March Finds

spirit_of_66spirit_of_66 104 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
These are mostly Jan/Feb highlights but I felt inspired after getting the "Oh How It Hurts" LP in the mail yesterday. The dead of winter is slow for record hunting around here as I don't have the flea market until mid-March. In desperation I go hunting on eBay, which is often disappointing w/r/t condition, but I really got a winner w/ that Barbara Mason...$25 BIN, I had myself convinced it was gonna be the reissue, but it's the real deal and in beautiful condition.

On the topic of Archie Bell & the Drells--my bro got me the Tighten Up re-ish for Xmas and I was really blown away by side 2. Incredible that "A Thousand Wonders" was only issued on 45 in Spain and "When You Left Heartache Began" never appeared on a 45 at all--I think they're the two best Archie Bell tunes I've heard.

Checked some long time 45 wants off the list, but the one that's probably impressed me the most is Latimore's "Girl I Got News For You" which I got in a trade. Anyone know what year that came out? IMO it has a really "ahead of its time" sound.

Comments

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Nice Jon Lucien, great record it's on my wants list. I have nothing to show.. yet

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    some quick pick-ups this weekend

• exte82exte82 202 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    A couple from this week...

afro-disco 12" promo raer

Unknown soul acetate.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Unreleased Pree Sisters LP acetate.

• The white one is a test-pressing of Sopwith Camel, "The Miraculous Hump Returns from the Moon".
    Attached files

• billbradley said:
    A couple from this week...

afro-disco 12" promo raer

Damn, I didn't know there was a 12" of this. I've dropped the LP version a few times.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    Went to Spitafields yesterday and the to Flashback.

Was a couple of guys selling parts of their collections to fund impending babies. Manages to pick up a few long time wants:

Rabbit Rumba - Super rare Spanish rumba funk LP reissued a few years back by Wah Wah. Condition here is a bit of an issue but none the less a great LP!

Dia Prometido - ST - This is an odd one. An Iranian duo who recorded a coiple of LP's in Spain. Most tracks are covers played with a mix of Western and Iranian instruments.

Mike Westbrook - Metropolis - Long time UK jazz want!

Baltik - Swedish funky fusion with some proggy bits thrown in!

Greasy Truckers Live at Dingwalls - Bought this for the Gong side. Will report back once I've checked it out1

Wess and the Airedales - Great Italian popcorn funk!

Willie Henderson and the Soul Explosions - Funky Chicken - 70's funk!

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    These three ??1 each in the sale at Barnet Oxfam yesterday (wonder what the very pleased-with-himself lookin' Jon Handy's playing's like?).
    Got a lot of good things from this place over the last year, inc some nice Messiaen and Poulenc from the dumped Middlesexx Uni library and enjoyable items of Monk, Miles and Woody Shaw. Gonna miss Barnet (now in Stockwell).

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    granjero said:
    These three ??1 each in the sale at Barnet Oxfam yesterday (wonder what the very pleased-with-himself lookin' Jon Handy's playing's like?).
    Got a lot of good things from this place over the last year, inc some nice Messiaen and Poulenc from the dumped Middlesexx Uni library and enjoyable items of Monk, Miles and Woody Shaw. Gonna miss Barnet (now in Stockwell).

John Handy is a superb player, really enjoy his 60's records. that one, i think, has Michael White playing violin or viola and it's pretty unique/interesting. the group is excellent too.

• IFBIFB 29 Posts
    What's the deal with the Lam II and the Rita & Sakura? Any stand-out tracks?

toby.d said:

granjero said:

John Handy is a superb player, really enjoy his 60's records. that one, i think, has Michael White playing violin or viola and it's pretty unique/interesting. the group is excellent too.

He sure is! And I love the instrumentation. Michael White is cookin' on violin.
    Really enjoyed listening to this last night.
    It's a real pleasure hearing something new which you previously had no idea about. Will be checking for John Handy in the future.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Rishan said:
    granjero said:

It's a real pleasure hearing something new which you previously had no idea about. Will be checking for John Handy in the future.

i can thoroughly recommend his 'Live at Monterey' set. there is a third lp on Columbia which is very similar to this one and 'Projections'. i also have a couple of his lp's on Roulette, very nice, especially one called 'No Coast Jazz', but probably my favourite by him is an lp called 'New View' from about '67 with Bobby Hutcherson and Pat Martino.

granjero said:
    Rishan said:
    granjero said:

i can thoroughly recommend his 'Live at Monterey' set. there is a third lp on Columbia which is very similar to this one and 'Projections'. i also have a couple of his lp's on Roulette, very nice, especially one called 'No Coast Jazz', but probably my favourite by him is an lp called 'New View' from about '67 with Bobby Hutcherson and Pat Martino.

Thanks, man. Will definitely look them out, especially New View.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    Rishan said:
    granjero said:
    Rishan said:
    granjero said:

Thanks, man. Will definitely look them out, especially New View.

no worries man. he was a new discovery for me as well a few years ago. indeed, love it when that happens!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    llmod1 said:
    Went to Spitafields yesterday and the to Flashback.

Love this album, one of the harder to find David Axelrod productions

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    did that miriam makeba get an american pressing?
    its one of the only axe records ive never had

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    did that miriam makeba get an american pressing?
    its one of the only axe records ive never had

Pretty sure it didn't.

Not really an Axlerod production, though, I think he just did some arrangements. .

doesnt that still have the desired effect of axelrodification?

• axelrod did the post-production string arrangments on a couple tracks but caiphus semenya was producer.. great record.

• double

• JasonH5JasonH5 12 Posts
    My friend recently got me into collecting 45s!

crabcrab, both those tracks sound great!
    i'll keep my eyes out for a copy

99 cent Goodwill find. The cover is rough but for 99 cents, I couldn't leave it.

ive actually had good luck with that at thrift stores over the years. and its always mixed in with some dumb shit.
    i sometimes wondered if it had to do with being on Kapp, a label that seemed to pump out made-for-thrift-store chud

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    ive actually had good luck with that at thrift stores over the years. and its always mixed in with some dumb shit.
    i sometimes wondered if it had to do with being on Kapp, a label that seemed to pump out made-for-thrift-store chud

Me too.
    Still have the same thrashed cover version that i bought at a thrift 10+ years ago.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I never gave it much thought, but looking at the cover just now by itself, perhaps people bought it thinking it was gonna be some schmaltz (a la Astro Sounds) and then had it sit in their records until a thrift store got it.