any of you been told you have a drinking problem?

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited August 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
i don't drink that often (once/twice a week?), and when i go out to dinner i'm usually a 1-2 beer/drink drinker. but when i go out to the bar, or to a party it's every man for himself (not to be sexist). last friday night, after about 8 martinis, i walked down the street with a large group of friends to another, more upscale bar, to keep it going. as i walked to the restroom, i somehow found myself in the wine celler of this artsy place, so naturally, i decided to give my sommelier skillz a refresher, and i took a bottle of wine back out onto the floor, under my arm as if i were going to pour it professionally. one-minute later, i was 86'd!? what the fuck? i'm almost 29, and have to be really responsible half of the time... what should i do with the other half? while i thought that whole thing was really funny, some of the more uppity folks i was rolling with are still pissed, but seriously, how many cosmopolitans can one person drink anyway?

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    ::waiting for DjFerrari to chime in on this one::

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

yes, weekly.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

yes, nightly[/b].

My bartender says I'm fine.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it sucks, because although i never get hurt/incarcerated, i'll climb telephone poles, do cartwheels with the flow of traffic, you know, jump over car hoods and all that shit. c'mon where's AP?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i decided to give my sommelier skillz a refresher, and i took a bottle of wine back out onto the floor, under my arm as if i were going to pour it professionally. one-minute later, i was 86'd!? what the fuck?

you might have a dumb-ass problem... (sorry...)

seriously tho, doing dumb ass shit like getting kicked out of bars for stealing bottles, or tips, or pulling your pants down, or getting in fights over nothing, etc shouldn't happen past a certain age... and i'd say 29 is past it...

nothing wrong with boozing it up, just hold your liquor a bit better...

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    ::waiting for DjFerrari to chime in on this one::

Ooh... ouch

Haha, yeah, I'm a boozer for sure, but I don't have a problem. I maybe, maybe drink twice a week. I'm 25 and work hard and play hard, plain and simple. I've certainly never been told I have a problem because I'm the farthest towards the moderate end of the spectrum for my group of friends. I've told some of them they may have a problem some day, but it's never come back to me. You've seen me on a couple of my drunker evenings... usually I'm more chill so I can spit game without falling on myself! In fact, I seem to recall a wasted Arcadian at a DJ Ferrari show swigging vodka right out of the bottle. Hmmm...

A related question... does anyone else have a hard time adjusting to the fact that you can't drink as much as you used to? I'm a couple years out of college and could take down a ridiculous amount of booze and be fine, but now I have a couple beers and I'm already feeling it.

DJ Ferrari

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    i don't drink that often (once/twice a week?), and when i go out to dinner i'm usually a 1-2 beer/drink drinker. but when i go out to the bar, or to a party it's every man for himself (not to be sexist). last friday night, after about 8 martinis, i walked down the street with a large group of friends to another, more upscale bar, to keep it going. as i walked to the restroom, i somehow found myself in the wine celler of this artsy place, so naturally, i decided to give my sommelier skillz a refresher, and i took a bottle of wine back out onto the floor, under my arm as if i were going to pour it professionally. one-minute later, i was 86'd!? what the fuck? i'm almost 29, and have to be really responsible half of the time... what should i do with the other half? while i thought that whole thing was really funny, some of the more uppity folks i was rolling with are still pissed, but seriously, how many cosmopolitans can one person drink anyway?
    Unless you really feel like drinking is killing your personal life your cool..... Don't sweat them upiddy folks that can't hang with you getting kicked out of that bar. They are going through some phase where they think they are grown and sexy...

In fact, I seem to recall a wasted Arcadian at a DJ Ferrari show swigging vodka right out of the bottle. Hmmm...

Forgot about that

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    I hate to break it to you man but it sounds like you are a binge drinker, which supposidley is much more unhealthy for you (mentaly if not physicaly) than being a person who drinks a few drinks on a daily basis. I'm really not the one to tell anyone they have a problem though. We asd Americans are way to puritanical bout drinking. I drink an average of 5 beers a night and fell that is normal.

i decided to give my sommelier skillz a refresher, and i took a bottle of wine back out onto the floor, under my arm as if i were going to pour it professionally. one-minute later, i was 86'd!? what the fuck?

you might have a dumb-ass problem... (sorry...)

seriously tho, doing dumb ass shit like getting kicked out of bars for stealing bottles, or tips, or pulling your pants down, or getting in fights over nothing, etc shouldn't happen past a certain age... and i'd say 29 is past it...

nothing wrong with boozing it up, just hold your liquor a bit better...
    word on all that. i'd never steal someone's tips (no matter how drunk), but i feel you... maybe the pulling down of the pants thing every once in a while, but that happens more often when i'm sober.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    maybe the pulling down of the pants thing every once in a while, but that happens more often when i'm sober.

ZING!

it sucks, because although i never get hurt/incarcerated, i'll climb telephone poles, do cartwheels with the flow of traffic, you know, jump over car hoods and all that shit.

i feel this, get 3 40s in me and a couple friends and were spidermanin it up the side of buildings, busting in our friends apartments uninvited, breaking their headphone collection and grabbing their roommates titties.

maybe the pulling down of the pants thing every once in a while, but that happens more often when i'm sober.

ZING!
    no chr*s, i was talking about those times i pulled down YOUR[/b] pants.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    dawgz,

that top shelf vodka will do it. i can breeze through a gang of kettle one and not even realize i'm drunk till i bust my ass trying to do kickflips outside the club. i'm a pretty happy drunk, but if i had a bad week or bad day it really comes out when i'm on that drank. I've realized recently, that i have a drinking problem and i need to do something about it before it become a serious problem. i've seen a few friends fall off the edge, and i aint tryin to go out that way. i always tell myself, "one drink, tom...ok, two drinks two drinks",.. then it's over. i cant be in a social situation w/out a drink in hand. i quit smoking, why cant i quit drinking??? it's just so sweet when it hits your lips.

Yes.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

ZING!
    no chr*s, i was talking about those times i pulled down
    YOUR[/b] pants.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I drink an average of two tall cans[/b] a night and feel that is normal.

i think that KARLITO and DELAY are on the real. seriously, does it take some real world incident to wake up to this or what? i did a 12step program when i was really young, but became bored/frustrated not knowing if all that shit really applied to me. my mom has a therapist friend that said to me, "if you still use drugs (any kind i guess, but she was talking about weed, particularly) or drink to excess, recreationally even, past 27yrs old, you have a problem". this girl that i've been friends with since i was 14 just sent me an email saying that we can't hang out anymore due to what happened with the wine bottle. while i only see her once every 18months or so, it still sort of shook me. all jokes aside it's something i've been thinking about for a few days, and has even gotten me into some trouble here on soulstrut. thanks for the input, you guys are the real deal.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i cant be in a social situation w/out a drink in hand.

it's true, a drink or two makes uncomfortable social situations MUCH more bearable... after three glasses of wine, even the wackest art opening is ok...

i was out of control a while back when i was djing 5 times a week... when you're in some shitty place on a weds, there's hardly anybody there, and you look at your watch and you have 4 hours left, what else are you going to do but drink? and it's free... i would be waking up hungover every day... certain nights i'd be like, i'm just going to drink cokes, but by midnight, it was rum n cokes... basically for me, it was about keeping myself out of drinking situations... i.e. if a social situation is going to be that much worse w/o a drink, i'll tend to avoid it (or go with friends, so i don't feel as umcomfortable...)

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i think that KARLITO and DELAY are on the real. seriously, does it take some real world incident to wake up to this or what? i did a 12step program when i was really young, but became bored/frustrated not knowing if all that shit really applied to me. my mom has a therapist friend that said to me, "if you still use drugs (any kind i guess, but she was talking about weed, particularly) or drink to excess, recreationally even, past 27yrs old, you have a problem". this girl that i've been friends with since i was 14 just sent me an email saying that we can't hang out anymore due to what happened with the wine bottle. while i only see her once every 18months or so, it still sort of shook me. all jokes aside it's something i've been thinking about for a few days, and has even gotten me into some trouble here on soulstrut. thanks for the input, you guys are the real deal.

its just about being responsible, know your limits, its not like you were meaning to hurt anyone or their time, sure you were out of line, but true friends dont play you like that. i dont really want to get into ANOTHER friends discussion, but if you apologized and they cant get over it, its on them. imo

• kemskems 120 Posts

yes, weekly.

Every damn weekend!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    i cant be in a social situation w/out a drink in hand.

it's true, a drink or two makes uncomfortable social situations MUCH more bearable... after three glasses of wine, even the wackest art opening is ok...

Hi guys! I am so keeping my mouth shut on this one!!! I was gonna make a comp CD based on records left behind the decks by (drunken) guest DJs. Boot's Groove was on there.

• All I can say, is that after the last party I went to, I am now no longer allowed to make my infamous 'memory-loss' Margaritas.

• I love[/b] drinking (ask my SF Strutter dudes). I don't give a shit what folks say, I'm happy when I'm with good folks, good music, eye candy etc....

Actually i'm hungover right now.

I also tried Jim Bean for the first time on Saturday. That shit was crazy.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    All I can say, is that after the last party I went to, I am now no longer allowed to make my infamous 'memory-loss' Margaritas.

RecipeStrut request...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I love[/b] drinking (ask my SF Strutter dudes). I don't give a shit what folks say, I'm happy when I'm with good folks, good music, eye candy etc....

Yo, I heard you and Ross both had a serious drinking problem--not that you drank excessively or anything like that, but that your drink of choice was the apple martini.

• your drink of choice was the apple martini.

NO YOU ARE THINKING OF GUZZO

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I love[/b] drinking (ask my SF Strutter dudes). I don't give a shit what folks say, I'm happy when I'm with good folks, good music, eye candy etc....

How is that you're one of the only SF strutters I haven't met yet?

DJ Ferrari

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    your drink of choice was the apple martini.

NO YOU ARE THINKING OF GUZZO

Uh-oh.

Haven't we both been spoken to about keeping Guzzle's name out our mouth (bitch)?

• I love[/b] drinking (ask my SF Strutter dudes). I don't give a shit what folks say, I'm happy when I'm with good folks, good music, eye candy etc....

How is that you're one of the only SF strutters I haven't met yet?

DJ Ferrari

easy, you're making Faux_Rillz jealous. He's been trying to holler for two weeks and he just doesn't get the hint.