HEADPHONES

Skip DrinkwaterSkip Drinkwater 1,694 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I'm looking into a new pair for production/mixing purposes only (not looking for DJ phones or studio tracking use). Based on recommendations, I've narrowed it down to the AKG K-240, Sony MDR-7506, & the Sennheiser HD-280. I'd appreciate any feedback from owners of any of these models along with any other recommendations.

My main concerns are accurate hi's (I've heard the Sony's tend to exaggerate them), lo's that aren't muffled, comfort (I read some reviews for the AKG's that said they tend to exhaust the ears), and durability.

Comments

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    i've used the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II, not the same model you're looking for, but in the same line and price range. I loved em. Very comfortable, really detailed sound and definitely not exaggerated.
    I'm actually debating on getting a pair of these or Grado SR 225i's.

• Yeah, I've been partial to Sennheiser in the past, but I've heard a lot of good things about both the AKG & Sony model's I mentioned.

Skip Drinkwater said:
    Yeah, I've been partial to Sennheiser in the past, but I've heard a lot of good things about both the AKG & Sony model's I mentioned.

ditto...i'm curious myself

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    my experience has been (these are generalization based on my experience)

sennheisers are the most accurate reproduction of sound, which may sound dead to some people. they may especially sound dead in the mid-range without the use of amplification.

grado's are very bright, especially in the highs.

akg to me are the closest to sennheisers without being sennheisers, i dont view them as highly, i do think that they have very good sound staging.

sonys are sonys, i dunno they are fine. i know certain people swear by them as far as mastering. i have no idea.

• I"ve had my Sony MDR-7506 for years and years. I love them and the sound. I've never had a problem with anything. I''ve banged them dropped them etc... I use them probably way more than most would and they're like the day i bought them. I can only speak for them though. Don't know much about the others.

i only hear great things about those Sony's, but I've never heard anyone compare them toe to toe with the Sennheiser's, Grado's or AKG's, etc.
    they're obviously durable and the sound is great at that price point, but I'm wondering if they still hang with the high-end joints

• +1 on the sony's.
    thats what i use and have grown very used to, but all of the model's mentioned have their faults. once you put in a lot of time listening and mixing with any decent pair of studio moniter headphones you'll learn what you need to do in the mix to make up for their indiscrepencies. just takes time

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    anyone know how the bass compare between the ones mentioned? im used to making beats with dj headphones (pioneer se dj5000). and im not sure if i ever will be able to do beats on "hifi" headphones but i do want new headphones. any pointers on bass-heavy headphones would be welcome.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I need some new DJ headphones and the main requirement is that they can fold "flat" (i.e. I can turn the cans 90 degrees). The Technics DJ-200As come to mind but wanted to see what else was out there (preferably sub-$100) that I should look into?

Overall sound quality isn't a big deal. I don't need studio clarity; these are strictly for DJing.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I have a pair of Sony MDR V-500. They get the job done but, more importantly, they can really take a beating.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Anyone have a pair they like for just listening to around the house? Not for studio or DJ use. I'm a morning person and the wife is not, so I spend a good amount of morning hours with headphones on. Price isn't much of an issue, but I do appreciate value. I've been using the same $100 pair of Sony's for the last 15 years and would like to upgrade.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i recently got these audio-technica headphones for listening on the subway/street and so far have been very pleased. there are models from the $30 to $150 range, too, if you want something slightly better/cheaper.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    I need some new DJ headphones and the main requirement is that they can fold "flat" (i.e. I can turn the cans 90 degrees). The Technics DJ-200As come to mind but wanted to see what else was out there (preferably sub-$100) that I should look into?

Overall sound quality isn't a big deal. I don't need studio clarity; these are strictly for DJing.

I don't know the technics but the sony 7506 or v6's (same thing) that have been mentioned over and over in this thread fold in on themselves and can definitely take a beating.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    Just copped the Grado 325is...not that impressed.

Uncomfortable, loud though.

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    I'm just mixing on apple 5 ear buds lately or a big jam box.

Shits gonna eventually end up there anyway no matter how many vintage consoles and tube amps you use.

soup said:

I don't know the technics but the sony 7506 or v6's (same thing) that have been mentioned over and over in this thread fold in on themselves and can definitely take a beating.

the ones I have are these

from working on documentaries and taking them everywhere, I found they can take more of a beating than the v6's. But that's been from checking out equipment from places where other people who used it didn't give a fuck, so if you're the least bit careful the v6's can last a long time.

for everyday home use I have a pair of Grado SR-80s, it's what I use when I have to spend 10 hours a day editing video, and I it use for listening to music sometimes. I like open-backed headphones for that since I find they don't tire the ear as much after several hours. For the Grados you can buy the SR-60 cups that provide more padding, the ones that come standard with most of their models aren't very comfortable and will start falling apart quickly anyway.

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    For mixing and studio use I really like my Beyer dynamic DT770, great sound and very comfortable with the velvety padding. These guys also block out a lot of sound which would be good for DJing. The Senn 280's probably block out more but don't sound nearly as good to my ears.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I should have clarified: by "folding flat" I mean that you can flip the cans 90 degrees and therefore, reduce the overall width narrow enough to fit into, say, an LP box. My current Sonys (V600) collapse into a big fist-sized ball but I can't pack that easily because it takes up too much horizontal space, regardless of how you try to store it.

The V500 looks promising except, having owned Sonys for 10+ years, I do find it annoying how the vinyl on the cans eventually flake off and get everywhere. That might just be endemic to all these headphones though rather that specific to Sony.

The more I look at the Technics DJ1200A headphones, they don't seem to fold up flat so those are out. Thanks again.

One question about the Sony V500s: given the swivel points, those things are brittle at all? I'm just remembering my bad experiences with those "silver" joints (V800?) there were hot for like a minute until everyone realized how crappy the construction was.

mannybolone said:
    One question about the Sony V500s: given the swivel points, those things are brittle at all? I'm just remembering my bad experiences with those "silver" joints (V800?) there were hot for like a minute until everyone realized how crappy the construction was.

the V500 is more solidly built than those silver ones. I've seen the v6's break pretty easily too, with the phones sliding out of that top part. And I know what you're talking about with the padding crumbling off. Honestly, I haven't had the V500s long enough to see that happen but I think that's just par for the course when it comes to foam anything. Some companies sell replacement pads for the phones though, not sure if Sony does that.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    mannybolone said:

I loved those silver ones, but that super-brittle swivel point was a showstopper flaw. The first time it happened, I thought it was just a weird fluke (it also happened at a gig when another DJ was using my headphones--I figured the guy had just busted them up somehow), but then it happened again...and then I got a pair of V500s, and it happened again. So I stepped to those MDR-V6s and never looked back.

But I should also point out that the swivel point breakage on the V500s happened years ago (I wanna say 2004ish), and they may have actually stepped up and fixed the problem since then.

I've always been super paranoid about these things, but the V500s look fairly solid. I think some people are just more prone to breaking shit for some reason. When I was a kid there was always that one friend who I'd lend a toy to and it would come back in 5 pieces. Just the other day my wife, who normally has a hard time opening a soda bottle, managed to dismantle an ironing board while attempting to fold it. If you're careful with your things you'll get lots of mileage out of either headphone.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    having owned Sonys for 10+ years, I do find it annoying how the vinyl on the cans eventually flake off and get everywhere. That might just be endemic to all these headphones though rather that specific to Sony.

For the v6's and 7506's you can ball out and get velour ear pads and dead the 'dude, you got a big ass bug on your ear' comments.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Avoid the Sony's as much as possible. The swivel on the V500 is cheap plastic garbage & it will likely break at some point. Which means that you have to buy a new pair which is what they probably count on. I still have a pair of them that I can't use anymore because of a that & it can't be fixed (if you tape it up it just becomes stiff & uncomfortable). I know of plenty of other people that have had problems with Sony in general.
    Invest in the Sennheiser HD 25's they're worth it. Sound quality is excellent, they're lightweight, comfortable, very good isolation, & they have replaceable parts. Most headphones end up cutting out on one chanel at some point. The beauty of the Sennheiser is that they sell replacement cables. I've got the HD 25 I II & stand by them.
    As a rule of thumb, any audio gear that looks like they spent too much time on the appearance isn't going to be as good.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

Invest in the Sennheiser [.....] they have replaceable parts. Most headphones end up cutting out on one chanel at some point. The beauty of the Sennheiser is that they sell replacement cables.

Oh yes. I've had my Sennheisers for a loong time thanks to this.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I really like the build quality on the audio technica line and they are way cheaper to replace when the inevitable happens.