Purdie or Muhammad?

tabiratabira 856 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
I'm an Idris man myself. I realise that all the prestige joints I keep coming back to have him on them (same for CTI and Kudu too). It's a less is more thing - less hi hat, less bass drum - but right where it matters.

now agree with me

Comments

• MR_ZIMMSMR_ZIMMS 210 Posts
    Listen to Purdie's share on Aretha's "Rock Steady" & you will recognize the same style of drumming as on numerous Prestige recordings or pop / rock tracks he's featured on.
    On the other hand, Idris can fool you by playing jazz in that way you'll never recognize Idris in the song...
    That Idris Muhammad & Joe Lovano cd on Cannonball Records for instance, drums & sax only & enjoyable from start to finish. So my vote: Muhammad

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    MR_ZIMMS said:
    Listen to Purdie's share on Aretha's "Rock Steady" & you will recognize the same style of drumming as on numerous Prestige recordings or pop / rock tracks he's featured on.
    On the other hand, Idris can fool you by playing jazz in that way you'll never recognize Idris in the song...
    That Idris Muhammad & Joe Lovano cd on Cannonball Records for instance, drums & sax only & enjoyable from start to finish. So my vote: Muhammad

yeah I was surprised to discover Idris drummed on Walter Bishop's Coral Keys when I finally bothered to read the line up years after buying it. I can tell him a mile away with the funky stuff but not when he's doing it straight ahead when he really blends in.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Just 'cos Idris throws some curveballs, Purdie is more doggie-tail-pounding-the-floor. Both great players.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Dollar Brand y'all.

Idris if only for Lorans Dance.
    TMSRT

• PattrickPattrick 57 Posts
    Ronnie Verrall.

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Purdie by a hair for his playing on this one...
    Attached files

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    jones

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, Idris has styles upon styles but Purdie fixed all the Beatles records.

• can't choose one over the other, both could play it all and did. idris did have better solo records though.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    volumen said:

I always found it really odd that any drummer let alone one as proficient as Purdie would choose The Beatles to steal the credit from. I mean they were at the top of their game in almost every department except drumming. It's like stealing the credit from Kenny G for his searching improvisation.

• tabira said:
    volumen said:

I always found it really odd that any drummer let alone one as proficient as Purdie would choose The Beatles to steal the credit from. I mean they were at the top of their game in almost every department except drumming. It's like stealing the credit from Kenny G for his searching improvisation.

so have purdie's bealtes claims been thoroughly debunked.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    tabira said:
    volumen said:

I was surprised just to hear that he was even serious about it in the first place. When I first heard of it I assumed it was tasteless swipe intended to point out the gulf between his talents and Ringo's.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    delete - double

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    tabira said:
    volumen said:

Purdie says it was just him and a producer and engineer adding a drum track in the studio and everybody was paid to shut up. If to be believed he's the only one still alive that was there so it's pretty convenient for his story. I think someone showed how it was unlikely that any Beatles people would have even been in the states at the time due to some promo tour in Europe or something. The chemtrails and making it all fuzzy............

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I'm partial to Joanna Lumley, but she doesn't have experience and influence of the prophet. Both should settle it with a drum battle.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    i often wonder and hope it was bernard playing on tomorrow never knows

i love them both but will vote james black for the king foil and clyde for the same spot as idris and bernard

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    volumen said:
    Purdie says it was just him and a producer and engineer adding a drum track in the studio and everybody was paid to shut up. If to be believed he's the only one still alive that was there so it's pretty convenient for his story. I think someone showed how it was unlikely that any Beatles people would have even been in the states at the time due to some promo tour in Europe or something. The chemtrails and making it all fuzzy............

A number of people have written about the factors that make Purdie's story improbable at best.

I don't buy it either. A lot of his claims just don't add up, like the one that Brian Epstein brought him in for the sessions, with only a couple of other people around. Given the limitations of technology at the time, and George Martin's attention to detail, there's no way that could have been done behind his back without him noticing the difference in the finished product upon hearing it later. There's also the fact that Purdie claims it was done at Capitol... except the earliest Beatles US releases were not on Capitol (nor were the UK releases), meaning that for some of the songs in question, which had already been released at the time he claims the sessions took place, the drums on the Capitol versions would be different from the previously released ones (they're not, obviously).

He's been saying for who knows how many years that the details will be in his autobiography. That'll be interesting, if it ever happens.

One of the best drummers out there, to be sure, and definitely contributed to a lot of famous recordings, but I think he went too far with this one.

So as much as I enjoy Purdie, maybe I have to go with Idris, based on that alone.

• Idris for his Blue Notes under his real name Leroy Morris on top of his later works

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    soulcitizen said:
    Idris for his Blue Notes under his real name Leroy Morris on top of his later works

It was all downhill after Blueberry Hill for me.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I prefer Idris' swing.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    tabira said:
    volumen said:

They were never bunked to begin with. Chemtrails-level nonsensical.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Chemtrails-level nonsensical.

• i wish idris had recorded in more pop type of settings. huge fan of his playing on "feel like making love" and eugene mcdaniel's "natural juices"...does anyone have the video of roberta flack performing live i guess from that album with a huge ass orchestra with idris in the middle?

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    I prefer Idris' swing.

Me too. I notice often when it breaks down to Purdie, his drumming is almost too exactly 'on' for me, almost cold and machine like. Obviously he's an incredible drummer but I just enjoy Idris's playing more.

Edit- I saw idris's play with Ahmad Jamal in 2003, he walked onto stage fully hunched and slowly- an old man - but as soon as he sat behind the drums he played with the energy of a 25 year old.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Idris also wins on background groaning. If like me you've spun Loran's Dance ?? zillion times you'll know what I mean.

:feelin_it:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    The one from New Orleans of course.

• At the moment Muhammed, been listening to his solo joints a lot lately.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I'm usually partial to Idris myself...but you gotta admit Pretty Purdie goes HAM on this one:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I ride for Purdie, baddest shuffle drummer of all time.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    cai said:
    I notice often when it breaks down to Purdie, his drumming is almost too exactly 'on' for me.

Purdie is all about being in the pocket, Idris can move in and out of the pocket with equal skill.

Idris on versatility alone.