Music You've Rediscovered Lately

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited May 2011 in Strut Central
I've been revisiting the Fleetwood Mac. The folksy-bluesy-rock is what I binged on when I started "getting into" music, and for a while, I was just sick of the sound and didn't play it anymore. But I've got a couple of records that I haven't even bothered to put back in the sleeve (so unlike me) just because I've been keeping them on heavy rotation.

My spin instructor always puts on an eclectic mix of music and one day she played some Carole King, and I went straight home and pulled out Tapestry. This has been my getting ready music for a minute now. Sorry, Aretha.

Nothing raer, just some wholesome tunes that remind me of younger days.

Comments

• Options
    The Beach Boys - Good Vibrations
    Mama's and The Papa's - Dream A Little Dream

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Almond said:
    I've been revisiting the Fleetwood Mac. The folksy-bluesy-rock is what I binged on when I started "getting into" music, and for a while, I was just sick of the sound and didn't play it anymore. But I've got a couple of records that I haven't even bothered to put back in the sleeve (so unlike me) just because I've been keeping them on heavy rotation.

My spin instructor always puts on an eclectic mix of music and one day she played some Carole King, and I went straight home and pulled out Tapestry. This has been my getting ready music for a minute now. Sorry, Aretha.

Nothing raer, just some wholesome tunes that remind me of younger days.

Probably my favorite 70s pop album, along with Something / Anything? by Todd Rundgren.

I think 'rediscovering' happens most of the time with pretty common or (underground) classic stuff. You just get tired of hearing it over and over again at home, at parties, etc. And then you go back after a while and it blows your mind like the first time. Or not.

Today i dropped the needle on Hot Buttered Soul after quite some time. It was absolutely wonderful. So fuckin' powerful and soulful.

• love this post-peter green, pre-buckingham/nicks fleetwood mac tune... "keep on going":

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Tonight after a long time I rediscovered Pete Townshend's "White City"

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    LP's I always seem to revert to every now and again:

(^^ which someone shipped to me from the US in a used pizza box - but also threw in an LP by Puzzle to say sorry for the pizza box)

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    LP's I always seem to revert to every now and again:

(^^ which someone shipped to me from the US in a used pizza box - but also threw in an LP by Puzzle to say sorry for the pizza box)

Is that the Brenda + Tabulations LP that includes a version of God Only Knows?

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I have reopened this record and I lurve it.

I want this record. Need this record.

Record gods,
    Bring it to me at a reasonable price.

Love,
    Elise

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

While doing some record spring cleaning

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts

Some relaxing industrial vibes.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    My JBs 45s.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Sigh "Imaginary Sonicscape"

played the shit outta this 10 years ago, then it got stolen...came across a blog with it a little bit ago and downloaded it...forgot about how it is such a true mindfuck of a metal record...there has never been a record like this before or since. A demented masterpiece.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Dante said:

Is that the Brenda + Tabulations LP that includes a version of God Only Knows?

No, that was on this:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    elise said:
    I have reopened this record and I lurve it.

I want this record. Need this record.

Record gods,
    Bring it to me at a reasonable price.

Love,
    Elise

I know I got an extra copy, maybe a little beat up, but yeah... shoot me an email or a facebook message

• john cale's "paris 1919"

so good.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• wyzewayzwyzewayz 303 Posts

may seem obvious, but at first, I always gravitated to the first lp and played it out for years, this one, which I finally got on LP from another strutter recentlyl, to me, is superior and just slammin all the way through------

• pcmr said:

While doing some record spring cleaning

Hmm. I haven't listened to that in some time. Great album. As for me, I've been revisiting some Van Morrison. I've been playing Astral Weeks, Moondance and Tupelo Honey repeatedly over the past week and a half and I had forgotten how much I absolutely LOVED those records. I've also rediscovered some Brazilian with Elis Regina and Maria Bethania.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    I've been revisiting the Jesus & Mary Chain back-catalogue. So good....the "Honey's Dead" album is fantastic from start to finish.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So this popped up out of nowhere on my player this morning and was like a punch to the emotional gut.

Had forgotten that I'd stuck a load of old Z-ro on there in the first place and then, on top of that, had forgotten what a heartbreaking mix of positivity in the chorus and sadness in the verses this song was. Body's not ready for that kind of raw feeling at 7 in the morning.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    After reading Peter Hook's Joy Division book I went on a JD/early New Order binge for a while. I've always liked the Joy Division records but found them so bleak that I didn't pull them out very often, especially Closer. But after reading the book, and how they weren't nearly as morose people as the music makes them seem I appreciated it in a new way. The live stuff that is included with the latest re-issues is really good too.

• Siamese Dream

played it to death in high school 20 yrs ago! Found a vinyls last week.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    James Blake s/t

Not that old, not that new and I had only heard The Wilhelm Scream until Harvey posted that Worldwide track that used To Care Like You. I have been skipping the more acoustic tracks, but yikes, this is kinda stunning!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    that Led Zeppeling I vs II thraed is making me want to get out the Led. Every once in a while I go on a Zep kick and the 15-year-old me feels happy.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Never even knew what this was in the early '90s. Just heard it on a lot of tapes.

ppadilha said:
    Every once in a while I go on a Zep kick and the 15-year-old me feels happy.

Yep. I over-killed the 70s cannon of Zep, The Doors, Beatles, Stones, Cream and stuff from 14 to 18. Hendrix is the one I have never really stopped listening to though.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    I over-killed the 70s cannon of Zep, The Doors, Beatles, Stones, Cream and stuff from 14 to 18. Hendrix is the one I have never really stopped listening to though.

I did the same thing, and then went a very long time without revisiting any of those because I associated it with crap I listened to when I was a teenager. When I fist got an ipod I remember trying to figure out what I would put on it, and going thru my cds I picked up Electric Ladyland and was like "I remember enjoying this." Then I listened to it on the way to work and realized how fucking amazing it is.

The Doors though, that's one band I've never felt the urge to revisit. I question the maturity of anyone over 16 who listens to them.

Pre-Spontaneity, K-Otix demo tapes. So good!

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    i've been watching a lot of youtube vids of Jamiroquai live in the mid-90s! that band was so in the pocket???the silly jamiroquai hats have aged, but i don't think the music has:

got started down that rabbit hole b/c i was listening to the "lost" Stuart Zender (OG jamiroquai bass player, and driving force?) album, which is also up on youtube (and killer):

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    i've been watching a lot of youtube vids of Jamiroquai live in the mid-90s! that band was so in the pocket???the silly jamiroquai hats have aged, but i don't think the music has:

got started down that rabbit hole b/c i was listening to the "lost" Stuart Zender (OG jamiroquai bass player, and driving force?) album, which is also up on youtube (and killer):

Must be something in the air, because I've been listening to some old live boots of Jamiroquai as well. Back in 94-95 they were a hell of a band, fuck the critics. Zender still slays me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Etta James - Seven Year Itch.

Liberated this from my College radio station back '89 when it dropped.

Ive been copying my entire CD collectron to a new fuckin back-up drive and came across this polished Blues/R&B effort.

Its sounded dated around the 90's, but now its aged well. She sang her ass off over questionable tracks.

This isn't even 2 years old, but I ain't listened to it in a minute...

"In a beef, I was frontline, getting my stripes, out here letting my nuts hang, risking my life."