Timberlake

DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
New album streaming here.

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    if I'm Robin Thicke I'm kinda feeling like my style got took here, no?

• if I'm Robin Thicke I'm kinda feeling like my style [del] got took here, no[/del] was birthed by justin timberlake, and i have him to thank for my career

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He's done.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    if I'm Robin Thicke I'm kinda feeling like my style [del] got took here, no[/del] was birthed by justin timberlake, and i have him to thank for my career

we remember things differently. I recall JT going solo about the same time as Thicke came out, and I daresay he didn't have the same grown n sexy thing going on then that he does now (that was Thicke's schtick at the time, and he does it way, way better than JT could ever hope to).

but I will most definitely defer to the JT fans on this one; I don't pretend to count myself among you.

Thicke - Blake Griffin
    JT - Kris Humphries

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    First impressions; it's kinda boring. Too many of the songs seem like weak or half-decent ideas stretched out for far too long. There's a serious shortage of memorable hooks, let alone killer ones - for a dude whose lingua franca is, essentially, pop music, that's a pretty serious problem.

On the positive side, the vocal production is amazing and it sounds lush throughout. Parts of it sound like Lewis Taylor-lite, which I ain't mad at, but which at the same time I have absolutely no need for.

DocMcCoy said:
    Parts of it sound like Lewis Taylor-lite.

Oh Shit.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    batmon said:
    He's done.

Hilarious Clinton.

I haven't heard anything other than the singles, but my guess is, with most of the songs being 7-8 minutes long (as I've read), this album will live on through numerous radio- and club-friendly remixes scattered throughout Soundcloudland, maybe with some of 'em even being officially sanctioned.

Herm said:
    I haven't heard anything other than the singles, but my guess is, with most of the songs being 7-8 minutes long (as I've read), this album will live on through numerous radio- and club-friendly remixes scattered throughout Soundcloudland, maybe with some of 'em even being officially sanctioned.

This is better than the Aeroplane remix but, much as I like Four Tet, this sounds like more of a DJ tool for his club sets as it does an actual remix.

DocMcCoy said:
    a DJ tool for his club sets

And as soon as I get my hands on a DL link, it shall be one of mine too! Ha ha. Thanks!

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    I like of them as simply one, Bieberlake.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    That Four Tet remix is fire!

• The album seems like it should be titled Really Grown and Sexy.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    parallax said:
    That Four Tet remix is fire!

Does nothing for me. Doesn't go anywhere. Just irritating vocal chop-downs over typewriters.

I don't think JT is done but he's really short on songs at the mo.

J i m s t e r said:

I don't think JT is done but he's really short on songs at the mo.

The pre-publicity quotes him as saying something like; "If Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin and Queen can do ten-minute songs, why can't I? We can worry about the radio edits later."

And that's what it sounds like - a perfectly serviceable popstar with a tremendous voice making the cardinal error of confusing noodly self-indulgence and a failure to self-edit with boundary-pushing innovation. It does improve after a few plays, but no way is it even seeing Justified or FSLS. Too many of the songs sound like an afterthought, and at times it seems as if everyone's attention has been focused on coming up with a capital-G game-changer at the expense of the artist's strengths. As for Timbo, whether or not you think he fell off after he shifted his focus from rap and r&b to mainstream pop-rock, I think most people would agree that no matter how far out he went in the past, shit always knocked. This doesn't.

Yeah, I saw that Floyd and Zeppelin preamble somewhere, and he was also namechecking Dylan. Quite the change from the days of his move-busting and eye-twinkling youth.

It would be OK if these songs actually took you on a journey a la Rhapsody and dem, but that bar is quite high up, and I don't think JT, talented lad that he is, has developed his artistic Fosbury Flop to that standard. Where is the quality control? Seems ironic to me that his best tunes are still present in his less-serious "Pop" canon.

He should have, at least, ran it by a Neptune, just for friendly advice...

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Without having heard the album, I am crossing my fingers for Timberlake's take on "No Quarter"!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Colour me disappointed. Only listened through the once and there were a couple of tracks which I think may reward revisiting but it's one of those time where you can sense where he was looking to go with this and almost measure where he's fallen up short.

It's not a bad album just very underwhelming if you're going to return to making music after such a gap.

Also, could really have done with some one other than J-Roc collaborating with Timbaland. The big man has got way too comfortable in his lane and sorely lacking in that spark.

The Gruaniad bleks it with a non-committal 3 stars:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/14/justin-timberlake-2020-experience-review

There's a terrible moment midway through Strawberry Bubblegum, where the listener slowly becomes aware that "strawberry bubblegum" appears to be a metaphor for his partner's vagina. Timberlake is a young man recently married, and he's entitled to celebrate that any way he chooses, although you do wonder if the lady wouldn't prefer, say, a bunch of flowers to a song, broadcast to millions, comparing her vagina to a piece of Hubba-Bubba. At least he dishes out something similar to himself: his penis apparently resembles a "blueberry lollipop", which suggests he needs to get a doctor to look at it. That sounds like a symptom of a serious circulation problem.

It's a bold soul that claims this kind of thing doesn't mar their enjoyment of The 20/20 Experience: it's definitely harder to concentrate on the rich inventiveness of the sound when there's a man comparing his wife's vagina to some bubblegum in a falsetto voice over the top of it. Equally, it would be churlish to claim it ruins it. Despite its flaws, The 20/20 Experience is a genuinely adventurous pop album in a world of will-this-do?

I can take some imagery away with me from this, at least.

comparing his wife's vagina to some bubblegum in a falsetto voice

LOC of the year (so far)

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    comparing his wife's vagina to some bubblegum in a falsetto voice

LMSYRT of the year (forever)

I sense JT has BROKEN THE DEAL in your eyes.

Which is better than busting a nut, yes?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    He's never been my cup of tea - or favourite type of candy - there was never an offer on the table.

I do love pistachios however. And Frangelico in my coffee.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    The Gruaniad bleks it with a non-committal 3 stars:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/mar/14/justin-timberlake-2020-experience-review

There's a terrible moment midway through Strawberry Bubblegum, where the listener slowly becomes aware that "strawberry bubblegum" appears to be a metaphor for his partner's vagina. Timberlake is a young man recently married, and he's entitled to celebrate that any way he chooses, although you do wonder if the lady wouldn't prefer, say, a bunch of flowers to a song, broadcast to millions, comparing her vagina to a piece of Hubba-Bubba. At least he dishes out something similar to himself: his penis apparently resembles a "blueberry lollipop", which suggests he needs to get a doctor to look at it. That sounds like a symptom of a serious circulation problem.

It's a bold soul that claims this kind of thing doesn't mar their enjoyment of The 20/20 Experience: it's definitely harder to concentrate on the rich inventiveness of the sound when there's a man comparing his wife's vagina to some bubblegum in a falsetto voice over the top of it. Equally, it would be churlish to claim it ruins it. Despite its flaws, The 20/20 Experience is a genuinely adventurous pop album in a world of will-this-do?

I can take some imagery away with me from this, at least.

And hey, the writer buttoning up all the way to the top!

I noticed man was one "h" away from being Petridish.

sooo close...

Amphibious, if you're reading this... Can I get a Whiskey Barons remix of "Let The Groove Get In?"

(This is one of those times I wish I could tag a Strutter's name.)

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Timberlake gets a lifetime pass from me for his involvement in the Barry Gibb Talk Show skits on SNL.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    how is his standing with the Neighborhood Elders?--what's the halflife of Janet Starnipple Black Community Sellout fallout?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Given it another listen through and am feeling it more the second time around. In fact I'd say the middle part of the album is genuinely strong and will get a fair bit of love round these parts.

Also, I know that a) Petridis has to create a certain amount of copy and b) it's the Guardian but was it really worth spending that much of the review talking about the sexual imagery in one song? Would they prefer he write about some homosexual experience or express his misery about the plight of homeless children in a ham fisted fashion? It's pop RnB, that's what it is and what it does.