things including a great version of "real mother for you".

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    tripledouble said:

I dig it.
    Her version of Higher Ground, (listen above) is killer.
    I'd take crabmonger up on his offer of a cheap copy, doesn't pop up in the States as often as her Polydor stuff does.

MoogMan said:
    ppadilha said:
    picked these up today:

They play Banjo in Carimb??, not Cavaquinho. The banjos are built by local artisans.

yeah, listening to it I wasn't sure what instrument it was, and it doesn't say on the record. The other carimb?? record I have so far is by Pinduca, but his band is mostly guitars, since he plays more guitarrada than carimb??. I'm still hoping I end up in Bel??m at some point so I can stock up on this stuff, rather than buying the odd record that pops up down here...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    yeah, listening to it I wasn't sure what instrument it was, and it doesn't say on the record. The other carimb?? record I have so far is by Pinduca, but his band is mostly guitars, since he plays more guitarrada than carimb??. I'm still hoping I end up in Bel??m at some point so I can stock up on this stuff, rather than buying the odd record that pops up down here...

All the Carimb?? records I have show no information about the band or the instruments.
    I have some friends that went to Par?? a few times to buy Carimb?? and Siri?? records.
    People there already know that they are sought after and charge properly for them.
    Other problem is condition. Due to the weather / humidity most of the covers have
    serious damage or are destroyed. But I think you still can find good stuff there for
    a fair price.

MoogMan said:
    ppadilha said:

All the Carimb?? records I have show no information about the band or the instruments.
    I have some friends that went to Par?? a few times to buy Carimb?? and Siri?? records.
    People there already know that they are sought after and charge properly for them.
    Other problem is condition. Due to the weather / humidity most of the covers have
    serious damage or are destroyed. But I think you still can find good stuff there for
    a fair price.

this Verequete one was relatively cheap and in pretty good shape, and people in Porto Alegre don't seem to care about anything that's not gaucho music or hair metal. The store owner was surprised to know he even had that record. But I've seen records in stores in S??o Paulo that cost as much as imported ones, which is why I figured I would just hold out until I end up visiting a big city in that region. I went to Santar??m last year but didn't get a chance to look for anything...

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    4 sealed copies of The Nite-Liters 'Instrumental Directions' randomly turned up in my local charity shop. Since the shop is just outside of Dublin, Ireland I'd love to know how these found there way there since it's been mentioned in another thread that Ireland is pretty terrible for records.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I love finding sealed copies of records that are 30-40 years old.

Welcome to Soul Strut btw.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts
    Thanks man, I've been lurking for years but that's about the only note worthy thing record wise that's happened in a long time. The biggest mystery is how those records ended up here. They're not reissues and have cut outs on them. Bizarre.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    When is "Thriller" Off The Wall?

When you take it down to put the battery in?

Bonus pts if you can guess the one on the left just by the eye.